Wintek sales spike 61% ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iPad mini'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple supplier Wintek saw its sales grow 61 percent month over month in July — an increase that has been interpreted as a sign that the company has received orders for Apple's anticipated 'iPad mini.'

Analyst Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets said in a note to investors on Wednesday that Wintek Corporation reported July consolidated sales that were up 61 percent month over month from June. Wintek is one of the most important touch panel manufacturers in the world and is a key partner of Apple's.

White said the month of July was the best on record for Wintek, an increase that may signal Apple is securing parts for its next-generation products. He believes Wintek has likely secured orders for Apple's so-called "iPad mini," a smaller touchscreen tablet expected to have a 7.85-inch display.

Wintek's sales growth in July is particularly noteworthy because the company's June sales dropped drastically. The decrease in sales in June was seen as further evidence that Apple is planning to use in-cell touch panel technology for its next iPhone, a component that is not expected to be provided by Wintek. Numerous reports have indicated Apple plans to use in-cell touchscreens, allowing the display on its next iPhone to be even thinner.

White also believes that the next iPhone will have in-cell touch panels, which is why he believes Wintek's sales spike in July is likely related to an "iPad mini," rather than the iPhone.

iPad

One report in July suggested Apple would use the same display technology found in the iPhone 3GS for its new, smaller iPad. The 7.85-inch display is rumored to featurea screen resolution of 1,024-by-768, and using the same panel as the iPhone 3GS would result in the same glass-on-glass touch solution used in Apple's products rather than the rumored new in-cell technology.

Topeka Capital Markets has maintained a price target for AAPL stock of $1,111. White sees a number of new products in Apple's near future, including the next iPhone, a smaller iPad, and the potential for a full-fledged Apple television set.

Apple's smaller iPad is expected to arrive later this year. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI Securities said last month that Apple plans to debut its next-generation iPhone in September, and will follow up with the 7.85-inch iPad shortly after.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

So reality check. Still no CONCRETE proof of an iPad Mini?

The increase buy could be for the rumored new iPod Nano or even an iPhone Nano, who's to say because Wintek's sales went up, that it automatically means "New iPad Mini coming!"

• Reply 2 of 20
    chrisnhchrisnh Posts: 41member

All the talk about the iPad 'mini' having the 'same glass' as the iPhone 3GS is likely to have some people concluding that it won't be 'as good' as the new, larger iPad. Or won't LOOK 'as good.'

Is there any validity to this?

• Reply 3 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

All the talk about the iPad 'mini' having the 'same glass' as the iPhone 3GS is likely to have some people concluding that it won't be 'as good' as the new, larger iPad. Or won't LOOK 'as good.'

Is there any validity to this?

Well considering the rumored price is $250 or less (half the price of the new iPad) I think everyone expects it to not be "as good" as the bigger iPads.

• Reply 4 of 20
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    blackbook wrote: »
    So reality check. Still no CONCRETE proof of an iPad Mini?

The increase buy could be for the rumored new iPod Nano or even an iPhone Nano, who's to say because Wintek's sales went up, that it automatically means "New iPad Mini coming!"

A 61% increase can't really be explained by an iPod Nano or iPhone Nano. You'd need to sell billions of 2" screens to increase their sales volume that much.

There are only a couple of plausible explanations:

1. They are capturing a greater portion of Apple's business - taking business away from one of the other screen manufacturers.

2. Apple is planning a new product to be released this fall that uses a significant amount of screen area (like an 8" Nano)

3. Apple is planning a dramatic increase in sales of existing products - for example, projecting that "the new iPhone" will lead to a massive surge in sales or a new revision of the iPad which will increase sales significantly.

Of the three, I think #3 is less likely. Both the iPhone and iPad are well-established and it's unlikely that they're going to get a massive surge.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Still not buying it. And I don't mean [I]that[/I]; usually buy one of each.
  • Reply 6 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

A 61% increase can't really be explained by an iPod Nano or iPhone Nano. You'd need to sell billions of 2" screens to increase their sales volume that much.

1. They are capturing a greater portion of Apple's business - taking business away from one of the other screen manufacturers.

2. Apple is planning a new product to be released this fall that uses a significant amount of screen area (like an 8" Nano)

3. Apple is planning a dramatic increase in sales of existing products - for example, projecting that "the new iPhone" will lead to a massive surge in sales or a new revision of the iPad which will increase sales significantly.

Of the three, I think #3 is less likely. Both the iPhone and iPad are well-established and it's unlikely that they're going to get a massive surge.

