Apple, Google bidding on Kodak patents

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was revealed on Friday that both Apple and Google and putting bids in for Kodak's patent portfolio though details regarding the arrangements are scarce.

In a tweet from Wall Street Journal editor Dennis Berman, Apple and Google were named as perspective customers of Kodak's upcoming patent sell-off expected to take place in August. A follow-up tweet noted the two companies were front-runners in the patent bidding war.

Kodak seeks to sell off part of its massive patent pile, specifically IP in the 'digital-capture' portfolio, as part of terms attached to a granted loan meant to keep the company afloat during corporate restructuring.

While it was known that the former photography giant was shopping around patents, the parties involved in bidding were kept secret until now.

Kodak Tweet
Source: Dennis Berman's Twitter feed

According to the Journal, Apple has reportedly formed a group with Microsoft and patent firm Intellectual Ventures to bid against Google's group of powerhouse companies Samsung, HTC, LG and patent firm RTX. The groupings are similar to a previous Nortel patent sell-off that pitted Apple, Microsoft, Research in Motion, Sony and EMC against Google and Intel.

Most recently Apple lost a bid to transfer a Kodak suit out of New York bankruptcy court and into the state's district court, move that could have hindered the photography pioneer's patent sale proceedings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a tweet from Wall Street Journal editor Dennis Berman, Apple and Google were named as perspective customers of Kodak's upcoming patent sell-off expected to take place in August. 

As opposed to those customers who see the world in 2D?

• Reply 2 of 13
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

I kinda lol'd at that. Apple couldn't win 'em so it tries to buy 'em.

• Reply 3 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Holy...!  "...perspective customers..."?

Guys, come on.

• Reply 4 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Thanks for the "Block Member" heads up.

• Reply 5 of 13
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    It's funny how Apple had been teaming up with Microsoft for these patent buys. Perfect frenemies to fight Google I suppose
  • Reply 6 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

It's funny how Apple had been teaming up with Microsoft for these patent buys. Perfect frenemies to fight Google I suppose

Yes, Google is a threat to both MS and Apple. I expect their "marriage of convenience" to continue.

• Reply 7 of 13

I love competition but this is the wrong kind of competition. That money could be used to you know innovate. This patent scrap is a mess. We need new patent laws that are clear and accurate and make since for the year 2012 not the 1800s

• Reply 8 of 13
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

When people talk about Apple acquiring new patents either through the patent office or buying portfolios everyone seems to jump into the discussion of who they are going to impose licenses on etc. I tend more to wonder what kind of features it will help them add to upcoming products. Does anyone know what enhancements (if any) these patents would grant apple in future product releases?

• Reply 9 of 13
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Actually, Apple has only been trying to win one patent from Kodak, and the fight is ongoing. Apple and Microsoft, however, don't want 1) patent trolls to get the patents, or 2) Google's partners so that they can use it as defensive ammunition. Further, it makes sense as Apple and Microsoft have an extensive cross licensing agreement. 

• Reply 10 of 13
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

When people talk about Apple acquiring new patents either through the patent office or buying portfolios everyone seems to jump into the discussion of who they are going to impose licenses on etc. I tend more to wonder what kind of features it will help them add to upcoming products. Does anyone know what enhancements (if any) these patents would grant apple in future product releases?

You might be correct sometimes, but this buy isn't about features. It is about keeping the patents out of patent trolls hands, and preventing Google from using them to defend Android. The patents are all older. 

• Reply 11 of 13
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You might be correct sometimes, but this buy isn't about features. It is about keeping the patents out of patent trolls hands, and preventing Google from using them to defend Android. The patents are all older. 

If they are older though I don't see the value, If they are of no value to Apples products and are obsolete to their competitors then I don't see the value in ownership of them unless they plan to implement the tech in their products.

Keeping it from Google is pointless if its too outdated for google to use.  

• Reply 12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

I love competition but this is the wrong kind of competition. That money could be used to you know innovate. This patent scrap is a mess. We need new patent laws that are clear and accurate and make since for the year 2012 not the 1800s

Legal disputes are and always have been a part of business. That's a plain fact.

• Reply 13 of 13
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google's group of powerhouse companies Samsung, HTC, LG and patent firm RTX.

It's RPX not RTX.

e.g. http://www.scribd.com/doc/56754406/RPX-Criminal-Complaint