Scroll bars...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do you set them so that the arrows are doubled on both ends?

I know you could do it in 10.1, but can you even in 10.2?

--10.2.2 by the way...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You can do it with TinkerTool. I'm having problems with such general preferences not sticking though. Another one that isn't sticking is font smoothing on fonts 8-point or larger. It periodically reverts back to 9-point.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    That's strange, Eugene. :confused: I've had double arrows on both ends and my aa threshold to 8 since 10.2 was first installed and it has yet to revert.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Just to chime in: same thing with my mom's account.

The 8pt limit sticks in my account to, but I don't use the double scroll bars at both ends option.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Admittedly I don't know much about the terminal, but I got this tip from a member of another forum some time ago...

to enable the double arrows on both top and bottom of finder window scrollbars (without using TinkerTool), type this in the Terminal as shown below (note quotes and uppercase):

defaults write "Apple Global Domain" AppleScrollBarVariant DoubleBoth

Hit return and either restart your computer, log out, or force quit the finder and relaunch.

To go back to the default single arrow top and bottom of the scrollbar, type this in Terminal

defaults write "Apple Global Domain" AppleScrollBarVariant Single

Again, hit return and either restart, log out, or force quit the finder and relaunch.

This works for me in 10.2.2, so give it a try if you're willing.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote] defaults write "Apple Global Domain" AppleScrollBarVariant DoubleBoth

<hr></blockquote>

Ah, thank you. Thats what I was looking for.

As a side note, how do people find these kind of things out? Obviously "Apple Global Domain" is a plist of some sort. How would one find it though? I was looking for it through the find command but I could never turn it up. :confused:

tell me if I'm way off base here...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by westonm:

<strong>As a side note, how do people find these kind of things out?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Go in the Terminal and type

defaults read Apple\\ Global\\ Domain\\

That might get you somewhere.

[ 11-18-2002: Message edited by: crawlingparanoia ]</p>