I'd be happier if it was a year over year increase... If Google Translate is to be believed, it's trailing last July by 1.5% and August last year by 10%.  So much for #2 on face value.

(Sept and october dropped...November was same as August and December grew back to 125% of Jul 2011... this would track about 2-3 week 'pipeline' between building and assembling and selling... about what Tim Cook likes... Stuff Built in December is sold in December/January)

so by your logic, apple is asking for about 2% LESS glass from them than last year?   hardly 'dramatic', given current sales demand.  

My guess...  June was a change in the production line for a 'new glass type,' hence lower revenues.  Either that, or another supplier is switching this month, hence shifting demand to WinTek.

>>>>Caveat:  Apple may be beating WinTek up for price discounts for 'established product lines' and there maybe a lot more glass being purchased per Yuan.

• Reply 7 of 20
    so by your logic, apple is asking for about 2% LESS glass from them than last year?   hardly 'dramatic', given current sales

Well if we believe that Apple has moved the iPhone to in-cell tech using a different supplier that would account for the dramatic decline but not the recent bump.

If the in-cell rumor was wrong than as you say this is not news.

If the next iPhone is in-cell jragosta might be right, but I'm not getting my hopes up for an iPad Mini.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What a nice post.  Very thoughtful !

• Reply 9 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

What a nice post.  Very thoughtful !

I haven't seen a post yet from him that wasn't, one of the best posters on this board IMO. Need more like him and less of the avalanche of trolls that have invaded recently to get this place back to what it used to be. 

• Reply 10 of 20

Surely this IPAD "mini" shouldn't even get to market as it is illegally copying the Google Nexus in terms of shape and size?

Let's hope Google and Samsung hold Apple up to its word when it comes to stealing ideas off others! ahaha

• Reply 11 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by spharple View Post

Surely this IPAD "mini" shouldn't even get to market as it is illegally copying the Google Nexus in terms of shape and size?

I foresee a long, bright future for you here.

• Reply 12 of 20

Well Apple is always complaining about others copying/stealing their work, yet they do exactly that!

• Reply 13 of 20

Well Apple is always complaining about others copying/stealing their work, yet they do exactly that!

Nope. You can't be serious.

• Reply 14 of 20

Apple are copying the shape and size of a competitors design, the Google Nexus, you bet if Apple came out with the IPAD MINI they would be sueing Google or anyone trying to do likewise.

I bet the IPHONE5 will also illegally COPY the larger screen of the Samsung phones.

• Reply 15 of 20

Apple are copying the shape and size of a competitors design, the Google Nexus, you bet if Apple came out with the IPAD MINI they would be sueing Google or anyone trying to do likewise.

I bet the IPHONE5 will also illegally COPY the larger screen of the Samsung phones.

BA! Oh, you got me. So many people actually believe this crap that you did get me. Good one!

• Reply 16 of 20
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    I actually think that we'll soon find that the iPad mini is actually an iPod Maxi - that is, a larger 7 inch iPod touch. if I know anything about Apple, and I think I do, then this is more likely to be the upcoming product. If its called an iPad mini, people will complain its too small (which it is), but if it's called a 7 inch iPod Touch, then that would sell.
  • Reply 17 of 20

Originally Posted by leighr View Post

I actually think that we'll soon find that the iPad mini is actually an iPod Maxi - that is, a larger 7 inch iPod touch. if I know anything about Apple, and I think I do, then this is more likely to be the upcoming product. If its called an iPad mini, people will complain its too small (which it is), but if it's called a 7 inch iPod Touch, then that would sell.

… How? it's too small to be usable and too big to put anywhere when you're out and about. The name doesn't change that.

• Reply 18 of 20

If Apple brings to market an IPAD MINI or IPHONE5 with larger screen it will infringe on designs and other patents from Samsung who INVENTED the larger screen format for mobile phones. It should be against the law for Apple to increase the screen size as it will look just like a Samsung phone and confuse consumers.

• Reply 19 of 20

If Apple brings to market an IPAD MINI or IPHONE5 with larger screen it will infringe on designs and other patents from Samsung who INVENTED the larger screen format for mobile phones. It should be against the law for Apple to increase the screen size as it will look just like a Samsung phone and confuse consumers.

No, see, it was funny before, but now you're just pushing it. Move to some new material.

• Reply 20 of 20
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… How? it's too small to be usable and too big to put anywhere when you're out and about. The name doesn't change that.

Actually a 7"(or let's say 6.8")  iPod Touch would be quite usable for games, and reading, just not so useful for typing, creating documents etc. So, psychologically, a 6.8" iPod Touch is a much better marketing strategy than a 6.8" iPad.