Apple retail stores see 50K Genius Bar visits each day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple users are taking advantage of the company's Genius Bar support in droves, as more than 50,000 customers utilize the retail feature each day.

New statistics on the company's retail operations were shared by Apple with Jim Dalrymple of The Loop. The company also revealed that its stores have seen nearly 300 million worldwide visitors so far in its fiscal 2012 year, which began in October of 2011.

The details were shared by the company as it opened two new retail stores over the weekend in Canada. Those new locations are in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Coquitlam, British Columbia.

Though most of Apple's retail locations are found in the U.S., the international side of the company's brick-and-mortar business has been its primary focus in recent years. In particular, the company has shown considerable interest in expanding its retail presence in China.

Given the large crowds that Apple's stores draw, the company has been experimenting with larger Genius Bars that can service more customers. At some locations, new Genius Bars have been rotated 90 degrees, so that they are perpendicular to the rear wall of the store, rather than up against the back wall where they have traditionally been positioned.

The new Genius Bars also emphasize the use of iPads to manage customer service records. Because the new Genius Bars take up more room, they replace the kids' tables usually found in the back of Apple's retail stores.

Genius

A bigger Genius Bar was also one of the key features Apple added to its recently reopened store in New York City's SoHo neighborhood.

Beyond the Genius Bar, Apple is also working to make the stores themselves larger to accommodate more customers. One profile issued earlier this year found that Apple's stores are "bulging at the seams" with an average square footage of just 8,400 square feet.

When Apple's retail operations began 11 years ago, the company initially targeted 6,000-square-foot stores as the ideal size, according to analyst Charlie Wolf with Needham & Company. Though the stores have since grown, they have not increased their square footage enough to accommodate an average annual increase of 15.3 percent in visitors on a per-store basis.

Apple's stores have also undergone significant changes on the corporate side of the company's business over the last year. Ron Johnson, who kickstarted Apple's retail operations in the early 2000s, left the company to become CEO of JC Penney last fall while John Browett, Apple's new retail chief, took the position in January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Small clarification. The article implies that only stores that shifted their bar are using iPads. Not true. The iPad switch is at all stores and happened months ago. They pulled the laptops off and started using some kind of server based diagnostic system via Ethernet. Many folks have seen both things in action and commented on it repeatedly in previous threads.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"Wow, Apple, I guess it doesn't 'just work', does it?" image

????

Now, I realize that's just an Obon goblin, but maybe we can use it as our generic "troll" image from now on?

• Reply 3 of 21
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Let us pray that we never see this :

• Reply 4 of 21

This is a good way for Apple to drive customers into the retail stores.  My guess is that a lot of people end up buying gear when they intended to just see the Genius.

• Reply 5 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

If John Browett isn't fired within a year, I'd be surprised.

• Reply 6 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member

Enjoy it while it lasts.  According to Mr. Browett, he wants to "increase retail profits even it if compromises service".  </sarcasm>

Seriously, I hope folks have written to [email protected] and express their concern that he is planning on ruining a winning formula for the sake of his own ego.

• Reply 7 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Let us pray that we never see this :

As a reference to this :

• Reply 8 of 21

That just means there are a lot of problems.  Uh oh.  The sky is falling.

• Reply 9 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Enjoy it while it lasts.  According to Mr. Browett, he wants to "increase retail profits even it if compromises service".  </sarcasm>

Seriously, I hope folks have written to [email protected] and express their concern that he is planning on ruining a winning formula for the sake of his own ego.

Good suggestion, which I followed.

• Reply 10 of 21

I think the article is missing a small piece of the puzzle looking at square feet of retail space for the original stores. When those stores opened, they had shelves of software, very large tables for the merchandise, large counters at the front of the store for check-out, etc. In some ways Apple is combating the store size problem by using every square foot more effectively. It would be interesting to see a real analysis done on the evolution of the stores. You have to do more than just quote old and new store sizes though. ;)

• Reply 11 of 21

How many people visit the Guru Bar @ Microsoft Store?

• Reply 12 of 21

That's because they don't print owners manuals with their stuff.

• Reply 13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If John Browett isn't fired within a year, I'd be surprised.

What a dilemma for Cook. His first hand-picked hire and the man wants to compromise customer experience to increase profits ... at the most profitable company in the world!

• Reply 14 of 21

Originally Posted by Chris76 View Post

That's because they don't print owners manuals with their stuff.

I'm gonna bet that's not at all the reason. And sure they do.

• Reply 15 of 21

Most of the time I go into an Apple Store there are kids at that Kids Table, just like there are a lot of kids sitting on display tables playing with iPod  touches.

I can think of nothing as effective at getting kids into an Apple advocate than how the Apple Stores bring them into the fold.  Keep those tables.

• Reply 16 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post

Like, 3-4, internationally, though. That doesn't count the people on planet Microdaft.

• Reply 17 of 21

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

…Microdaft.

That's… a new one; I've not heard that one before. image

• Reply 18 of 21
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    I was at the store opening in Coquitlam Saturday. Added another T-shirt to my collection.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    gooneryoda wrote: »

Oh come on be serious, all the Microsoft fanboys are now Android fanboys so they have to go to the support desk at Google, oh wait .... where's that?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

As clearly indicated by the photo....

50k customers a day - clearly it is time to slash headcount image