Judge Koh allows Samsung to present Fidler tablet concept as iPad prior art

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

If you think there is no commonality with iPad and other modern tablets, you're clearly fooling yourself. 

Knowledge Navigator, 1987. Even had Siri, but with visuals.

It's… going to be an unsettling future when we can make Siri look like whoever we want her to, isn't it?

• Reply 22 of 72
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

No comment on whether this should be considered prior art.  However considering this was 18 years ago, they did an awesome job predicting the future.  If you think there is no commonality with iPad and other modern tablets, you're clearly fooling yourself. 

That's the beauty of making videos isn't it?  You can dream up thousands of things, and with some video editing skills, be considered a genius if/when those things are actually made.

Another thing I don't understand about purely using a video as prior art is the fact that, with modern video editing suites, anyone can create a video which looks like it was shot X number of years ago.  How can you possibly know when a video was made unless it was shown publicly around that time?  I'm not saying that's the case with this particular video, but just with video as prior art in general.

• Reply 23 of 72

I think the Fidler was smaller and thinner but then the Knowledge Navigator was many year before. I like the touch screen concept they had back in 1987. Really I am just sad it took so long to get tablets when they had these concepts so many years ago. I found this youtube demo of the knowledge navigator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mLqJNDWx-8

I find it funny all the advanced concepts it presented but while he is 'busy' they couldn't conceive the idea of call waiting. Either way I think these patients are extremely ridiculous and the entire process needs an overhaul to meet the needs of the 21st century. 

• Reply 24 of 72
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That's the beauty of making videos isn't it?  You can dream up thousands of things, and with some video editing skills, be considered a genius if/when those things are actually made.

Another thing I don't understand about purely using a video as prior art is the fact that, with modern video editing suites, anyone can create a video which looks like it was shot X number of years ago.  How can you possibly know when a video was made unless it was shown publicly around that time?  I'm not saying that's the case with this particular video, but just with video as prior art in general.

Word.

• Reply 25 of 72

Damn!  Almost done with my teleportation system  Have a prototype and the patent documentation filled out.  If samsung can copy this and use a Star Trek defense, then why bother?  Might as well give up on faster-than-light travel as well...

• Reply 26 of 72
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    neo42 wrote: »
    No comment on whether this should be considered prior art.  However considering this was 18 years ago, they did an awesome job predicting the future.  If you think there is no commonality with iPad and other modern tablets, you're clearly fooling yourself. 

I think this is a perfect prior art example for the socalled iPad patent. If you see the full video clip, you will see that it goes further than rectangular with rounded corners. It is basically the whole product concept of iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    povilas wrote: »
    This can only mean two things, that she’s very smart or that she’s a dumb ass. This could actually be a very good help for Apple defense, but i think i’m digging too deep/watching too many movies.
    One way or another, appeal is a slam dunk. No judge finds it 'appealing' to have a ruling overturned on ...appeal. She is vacuum cleaning any potential arguments for the defendant to lean on a positive result further along the way to a final SC judgment, ...if Samsung/Google were to proceed forward in that way.

She just doesn't wish to suffer a highly mediatised blemish on her professional career. So, ...she's going exhaustive on the defendant's petty arguments and procedural abuses, ...acknowledging...by her apparent laxity...the obviousness of the final judgment, ...and making sure to neuter in the process any fertile ground for questioning in the future the fairness of the whole hearing process.

This case is so clear-cut, it can only be lost on technical irregularities. She wants to make sure the case is won on merit, not on her own incompetence in providing the defendant all the leeway to be acknowledged by all who matter as having been fully heard, ...in their valid argumentation as well as in their idiotic fallacies.

Justice will take care of itself. She's hereby pushing for the very crucial appearance of justice-be-served. And so would I if I were an American of South Korean extraction overseeing a jury of locals under the watchful eyes of top notch, sneaky attorneys mandated by deep pockets multinational corporations. She knows these guys can and will afford to go the distance to take her Hearings behavior apart.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    neo42 wrote: »

Get a working model then we talk otherwise they are all vaporware and ifs.

