Thief who broke into Steve Jobs house gave stolen iPad to clown

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After burglarizing the home of Apple's late co-founder Steve Jobs, Kariem McFarlin distributed some of the loot to his friends, including professional clown Kenneth Kahn.

According to a report by Mike Rosenberg of the San Jose Mercury News, the 47 year old Kahn used the stolen 64GB iPad to play background music (Michael Jackson and the the Henry Mancini theme to the "Pink Panther") during his clown performances.

Kahn, known as Kenny the Clown in addition to working as a part time substitute teacher, said he found out the device was stolen property only after McFarlin was arrested on August 2 and the police had subsequently appeared at his door to claim the pilfered device.

Kahn said he'd used the iPad for three or four days, unaware that it had belonged to Jobs.

Photo credit: Jeff Vendsel Marin Independent Journal file photo.

"I didn't notice anything special or anything like that," Kahn said in the report. "It was silver; it looked normal. I was basically using it like an iPod."

The stolen property was recovered two weeks after McFarlin broke into Jobs' home using a spare key he found on the site, which is currently being renovated. In addition to the iPad McFarlin gave the clown, he gave a second iPad to his daughter. He also took Macs, iPods and Tiffany jewelry and even left with Jobs' wallet, including his driver's license.

"It still hasn't really 100 percent set in for me. It was Steve Jobs' iPad -- literally," Kahn said. "If this thing weren't so tragic, it would be comical."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

One type of clown gives to another type of clown.

• Reply 2 of 14
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    He and his daughter received 2 iPads from a
    Man/friend that supposedly has no money.
    Wouldn't you have to think that you were receiving
    Stolen property.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Stolen property.

I think the clown knew that it was stolen property. The only defense he has is to say he didn't know and put the full blame on his buddy. It's up to his buddy to testify whether or not he knew about it. Perhaps the "homeless" guy will testify to get a lower sentence.

• Reply 4 of 14

When I first read the headline I thought it meant he gave it to a Samsung engineer

• Reply 5 of 14
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    kimk69 wrote: »
    Stolen property.

What? He said they fell off a truck. The market for stolen items is very big. You'd be surprised who would buy a obviously "misplaced" item.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    McFarlin used a [I]spare key[/I] that he found lying around? Unbelievably lax security. I would assume A: some contractor left it where it was easy to find, and B: that same contractor is about to get slapped with a big fat lawsuit.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What? He said they fell off a truck. The market for stolen items is very big. You'd be surprised who would buy a obviously "misplaced" item.

Are there many open-air delivery trucks anymore where you live? image Like, you know, ones that normally haul watermelons? Are we seriously expected to believe the "truck hit a bump and it fell off without anyone knowing excuse for this sort of thing?

He certainly knew.

• Reply 8 of 14
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are there many open-air delivery trucks anymore where you live? image Like, you know, ones that normally haul watermelons? Are we seriously expected to believe the "truck hit a bump and it fell off without anyone knowing excuse for this sort of thing?

He certainly knew.

If your "friend" gives you an iPad that fell off the back of a truck, you are gonna have a bad time.

Maybe the clowns thought that taking some items from a person with more money than they have, and giving those items to who the clowns think should have them was just another form of income redistribution?  Maybe call it "Clown-care"?   After all, who knows better than the Clowns?

• Reply 9 of 14
    smirksmirk Posts: 12member

I already didn't like clowns.  This just cements the deal.

• Reply 10 of 14
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Awesome headline.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member

Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

McFarlin used a spare key that he found lying around? Unbelievably lax security. I would assume A: some contractor left it where it was easy to find, and B: that same contractor is about to get slapped with a big fat lawsuit.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Steve Jobs didn't leave his door locked.  It was in his bio.  Larry Ellison would invite himself in.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 12 of 14
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smirk View Post

I already didn't like clowns.  This just cements the deal.

I also hate clowns, and carnies in general. I wonder if this guy cased houses that he worked at for his friend to later rob.

• Reply 13 of 14
    haarhaar Posts: 563member

That thief stole steve jobs' wallet... what a loser!... Stealing the personal effects of a dead person?, how exactly did this thief think he was going to get away with it...

I wonder what kind of karma the thief should endure?... (I believe the Late Steve Jobs believed in Karma, to be judged on what you do, not on what you have...)

also that the Late Steve Jobs was a VERY private person, thus the thief  invaded the most personal effect of Steve Jobs!... yes hell is waiting for the thief...

I hope the thief realizes that while thief is a victim-less crime (not personal) he just made it personal by stealing a dead mans wallet... to hell he goes...

BTW the clown had to be GOOD friends with the thief in order to receive that many iPads... but my "axe to grind" is with the Thief not the clown.

/end rant.

• Reply 14 of 14

Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Steve Jobs didn't leave his door locked.

Aside from that being an anecdote about the past, not even present tense of the telling of the biography, he has also been dead for nearly a year. You're telling me Laurene hasn't locked the door since he died? It's also on the contractor and common practice to lock everything up when the resident is away from the house.

Originally Posted by haar View Post

That thief stole steve jobs' wallet... what a loser!... Stealing the personal effects of a dead person?, how exactly did this thief think he was going to get away with it...

I do genuinely believe he didn't know it was Steve's stuff until he had done it, but he was too stupid in his use of the devices to have ever gotten away, regardless of who he stole from.