Motorola files new ITC suit against Apple, claims patent infringement [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google-owned Motorola on Friday filed its second U.S. International Trade Commission suit against Apple, claiming the iPhone, iPad and certain Mac computers infringe on owned patents.

Update: Bloomberg now reports Motorola Mobility said the ITC complaint "claims infringement of seven Motorola Mobility patents on features including location reminders, e-mail notification and phone/video players."

While details are scarce, Bloomberg notes the ITC suit could result in a U.S. import ban of Apple products using the patents Motorola claims are being infringed upon. The exact patents and allegations remain unknown as the filing has not yet been made available to the public.

The new ITC filing is the second such complaint from Motorola, the first stemming from failed licensing negotiations dating back to 2010. Apple entered counter-claims saying that Google Android handsets, including those made by Motorola, copy the Cupertino, Calif., company's own patents. The countersuit ultimately failed, and Motorola was cleared of the charges in March. Apple is currently in the process of appealing the ruling.

The ITC is set to rule on a review of an April finding in which Trade Judge Thomas Pender deemed Apple violated one of the four Motorola patents in question. The full commission's decision is expected to be handed down on Aug. 24.

Motorola

Motorola issued a statement regarding the situation, which reads, ?We would like to settle these patent matters, but Apple?s unwillingness to work out a license leaves us little choice but to defend ourselves and our engineers? innovations."

Apple did not issue an official response.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Why isn't this just part of the other one?

• Reply 2 of 89

Just kiss and make up already. 

I blame the Patent office. Everyone working there should be fired. If they did their jobs right none of this would be happening. 

A patent from the Patent office means nothing. 

New patent office= Court system.

Thats the only way to validate or invalidate a patent these days. 

• Reply 3 of 89
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

The Empire strikes back. We are in the midst of the "thermonuclear" one. 

• Reply 4 of 89
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

How do you spell thermonuclear? 

• Reply 5 of 89

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

"I-n-n-o-v-a-t-e- -d-o-n-'-t- -l-i-t-i-g-a-t-e."

????

• Reply 6 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"I-n-n-o-v-a-t-e- -d-o-n-'-t- -l-i-t-i-g-a-t-e."

????

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

l-a-w-y-e-r-s.

• Reply 7 of 89
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Why doesn't this just say, "Google files new ITC suit against Apple..." I mean, really, at this point, there's no more pretending that Google isn't calling the shots, and that Motorola is only a front.

• Reply 8 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Why doesn't this just say, "Google files new ITC suit against Apple..." I mean, really, at this point, there's no more pretending that Google isn't calling the shots, and that Motorola is only a front.

Yep as Motorola is a wholly owned subsidiary Google has officially become a patent troll.

Buying a company for their patents and using it for litigation.

btw has Motorola released anything new since the takeover, apart from lawsuits?

/sits back and waits for the apologists, whether paid or not.

• Reply 9 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yep as Motorola is a wholly owned subsidiary Google has officially become a patent troll.

Motorola makes about 27 phones a year, millions of cable boxes ect.. 

If Moto is a paten troll so is apple. 

• Reply 10 of 89
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Normally, I'm on your side anonymouse... however, let's not forget that Motorola did (arguably) invent the cell phone so I will cut them some slack.  What I won't cut slack for is the (conveniently??) lack of information in this new filing.  Google is more the b!tch than anyone else.

If it's for a valid claim, so be it.  However, if Google is in fact calling the shots then it's a sad state for a formally big player in the mobile industry.

• Reply 11 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

I blame the Patent office. Everyone working there should be fired. If they did their jobs right none of this would be happening. 

Uh, no. That's the way it has always worked. It's just getting more news coverage these days so people think Apple is doing something new.

• Reply 12 of 89
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

While I am certainly no apologist, Moto was going through a pretty rough patch, and I'm sure keeping the product releases steady was a struggle. They did just announce an event for September 5th, so we should see some pretty top-shelf hardware at the very least.

• Reply 13 of 89
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Except that Google only bought Motorola Mobility, not the rest of it. Cable boxes were not part of the deal. Neither was anything else. That's called Motorola Solutions.

• Reply 14 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Google the patent troll.

Motorola the struggling company bought solely for their patents for use in litigation.

So which specific NEW models has Google released via their subsidiary, since the takeover?

• Reply 15 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

If you're going to troll, at least do it effectively. 

Moto's products are lousy and so is their service. Derivative, undifferentiated junk (unless "fugly" counts as differentiation.) There's a *reason* they needed a buyout. They were tanking. But I'm sure that's what Sanjay Jha told the board: "B-b-but we invented the cellphone like 30 years ago! Impossible" Uh-huh.

Those who fail to re-invent their business end up as buyout-bait with nothing left but an old trove of patents, most of which they try to wield around (as in: abuse) for FRAND licensing dollars. Like an old hooker way past her sell-by date.

Google didn't buy them for the 27 flavours of crap they churn out, or cable boxes (LOL) or toasters. Or whatever else that is no longer relevant. Google bought them for one reason only: PATENTS. $12.5 billion to purchase patents to be wielded against competitors at a later date (not very successfully), while letting Moto go to complete shit. Because 1) Google doesn't really have any meaningful patents of their own, and they *knew* at some point they'd have to answer for their theft, and 2) because they're a bottom-feeding ad company that isn't above remedying 1 by behaving like 2.

• Reply 16 of 89
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Quote:

They released about 4000 employees.

• Reply 17 of 89

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

They released about 4000 employees.

Now they're even copying Apple's BAD decisions!

• Reply 18 of 89

Just change the title to "Google files new ITC suit against Apple, claims patent infringement". It's very clear that Google uses the Motorola brand to sue Apple and spin it like Google doesn't do such stuff. Google is a really hypocrite company spewing lies and misleading the public opinion for years now. It's time to rip off Google's mask so everyone sees Google's real face of evil.

• Reply 19 of 89
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

Quote:

That's all patents have ever been-- the right to sue over something.  (Just like registered trademarks or copyrights.)  It's been that way for over a hundred years... the Wright Brothers spent decades in patent litigation protecting their one flight control patent.  What you're really complaining about is that the patent office has too low a bar for "obvious to a practitioner of the craft", but "obvious" is a difficult thing to judge after the fact.

• Reply 20 of 89

With all that money I'm surprised Apple hasn't launched its own satellite network to offer their own access to networks, so carriers, phone companies and cellular patents get out of the picture... (it will be all apple's own technology)

imagine buying apple products that are already connected to each other without paying for internet access or carrier plans! That will be a HIT! ;-)˜