Google spent 8 times more on government lobbying than Apple in Q2 2012

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google spent nearly $4 million for U.S. congressional lobbying in the second quarter of 2012, while Apple spent just $470,000.

The results, unearthed by Philip Elmer-Dewitt of Apple 2.0, reveal that Google spent more than 8 times as much as Apple on congressional lobbying. Both companies' amounts were down from the first quarter of 2012, when Google spent over $5 million, while Apple spent $500,000.

Public records show which specific bills Apple's lobbying efforts were related to in Washington. Among them was the Stop Online Piracy Act, the Protect IP Act, the Digital Goods and Services Tax Fairness Act, and the Job Creation & Innovation Act.

Apple also showed interest in digital textbooks, education technology funding, wireless spectrum assignments, and online consumer protection bills, particularly with respect to children's identities on the Internet.

Lobbying
Congressional lobbying disclosures, via Apple 2.0.

Also included on the list of specific lobbying issues was "Electronic Waste, Energy Star, EPEAT, Green Technology." Its inclusion is noteworthy because earlier this month Apple decided to withdraw its products from EPEAT green certification, only to reverse that decision and admit in the process that the company had made a "mistake."

The latest numbers show that the distance between Apple and Google in money spent on lobbying continues to grow. For example, in the first quarter of 2011, Apple spent about 560,000, or one-third the amount Google and Microsoft had each spent in the same three-month span.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Don't be evil.™

• Reply 2 of 38
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't be evil.

Both companies evil are down from previous quarter

• Reply 3 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Both companies evil are down from previous quarter

Be slightly less evil than before.™

• Reply 4 of 38
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Be slightly less evil than before.™

exactly

• Reply 5 of 38
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Don't be evil.

OK.  First explain why lobbying makes Google evil when there are few companies that don't lobby?  Even Apple does it, just to less extent than Google.  

This is a cheap shot at Google.  Google is paying lobbyist because their search and ad business is in the cross hairs of possible anti-trust lawsuits.  I can assure you their competitors are certainly lobbying for their side, hoping to get Google broken up as a monopoly.  Google is just playing the game making sure they have a few people in their corner.

Frankly, I find the existence of lobbyist sickening and I think it leads to corruption, but I blame the the politicians that take the money more than the companies. I think Google is just playing the game.  I suppose Apple people would rather Google just lay down and die.  Let's see if Apple stays pure in a few years when (and if) Google, Microsoft, and Samsung prepare to bring an anti-trust lawsuit against them over the iPad and iPhone.  If they don't lobby and simply let things fall where they may, then you can all point and laugh at me.

• Reply 6 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

OK.  First explain why lobbying makes Google evil when there are few companies that don't lobby?

I don't like lobbying. That's me, I guess. I believe in objective right, and lobbying doesn't seem right.

Quote:

Even Apple does it, just to less extent than Google.

Sure. And I don't like that, either. They do it less, though, so the more is open to jokes, if that's your bag. Google has the choice to not do it at all, just like Apple. Google has decided to do it far more than Apple.

• Reply 7 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

To be fair Google was spending a lot of money trying to protect network neutrality and make sure that the sale of the 700 MHz band came with those conditions. Such as allowing any device and any application. I would be in support of those initiatives.

• Reply 8 of 38
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

GOOGLE SUX!

• Reply 9 of 38
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member

Distasteful though it may be, Apple should probably spend more on this. Like patent lawsuits, it's a necessary evil. 

Also, with unlimited corporate donations to SuperPACs now legal, Apple might want to consider spending big on those, too. Apple could find some house and senate members who are in tight re-election races and offer to donate big $$ to SuperPACs supporting those candidates, provided that those candidates take Apple's positions on various issues. 

It's ugly, it's bad for America, but it's what the Supreme Court has given us. We all have to deal with the world as it exists, even as we might try to change it. 

• Reply 10 of 38
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

I don't like lobbying. That's me, I guess. I believe in objective right, and lobbying doesn't seem right.

Sure. And I don't like that, either. They do it less, though, so the more is open to jokes, if that's your bag. Google has the choice to not do it at all, just like Apple. Google has decided to do it far more than Apple.

I guess we really are in agreement for the most part then because I agree lobbyist are pathetic, soul-sucking vampires.  I would defend both Apple or Google purely on the grounds that I think most companies find themselves forced into lobbying because "the system" almost necessitates it, but as soon as you start paying a lobbyist, you're an enabler.  So I don't let them off the hook entirely...

• Reply 11 of 38
    Google is doing it wrong and giving the money to the wrong people. Apple is smart - give some cash to the judges (like Koh) and start getting results.

/S
  • Reply 12 of 38
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Public records show which specific bills Apple's lobbying efforts were related to in Washington. Among them was the Stop Online Piracy Act, the Protect IP Act, the Digital Goods and Services Tax Fairness Act, and the Job Creation & Innovation Act.

Did Apple lobby for or against SOPA/PIPA?  This is far more important than the mere fact that they were involved.

WRT the idea of lobbying in general, that's to be expected.  When you've got a government that rewards cronyism instead of innovation and productivity, then any company that wants to survive is going to do what it must to get established as political cronies.

When the whole system is corrupt, business either get similarly corrupt or they go out of business.

• Reply 13 of 38
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

wow did people even read the report?  - find out what the company is lobbying for first before passing judgement.

being against lobby "just because" is idiotic - if they using their money to convince the government to do something that is beneficial that is a good thing.

• Reply 14 of 38
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

One would think that Google shouldn't have to lobby for that. 

• Reply 15 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

To be fair Google was spending a lot of money trying to protect network neutrality and make sure that the sale of the 700 MHz band came with those conditions. Such as allowing any device and any application. I would be in support of those initiatives.

This is what I was thinking too, along with the Google Fiber thing. I think it's much bigger than yet another Android vs iOS sandbox.People lose sight that like a Venn diagram, most of each company is very different from the other and obviously these efforts and the money spent will be different as well. 

• Reply 16 of 38

This article is a repeat, I demand a better topic!

• Reply 17 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjunaid View Post

This article is a repeat, I demand a better topic!

Better pay up.

• Reply 18 of 38
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Google's priorities increasingly look like they have absolutely nothing to do with delighting the User. 

• Reply 19 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Don't be evil.™

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Someone has got to balance out all of the lobbying done by the RIAA and MPAA.

• Reply 20 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You're joking right? Didn't Google team up with Verizon and sell out on Network Neutrality?