Apple releases Safari 6 with offline reading for OS X 10.7 Lion

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For those with OS X 10.7 Lion who aren't ready to upgrade to Wednesday's release of Mountain Lion, Safari 6 is now available for download, though a Windows version of Safari 6 remains absent.

Safari 6 for Lion can be downloaded through Software Update in OS X. New features of Safari 6 highlighted by Apple include:
  • Smart Search Field. Safari now has one field for typing both searches and Web addresses.
  • Offline Reading List. Safari saves entire webpages in your Reading List so you can catch up on your reading even when you don't have an Internet connection.
  • Do Not Track. Safari can send the websites you visit a request not to track you online.
  • Password pane. Manage your saved website logins with the new Password pane.
  • Baidu. The leading Chinese search engine Baidu is now a built-in option for Chinese users.
unified browser interface

In addition to new features, Safari 6 for OS X Lion also includes improvements to stability, compatibility, usability, and security. These changes:
  • Make the swipe to navigate gesture work with PDFs.
  • Restore the state of Reading List when Safari is launched.
  • Fix an issue that affected full screen video in webpages that have positioned content.
  • Restore the user's previous cookies after Private Browsing without requiring a Safari relaunch.
The last update to Safari, version 5.1.7, arrived for Lion users in May. It automatically disabled old versions of Adobe's Flash player that don't have the most up-to-date security features.

Safari for Windows was not updated on Wednesday, but version 5.1.7 remains available for download from Apple's site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Said it before, but it's more relevant here: I hope I'm not the only one that hates what they've done with tabs, and I certainly hope I'm not the only one that thinks Tab View is completely and utterly wrong in its execution. It needs to be a grid, like Top Sites.

• Reply 2 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Said it before, but it's more relevant here: I hope I'm not the only one that hates what they've done with tabs, and I certainly hope I'm not the only one that thinks Tab View is completely and utterly wrong in its execution. It needs to be a grid, like Top Sites.

It is a little perplexing why they've went for a horizontal (almost Microsoft Metro-like) scrollable strip.

Oh wait... excuse to use multi-touch scrolling. Never mind. :-D /s

• Reply 3 of 48
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member

Did they drop RSS support?!

• Reply 4 of 48
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

Quote:

What do you dislike about tabs?

• Reply 5 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

What do you dislike about tabs?

Instead of being a uniform size until the entire bar is full, they start as the full bar, cutting in half as you create more tabs, until it runs over.

• Reply 6 of 48

I can't stand the new tab view either.  I liked the small tab so it was easy to double click to the right of it for a new tab.  Now the tab is virtually the whole width of the Safari window with the plus sign to the far right.  I've loved Safari so far but may have to look to Firefox now.  Would rather they give us an option to have the regular tab view back though.  Glad I'm not the only one, first thing I noticed.

• Reply 7 of 48

Has RSS been completely removed?

Can anyone recommend an RSS reader. Always used Safari and have been very happy with it.

Shame to see it go.

• Reply 8 of 48

Now that everyone can have Safari 6, I'd ask that everyone goes here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

And request they BRING THE ACTIVITY WINDOW BACK.

• Reply 9 of 48
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Yes...Apple abandoned RSS. Perplexes me. That was one of Safari's compelling features. Really like being able to keep up with RSS within the browser.  Don't understand why Apple would encourage a user to leave Safari to get their RSS content. RSS is used by many sites.  

At the moment, Reeder and Netnewswire are viable RSS options (via App store). 

As posted here earlier, send feedback to Apple. Personally, I'd like to see the RSS function return.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 10 of 48
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamilton77fan View Post

I can't stand the new tab view either.  I liked the small tab so it was easy to double click to the right of it for a new tab.  Now the tab is virtually the whole width of the Safari window with the plus sign to the far right.  I've loved Safari so far but may have to look to Firefox now.  Would rather they give us an option to have the regular tab view back though.  Glad I'm not the only one, first thing I noticed.

Does hiding the Tab bar not address what you're talking about?

• Reply 11 of 48

What a shame. Activity Window has gone as well? It can't be bought back via the dev menu?

Would they not stop dumbing these things down. Seriously less is not always more!

• Reply 12 of 48

Quote:

CMD + OPTION + A?

Maybe its hidden in the developer menu?

• Reply 13 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

I humbly disagree. I really like the tab system and in Mountain Lion they added kind of what you asked for anyway, you can have all tabs in a series you can swipe between rather like a variation on Top Sites (which I hate and never use lol ). Different strokes ...
  • Reply 14 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I can assure anyone thinking about NOT upgrading to Mountain Lion from Lion should rethink. It is very stable and faster than Lion and very, very few incompatibilities. I use all Apple Pro apps and CS6. Well we all know about Adobe. ..... Nuff said.
  • Reply 15 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

CMD + OPTION + A?

They took it away when we went from Safari 5.2 to Safari 6 in the DPs. It's completely gone. Command+Option+A is now the Inspector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digital clips View Post

…you can swipe between rather like a variation on Top Sites…

But it's nothing at all like Top Sites. If I wanted to see one tab at a time, I'd just go back to Safari 1, because that's how it has been since the very beginning. It's the same as viewing a single web page. You can't see the other tabs around, so it's just pointless to have at all. Why would swiping between tabs instead of just clicking them (and getting access far more quickly) be better than being able to pull back and see all the tabs at once and jump directly to the one you know is right (from sight)?

They'll fix it, it just shouldn't have ever gone out like this.

• Reply 16 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Instead of being a uniform size until the entire bar is full, they start as the full bar, cutting in half as you create more tabs, until it runs over.

When you mentioned the change I assumed you meant the new Show All Tabs button. It wasn't until this comment that I even remembered that the tab length used to smaller which means it has become a non-issue for more over the months.

I use to click in any of the unused tab bar space to create another tab but since this change I got in the habit of hitting Command+T to start another tab. This seems faster and more efficient.

I do miss that but I've found a workaround. Mostly I wanted Activity Window to easily download videos from the web. I found this site that seems to work well with parsing out the files.

CMD + OPTION + A?

Since the change TS mentioned that command only opens the Page Resources in Web Inspector.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

That's why you don't work at Apple.

• Reply 18 of 48
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Is anyone else having trouble obtaining it? http://www.apple.com/safari/downloads redirects back to the main Safari page. If I open App Store and click "Updates" I'm told there are "No Updates Available". And the latest version on Developer Connection is from June 20th. 

• Reply 19 of 48
    zozo Posts: 3,117member

Where the hell is the RSS reader!?!?! It was the best all round RSS reader! I DEPEND on it for thousands of feeds that I have to keep track of every day!

FFS can anyone give a temporary fix for me? Alt app? Something that will import my Safari feeds and get me on my feet asap?

thanks

• Reply 20 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I use to click in any of the unused tab bar space to create another tab but since this change I got in the habit of hitting Control+T to start another tab. 

Huh? What a slip up!!! Shame on you!

;)