Gmail not working for some iDevice users, Google investigating fix

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In response to reports from iDevice owners complaining of problems connecting to Google's Gmail service, the company issued a statement on Friday notifying users the issue is under investigation and a fix is in the works.

According to an email sent to All Things D, Google said it is aware of the Gmail issues and is working on rolling out a fix, noting that affected users can follow a set of workarounds in the meantime.

A number of Apple iOS device users took to Google's product forums after receiving an error message reading ?mail service imap.gmail.com is not responding." It is not clear what is causing the problem, but some have narrowed it down to an issue with either Google's servers or Apple's Mail iOS app.

Gmail Issue
Source: Google

Google notes that possible workarounds include installing the standalone Gmail iOS app or visiting the web client through Safari.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I have no issues I'm on 5.1.1

Just a guess but I would say there is a good chance Google is migrating accounts to  new datacenter or load balanced application and service is a little choppy during the transition.

• Reply 2 of 14
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member

I have no issues either, I got Sparrow on my iPhone and have been receiving my emails fine and when I open Mail in the iPhone it also downloads the messages without problem. I am running 5.1.1 as well. It is likely just a little bump that affected some users, should be working fine for everyone soon.

• Reply 3 of 14
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Why would anyone use GMail over the free and very secure iCloud mail on an iOS device? I guess gmail is great as your junk mail, account to keep the spam away from your other account, but everything you send or receive through gmail is culled to connect you with advertising.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I set it up as exchange using m.google.com as the server, the usual spam keeps flowing in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Why would anyone use GMail over the free and very secure iCloud mail on an iOS device? I guess gmail is great as your junk mail, account to keep the spam away from your other account, but everything you send or receive through gmail is culled to connect you with advertising.

It's my junk account used for registering for stuff, surveys etc.

I use different accounts for different things, this allows for some level of protection of "private" email addresses, which you don't use for anything else.

Microsoft has a new service called outlook.com, it looks like competition has pushed them to produce a more than adequate Gmail replacement.

• Reply 5 of 14
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    radjin wrote: »
    First of all, if you connect via IMAP with a dedicated/standalone mail client, you will not see ads. This isn't just for Gmail, but for Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL Mail, etc.

Gmail has been far more reliable than various iterations of Apple's mail service (Mac.com, MobileMe, iCloud). For that matter, Yahoo and AOL mail are also more reliable than Apple's services. Gmail's spam filter is pretty good too.

Some people like the deep integration between Google's various services and Gmail is the keystone. I don't use my Gmail account anymore but I can't delete the account since I rely on Google Voice.

I prefer using Hotmail for my junk mail account.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ewanewan Posts: 36member

Ever since I got my iPhone my Hotmail emails automatically come through but I have to click on my GMail inbox for it to refresh. I hope this is also getting fixed while they are at it.

• Reply 7 of 14
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

People need to learn how to follow instructions. You have to enter that one time only password on you idevice for security purposes.

• Reply 8 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

I am using gmail as my primary account for over 5 years and it's a great service accessible from anywhere on earth and has excellent integration with other google services.

• Reply 9 of 14
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

I am using gmail as my primary account for over 5 years and it's a great service accessible from anywhere on earth and has excellent integration with other google services.

Me too, I've been using Gmail as my primary account for years (and iCloud/MobilMe/.mac as a secondary account for years as well) and I really love the service and how reliable it is and also the whole Google ecosystem and how Gmail is your key to it. 

• Reply 10 of 14
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

It should be noted that my Gmail account has been hacked on two different occasions. I much prefer iCloud. It feels safer than gmail does. 

• Reply 11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

Ever since I got my iPhone my Hotmail emails automatically come through but I have to click on my GMail inbox for it to refresh. I hope this is also getting fixed while they are at it.

Set it up as "Exchange" instead of using the default "GMail" settings, the only thing you need apart from your email address and password to log in is to set the exchange server as m.google.com

Welcome to full push email plus you also get contact and calendar syncing if you want.

• Reply 12 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

It should be noted that my Gmail account has been hacked on two different occasions. I much prefer iCloud. It feels safer than gmail does. 

Only once for me, first my iPhone kept telling me "Log in failed" as my password was changed, then when I got back in via answering some questions on a PC my inbox was full of rejected notifications of spam sent out to my Gmail contacts.

Good thing I didn't have any friends, work colleagues or family in there only website and product registrations, which were automatically added and were non reply, hence all the rejection notifications.

• Reply 13 of 14
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I'm experiencing same problem, sort of: my Hotmail account works perfectly fine with my iPhone, but does not work on my Android tablet. After complaining bitterly, I got workaround (alternative Hotmail server) but proper server's problem wasn't fixed for couple of months by now.

Wondering if some companies are not executing secret psychological warfare against competition... regardless of my Hotmail experience, it was my opinion from before that MS has more issues with Google than with Apple - as in, they see Google as bigger threat to their plans, for whatever reason. Is Google doing the same here to Apple? Or are these only coincidences?
  • Reply 14 of 14

That government spyware Google recently installed is really causing problems.