Former Apple employees reportedly working on Facebook iPhone app

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Facebook has allegedly hired a team of former Apple software engineers to revamp its iPhone app and reports claim the social media giant is planning a major code overhaul in lieu of a simple update.

Sources told Bloomberg on Wednesday that four former Apple iOS experts have been hired by Facebook to work on speed and performance enhancements which are expected to be released in an upcoming version of the company's app for iDevices.

According to the publication, touch-screen UI developer Greg Novick; iPhone software gurus Tim Omernick and Chris Tremblay; and creator of Apple's first-party Stocks app Scott Goodson are slated to join the Facebook team. Also working on the project after having their company Push Pop Press acquired by Facebook are former Apple designers Mike Matas and Kimon Tsinteris, who are credited with helping to create the look and feel of iOS. Matas, for example, is credited with thinking up the battery icon an iPhone displays when the device is charging.

The news is in line with reports from nearly a month ago that claimed Facebook was working on a completely rebuilt iOS app which was supposedly set to launch in July.

Facebook

Facebook is also said to be developing its own handset in cooperation with HTC and a May report claimed the company hired "more than half a dozen" former Apple hardware and software engineers who worked on the iPhone as well as one iPad engineer to complete the task. The branded phone was rumored to debut sometime between late 2012 and mid-2013 but Bloomberg now reports the timetable has been pushed back to give HTC "more time to work on other products."

Most recently Facebook launched its new App Center to promote web-based programs that integrate with the company's social network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Any Facebook App is spyware to be avoided.

Unless you want Net fame.

• Reply 2 of 13
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Agreed. One app I won't use. I have a feeling though, it might be one that Apple imbeds. Hope we can delete it.

• Reply 3 of 13
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    It's about time! Get this thing out! I can't believe it took this long to update it, especially when so many people have complained about how slow it is.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Agreed. One app I won't use. I have a feeling though, it might be one that Apple imbeds. Hope we can delete it.

They didn't auto-install Twitter. They won't Facebook.

• Reply 5 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Are you one of those geeks that are too paranoid about their personal info?

People use FB because they want net fame? lol, too narrow

• Reply 6 of 13
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member

Quote:

Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Are you one of those geeks that are too paranoid about their personal info?

People use FB because they want net fame? lol, too narrow

Of course...

My desire to see photos from my grandmother... family on the other side of the country... mom's vacation photos...

Obviously I only care about those things to have net fame.

• Reply 7 of 13
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    The Facebook app is garbage. Notifications don't work a good chunk of the time, loading your wall or someone else's is laughably slow...it just goes on. Don't even get me started on the android version. It's even worse.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The Facebook app is garbage. Notifications don't work a good chunk of the time, loading your wall or someone else's is laughably slow...it just goes on. Don't even get me started on the android version. It's even worse.

It's a memory hog and crashes constantly. Everytime my iPhone or iPad starts acting up I find dozens of crashes for Facebook.

If they have some Apple folks working on the app good. They will finally have folks that have a clue
  • Reply 9 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    charlituna wrote: »

It's a memory hog and crashes constantly. Everytime my iPhone or iPad starts acting up I find dozens of crashes for Facebook.

I hear that from many people. Good thing one can access their site through Safari.

[quote}If they have some Apple folks working on the app good. They will finally have folks that have a clue[/quote]

Excellent point!

I have seen one of their earlier versions, which had all these icons laid out just like iOS' springboard. Then I read in the iOS Developer Guideline that one should not mimic iOS springboard in their app as it would confuse people. You know, opening an app and then looking at something similar to what you were viewing in the first place.

Facebook. Clues, that's what they need.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

Of course...

My desire to see photos from my grandmother... family on the other side of the country... mom's vacation photos...

Obviously I only care about those things to have net fame.

For that purpose Facebook makes sense, but only if they  keep your info within your desired group of users.

As I found with my FB ID,  FB unfortunately doesn't honor your group, but regularly changes the settings structure so one's info is public to the world.

• Reply 11 of 13
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

About time. The Facebook app is slow, clunky and unreliable - amazing for such a large company where such a high proportion of users access the service via smartphones. They urgently need some Apple-inspired UI advice.

• Reply 12 of 13
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

That would be good. Using the web version of Facebook on the iPhone is a Far better experience than the horrible, horrible app.

That being said, although I despise Facebook, at least it isn't a Google property.

• Reply 13 of 13

I will bet the new app is being developed so that advertising will finally be part of Facebook Mobile... their biggest revenue weakness.