Video describes iPhone 5 face as longer, thinner and more scratch resistant

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A video purporting to examine the front panel of the upcoming iPhone 5 in comparison with the existing iPhone 4S details new differences in specifications, yet remains consistent with previous reports of a larger, taller display and a centered FaceTime camera.

The video, distributed by ETrade Supply details a new iPhone 5 screen part as having a Home button 0.3mm narrower (allowing for a shorter lower "chin") with room for a larger 4.06 inch display, thanks to a frame that is 13.6 mm taller but the same width.

The video notes that the new panel has higher light transmittance, a feature that should help the screen appear brighter without as much backlighting, potentially contributing to better battery life. It also indicates that the new screen is significantly more resistant to scratches.

The new panel's glass is also measures just .9 mm thick, compared to the 1.0mm thickness of the present iPhone 4S.

The thinner glass is consistent with a report by the Wall Street Journal that stated Apple will now be using a touchscreen sensor integrated into the device's LCD panel, an advance known as "in-cell technology."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57

Aside from iPhone 5 and The New iPhone..

iPhone 4GS

GS for Good-sized Screen.

1st: iPhone

2nd: iPhone 3G

3rd: iPhone 3GS

4th: iPhone 4

5th: iPhone 4S

6th: iPhone 4GS

• Reply 2 of 57
    I just love the finger condoms. IDK why they couldn't just put on normal latex gloves. :D
  • Reply 3 of 57
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Aside from iPhone 5 and The New iPhone..

iPhone 4GS

GS for Good-sized Screen.

1st: iPhone

2nd: iPhone 3G

3rd: iPhone 3GS

4th: iPhone 4

5th: iPhone 4S

6th: iPhone 4GS

Or, following the lead of every other Apple product, including the iPad:

6th: (the new) iPhone

• Reply 4 of 57
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Waiting for the OCD crowd to explain to us yet again why it is the iPhone 6 and not 5 even though everyone else in the world understands exactly what 5 means and Apple will likely just call it the new iPhone as they did with the iPad. (Even though the public calls it the iPad 3)

Who knows if this rumor is true or a misinformation leak. For the sake of discussion I will assume it is true for now. I think the longer screen is better than the current size on the 4S but it really is not a big enough difference to really notice. If you want to go larger, why not at least go to 4.3" and make it wider as well.  That seems to be a happy medium for people wanting a large screen vs. people complaining about pocketability and one handed use.  Unless you are a dwarf that wears skinny jeans you would have no problem putting a 4.3" iPhone in your pocket. 

• Reply 5 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

…not 5 even though everyone else in the world understands exactly what 5 means… 

I'm certain they don't, given that they keep calling it "5". image

And how can you be more scratch resistant than 'fully'? I can't scratch my 1st gen's screen to save my life. 

• Reply 6 of 57
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

I was hoping for wider, not taller. I could easily fit a wider phone in my hand, but taller makes holding and clicking in one hand a bit more problematic. 

Ah well :\

• Reply 7 of 57
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Hoping the new iPhone is more than just 0.1mm thinner than the 4S.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    new iPhone 5 screen part as having a Home button 0.3mm narrower (allowing for a shorter lower "chin") with room for a larger 4.06 inch display, thanks to a frame that is 13.6 mm taller but the same width.

I still hope it's a joke.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Still waiting for some genius to actually measure the height of the thing as well as the thickness of the assembled parts.

• Reply 10 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Hoping the new iPhone is more than just 0.1mm thinner than the 4S.

So you don't want usable battery life?

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

So you don't want a bigger phone?

• Reply 11 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    djrumpy wrote: »
    I was hoping for wider, not taller. I could easily fit a wider phone in my hand, but taller makes holding and clicking in one hand a bit more problematic. 

Ah well :\

Holding the phone in one hand in portrait mode your thumb pivots from one side of the device. That means you get the length of the thumb horizontally and nearly 2x the length of the thumb vertically. I can easily touch the ear piece of my iPhone when holding in one hand than I can move farther out. But making it wider also causes other issues because the far upper and lower corners on the opposite ends of the thumb's pivot are dead zones. This isn't helped with a taller device but it's impact is less than making the phone wider.

It's also brilliant that all the rumours are using the same width and pixel density so that al current apps will still be represented pixel-for-pixel on the device. They could do this with a wider display, too, so long as they keep the PPI the same but centering left and right seems less pleasing than centering top to bottom or using the top for notifications.

Other benefits are bringing it 1 pixel away from being 16:9 aspect ratio for videos without losing any of the usability of the 3:2 design, and making the device only a little longer despite making the display many millimeters longer in comparison.

I am certainly excited for the rumours we've seen and hope they are all true.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

When the next iPhone looks like a Star-Trek-Next-Generation-Uniform-Communicator-Pin then give me a call.  Until then, this is just another in what is becoming a long line of smart phones that are getting as boring as the old flip phones became.

• Reply 13 of 57
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

So do I. It just looks awkward and a bit strange. Maybe after holding it and actually using it I might feel different. It won't really matter to me that much since I will likely skip the iPhone 5 and wait for the iPhone 6 when it is released next year when I can use my upgrade credit. I might change my mind if the rumors are false and the iPhone 5 really beats expectations. If the current rumors are true, hopefully Apple will receive enough negative backlash and lowered sales that they will finally relent and give us a wider phone next year with at least a 4.3" or larger screen. 

• Reply 14 of 57
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Still waiting for some genius to actually measure the height of the thing as well as the thickness of the assembled parts.

Yeah because as of now even with all the supposed technology going into this thing it looks as thick as the 4 which I believe Apple could do better than that.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I bet you the reality of owning one proves it's the exact same glass.

• Reply 16 of 57
    So you don't want usable battery life?

So you don't want a bigger phone?

Thinner display tech + a more energy efficient display and processor should = a thinner phone that at least matched the 4S's battery life.

Personally hoping for at least one aspect of the hardware design to wow people such as its overall thinness.
  • Reply 17 of 57

I don't need thinner, I want more battery.

More screen? Fine with me.

And LTE ftw.

• Reply 18 of 57
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It also indicates that the new screen is significantly more resistant to scratches.

Great.  But I sure hope the oleophobic coating last longer than it did on my ancient iPhone 4.

It's pretty much worn off after 2+ years of daily use.  :-(

• Reply 19 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Yeah because as of now even with all the supposed technology going into this thing it looks as thick as the 4 which I believe Apple could do better than that.

Yeah, I know it's stupid but I want to believe that it's even a millimetre thinner. :-)

I have a practical reason for wanting to know the height of the thing though as I really want to know if it's likely to turn sideways in my pocket the way all the previous iPhones did.  Of course I will buy it anyway but still. 

• Reply 20 of 57
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Waiting for the OCD crowd to explain to us yet again why it is the iPhone 6 and not 5 even though everyone else in the world understands exactly what 5 means and Apple will likely just call it the new iPhone as they did with the iPad. (Even though the public calls it the iPad 3)

Who knows if this rumor is true or a misinformation leak. For the sake of discussion I will assume it is true for now. I think the longer screen is better than the current size on the 4S but it really is not a big enough difference to really notice. If you want to go larger, why not at least go to 4.3" and make it wider as well.  That seems to be a happy medium for people wanting a large screen vs. people complaining about pocketability and one handed use.  Unless you are a dwarf that wears skinny jeans you would have no problem putting a 4.3" iPhone in your pocket. 

So accurately noting that this is the 6th, not 5th iPhone is 'OCD'?

In any event, it will simply be called 'The New iPhone', so its a moot point. No more numbers.