Apple to release Mountain Lion Wednesday on Mac App Store

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple announced on Tuesday that OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, its next-generation Mac operating system, will hit the Mac App Store on Wednesday, July 25.

Mountain Lion will be available for download for OS X Lion and OS X Snow Leopard users at a price of $19.99. Users who bought a Mac after June 11 will receive the upgrade to Mountain Lion for free.

The announcement was made during Tuesday's fiscal third quarter results call by Apple CEO Tim Cook and is in line with previous reports from an AppleInsider source who hinted at a July 25 launch date, citing extended Apple employee working hours.

"We've also just updated the entire MacBook line, will release Mountain Lion tomorrow and will be launching iOS 6 this Fall," Cook said. "We are also really looking forward to the amazing new products we've got in the pipeline."

The new operating system brings features inspired by Apple's iOS platform, such as AirPlay Mirroring, Game Center, and tighter integration with iCloud.

Mountain Lion

Tuesday's announcement comes two weeks after Apple seeded the OS X Mountain Lion gold master to developers with no known issues. No major issues were found with the finalized version of the new OS including focus issues regarding graphic performance and quality; image and media importing, editing or viewing; and networking reliability and performance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

10.8.1 to follow on Thursday.

• Reply 2 of 96

I get my retina Macbook Pro tomorrow. The stars are aligning :D

• Reply 3 of 96
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member

Something NEW to look forward to tomorrow.

I am buying once and putting on 5 machines. :)

• Reply 4 of 96
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Bring it on.  Will do a clean-install and thorough testing on my 2011 MBA before I unleash it on my main iMac and the countless of Apple clients!

• Reply 5 of 96
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

sflocal, I asked how it runs compared to Lion and so far I've heard nothing but positive results.

Personally I'm so sick of the sluggish crash happy Lion this may be the first time I install an OS before a .1 update.  With that said I'm going to wait a few days just to make sure nothing blows-up with VMware etc..  If there are no improvements in ML Server I'll be downgrading my mini back to Snow Leopard.  I spend more time trying to figure out how to fix things than anything else....

• Reply 6 of 96
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Bring it on.  Will do a clean-install and thorough testing on my 2011 MBA before I unleash it on my main iMac and the countless of Apple clients!

Tested it weeks ago here.  It's hardly any different from Lion except the consumer-oriented (iCloud) features so there isn't really much to test out before deploying if you are distributing in a work environment.  

I will be installing it on my home machine Wednesday morning before work.  

Unless it isn't out yet, then I will do it remotely *from* work.  :-)

Can't wait for that iCloud integration with iWork apps. (Finally!) 

• Reply 7 of 96
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

... Personally I'm so sick of the sluggish crash happy Lion this may be the first time I install an OS before a .1 update.  ...

If Lion is crashing all the time you are doing something seriously wrong.  

It's arguably the least crashable OS ever made since OS-X is king (queen?) of "non-crashability" in general and gets better at it with every iteration.  

• Reply 8 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's arguably the least crashable OS ever made since OS-X is king (queen?) of "non-crashability" in general and gets better at it with every iteration.  

But man, oh, man was that ever not true about the DPs. image

I actually had one of the Mountain Lion DPs kernel panic on me twice. Kernel panics are handled differently in Mountain Lion than ever before (than before Snow Leopard and earlier, at least; I never had Lion kernel panic, so I can't say). The computer just instantly shuts down and restarts, and instead of the Apple logo on the grey screen, you get "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Wait a few seconds or press any key to continue."

• Reply 9 of 96
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

"Apple seeded the OS X Mountain Lion gold master to developers with no known issues."

Yeah, right.

• Reply 10 of 96
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

How did Apple do compared to its own projections (which have historically been conservative)?

• Reply 11 of 96
    No plans to update.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

What time? What time zone?

Come on, I want to know if I should stay up until 5am! :D

• Reply 13 of 96

You can probably expect it on the App Store between 10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M. Pacific Time. Might be best to wait a few days while the initial crowd downloads it.

On that topic, has anyone noticed a slow down in iTunes/Mac App store download speed over the last two weeks or so? I'm on a 30Mbps network and yet most of the time I get 0.5MB/sec. Both on Mac and PC.

• Reply 14 of 96
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member

It's already Wednesday here! :P

I've been using ML for months, and even the GM has issues that annoy me. Safari is still crashing/freezing on many tasks. 

• Reply 15 of 96
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member

Can't wait. I've been running Mountain Lion DP for the last couple of months and GM for two weeks, and my MBA 11" (late 2010, 128 SSD, 4GB RAM) has been crashing like crazy.  If this shiatsu still happens when I install the retail version, amma sue Apple!  ...no actually I won't, but amma be pissed! 

• Reply 16 of 96
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

No plans to update.

Why not?  I've been using the DP version for months and even though it's horribly unstable, I still think it's heaps better than Lion.  It's well worth the measly $19 especially if you've also other iOS devices.  

• Reply 17 of 96
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not on my 2010 MBP it isn't.  It has numerous freezing kernel panic issues relating to browser use and graphics card switching.  Hoping ML will be better and finally fix the problems.  I'm not alone in this.  There are numerous threads on the Apple forums about this model and Lion.

• Reply 18 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Why not?

Because she's a troll.

• Reply 19 of 96
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

Hopefully Safari works better. I have found Safari to be incredibly slow with the spinning beach ball and constant "The web page is frozen, click here to reload all your pages, including 3 open youtube videos and other websites where you have to log back in" errors. 

It's still better than FireFox, and Google Chrome I have not been impressed with for the Mac (it reminds me of IE for Windows)

• Reply 20 of 96
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and I am running OS X 10.8 and have had no issues at all. Though I do have the max 8GB of RAM. Not sure what your setup is.I have had all the DP’s as well and they all seemed to work pretty well minus the annoying little bugs of the new features not working like they should and whatnot. I am however doing a full clean install of Mountain Lion tonight just to purge everything since having installed all the DP’s it might have moved stuff around. Best to start fresh.