Sprint offering $100 gift card with iPhone 4S purchase, Apple matches with store credit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sprint is now giving a $100 pre-paid gift card to new iPhone 4S buyers, and Business Insider has confirmed that Apple will be matching the deal by offering an Apple Store credit for the same amount.

The new incentive, the second in as many weeks from Sprint, comes ahead of an expected Sept. 12 launch of the next-generation iPhone and has prompted Apple to make good on its promise to match iPhone pricing from major resellers, Business Insider has learned.

Sprint last week slashed the price of Apple's iPhone 4S to $149 not including a $36 activation fee waiver, a move followed by other sellers including Target and Best Buy. Apple subsequently instructed its stores to match the discount prices being offered by the major retailers, limited to $49 for the iPhone 4 and $149 for the iPhone 4S.

Sprint Offer
Source: Sprint

With the new $100 American Express pre-paid card, $149 discount, activation fee waiver and free shipping, Sprint has effectively whittled down the cost of buying an iPhone 4S to $50. There are stipulations, however, as the added gift card bonus is online only and lasts until Aug. 26. It is unclear if Apple will continue to offer the store credits after Sprint's sale ends.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Nice to see what choice and competition is doing for iPhone prices.

• Reply 2 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Nice to see what choice and competition is doing for iPhone prices.

"It's a shame Apple wants to get rid of all competition on the phone side just as competition is finally heating up on the carrier side."

• Reply 3 of 23
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

they must be sitting on a stock of iPhone4 usually we see availability dropping as we near a new launch. Different tacked this time around. So the 3 series will die off now, 4 will be come the low end phone.

• Reply 4 of 23

Seriously? Anybody is still using Sprint, the "No Network"?

• Reply 5 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

they must be sitting on a stock of iPhone4 usually we see availability dropping as we near a new launch. Different tacked this time around. So the 3 series will die off now, 4 will be come the low end phone.

Actually the promotion being mentioned is iPhone 4S, not iPhone 4.

iPhone 4S for essentially $50 is really cheap because it's still the current generation (for another month). I mean, we used to expect the iPhone 4S to drop to $99 when the next iPhone is announced, but right now you can get it for another $50 cheap, with no activation fee, which is really a steal.

Of course if you're not optimistic, you can combine this news with the rumor layoff as really bad signs for AAPL.

• Reply 6 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Actually the promotion being mentioned is iPhone 4S, not iPhone 4.

It does say 'any smartphone', though.

• Reply 7 of 23
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Seriously? Anybody is still using Sprint, the "No Network"?

I sure am and couldn't be happier. I get great voice reception and very good data speeds as well on my iPhone 4S. I pay $50 a month for truly unlimited everything. Please explain to me why I should switch to another carrier and pay more than twice the price when I get great service on Sprint. No doubt Sprint service can suck in some areas, but so can AT&T, Verizon, and all carriers. But if you live in an area with good Sprint service they are hard to beat in terms of what they offer on their plans. 

• Reply 8 of 23
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Apple should just give away the iPhone, they will get back tenfold the cost in what it cost to produce it in App Store sales to the device.

Most people purchase more than $400 in Apps, Music, Movies, and Games from the App Store once they have an iOS device.

• Reply 9 of 23
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member

It would have been nice to let Sprint have this for a few days, they need the business.  Would have set them up to sell more 5's in the future.

• Reply 10 of 23
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member

$50 is an awesome deal for a 4s. Can't go wrong at that price.

• Reply 11 of 23
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Apple should just give away the iPhone, they will get back tenfold the cost in what it cost to produce it in App Store sales to the device.

Most people purchase more than $400 in Apps, Music, Movies, and Games from the App Store once they have an iOS device.

Source?

I have an iPad and an iPhone and we've spent 21 dollars in apps, 10 in movies, and about 50 in music.  Considering apple makes 30% they are no where near covering a free phone for us.

Also, since I have a mac and old fashioned iPods, there is no way to count music in there with the phone.

• Reply 12 of 23

Who'da thunk it? Apple is engaged in a price war.

• Reply 13 of 23
    That would be because Sprint blows. Getting a phone activated is a nightmare
  • Reply 14 of 23
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    rbonner wrote: »
    It would have been nice to let Sprint have this for a few days, they need the business.  Would have set them up to sell more 5's in the future.

Not really since this puts folks on a two year contract so they won't be getting iPhone '5’ sales in the future, but '6’ or even ’7‘ sales.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Competition is good. However, this really shows that Sprint is desperate to sell more iphones.....they have to. They have 30 million in their "warehouse" right now that they have to unload in 4 years. As of today, they are behind. Once the next iPhone comes out with LTE, who would choose Sprint? Virtually non-existant LTE coverage.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Competition is good. However, this really shows that Sprint is desperate to sell more iphones.....they have to. They have 30 million in their "warehouse" right now that they have to unload in 4 years. As of today, they are behind. Once the next iPhone comes out with LTE, who would choose Sprint? Virtually non-existant LTE coverage.

Compared to Verizon, everyone has a pretty small LTE map at the moment. But what matters is what they will have after the LTE iPhone is released. Below is the current August Sprint LTE map. By the end of this year they will cover about 150 million pops with LTE and by 2013 their entire 3G map will have LTE. The great thing about LTE is you will want to use data a lot more often. So with unlimited LTE that is cheaper on Sprint vs. only a few GB's for more money on AT&T or Verizon, Why not choose Sprint? 

Since I live in Atlanta which is fully covered with LTE by Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint it is an easy choice. Stay with Sprint and save a lot of money and have unlimited LTE with my next iPhone or pay more money for less data. 

• Reply 17 of 23

Is Apple trying to kill Sprint?

Sprint's clearly offering the discount to get rid of the billions oworth of iPhones they have laying around, and hopefully save their company, then Apple comes in, and does the same removing Sprint's advantage. whatta dick move, Apple.

• Reply 18 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Compared to Verizon, everyone has a pretty small LTE map at the moment. But what matters is what they will have after the LTE iPhone is released. Below is the current August Sprint LTE map. By the end of this year they will cover about 150 million pops with LTE and by 2013 their entire 3G map will have LTE. The great thing about LTE is you will want to use data a lot more often. So with unlimited LTE that is cheaper on Sprint vs. only a few GB's for more money on AT&T or Verizon, Why not choose Sprint? 

Since I live in Atlanta which is fully covered with LTE by Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint it is an easy choice. Stay with Sprint and save a lot of money and have unlimited LTE with my next iPhone or pay more money for less data. 

It's not exactly like that, Sprint doesn't have 30 million iPhones <bold>4S's</bold> laying around, they have a contranct that states they will buy 30 million iPhones over a period of four years, so when the iPhone 5 comes out, Sprint won't be behind at all like you just implied.

• Reply 19 of 23

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Is Apple trying to kill Sprint?

Sprint's clearly offering the discount to get rid of the billions oworth of iPhones they have laying around, and hopefully save their company, then Apple comes in, and does the same removing Sprint's advantage. whatta dick move, Apple.

Perhaps instead of giving a nearly meaningless and certainly marginal and underhanded discount Sprint could spend the money from regular sales and improve their network in time for the release of the LTE iPhone?

• Reply 20 of 23

How is it an underhanded discount, Apple still gets the same money either way, hell if Apple didn't offer the discount, they would've made more money, therefore Apple dislikes Sprint for some reason. Sprint NEEDS customers, savings motivate people to spend like nothing else.

And how Sprint chooses to spend it's money, is their choice, what if them cutting prices on the iPhone to get more customers leads to more money to spend on their network? pretty solid strategy.