You are fooling yourself with all these.

Apple have the working models but the rest existed only on paper and make believe videos.
  • Reply 29 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

1, This isn't a rectangle, there is a large groove running up the right hand side.

2 The border at the top is thinner than the border at the bottom.

It is not like Apple's design patent.

So how many extra hours will Samsung be allowed to present this thing?

How many extra hours will Apple be allowed to refute it?

Why is the Judge suddenly changing the rules?

I don't think she's changed the rules. Samscum's shysters have one hour to burn up any way they want. If they want to show this video and dance around the judge for half of their remaining time, then sit there and huff and puff while Apple parades a dozen or two witnesses they can't do shit about. 

• Reply 30 of 72
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    hjb wrote: »
    I think this is a perfect prior art example for the socalled iPad patent. If you see the full video clip, you will see that it goes further than rectangular with rounded corners. It is basically the whole product concept of iPad.

Just a concept but where is the working model?

Otherwise it just someone's imagination and nothing of substance.
  • Reply 31 of 72

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    The only real tablet computer in the video is the Newton Messagepad, the Fidler tablet is just a mock-up with fake interaction. Obviously the 'prior art' is the Newton before they even mocked-up the Fidler tablet. This could actually strengthen Apple's case. Maybe for once John Scully will turn out to be the visionary that saves Apple by giving the go ahead for the Newton, something that Jobs hated.

• Reply 32 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

1, This isn't a rectangle, there is a large groove running up the right hand side.

I think this is where the stylus goes, although there is no point in the video where one removes or reinserts the stylus there.

• Reply 33 of 72
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Apart from not being a rectangle.

It's convenient if you ignore that, isn't it?

• Reply 34 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I don't think she's changed the rules. Samscum's shysters have one hour to burn up any way they want. If they want to show this video and dance around the judge for half of their remaining time, then sit there and huff and puff while Apple parades a dozen or two witnesses they can't do shit about. 

Just as long as this doesn't take them over.

Hopefully the jury is less gullible than a British judge,

• Reply 35 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

From the funny video:  "It might be difficult to conceptualize the idea of digital paper, but that's what's going to happen"

Yeah, real hard to conceptionalize.  What a visionary he must have been to imagine that.

It's interesting that in some ways this video from 17 years ago is spot on.  It just missed the Web site as the intermediate step between "physical newspaper" to "tablet news." 

I like the demo around the 5:50 mark where he hands her his tablet and she hands him her lunch (which he then starts eating with the silverware she had been using).

Them seem to have very accurately predicted that people will ignore each other when operating their tablet or smartphone! The whole exchanging lunch and silverware is no big deal for married people, wife and I do it all the time :)

Thank God the term "mediamorphasis" never took off. He looked so proud having coined that term!

I much prefer the way the iPad (and iOS) works as compared to this imaginary Fidler tablet. Looks like it's very close to the new Surface though.

• Reply 36 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I think this is where the stylus goes, although there is no point in the video where one removes or reinserts the stylus there.

Sorry, I must have missed that part of Apple's design patent, would you mind pointing out the part of it where "Groove for holding stylus" is mentioned?

• Reply 37 of 72
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Apart from not being a rectangle.

LL

It's convenient if you ignore that, isn't it?

LOL, you are so funny. Thanks
  • Reply 38 of 72
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 39 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Concept [I]art[/I] that has no barring on how the technology could possibility be made to create a working product counts as prior art? So if I use technology that allows human beings to use footwear that allows them to suspend themselves on water that allows them to walk the technology will be invalidated because it's talked about in the Bible? I guess I should also trash my idea for a food multiplier and technology to make the blond see again. Is there any other field where fiction can be used as prior art for a real product?
  • Reply 40 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

LOL, you are so funny. Thanks

rectangle |?r?kta?g(?)l|nouna plane figure with four straight sides and four right angles, especially one with unequal adjacent sides, in contrast to a square.ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from medieval Latin rectangulum, from late Latinrectiangulum, based on Latin rectus straight + angulus an angle.