Samsung Galaxy Nexus copied iPhone features to steal market share, Apple says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
During opening arguments of an appeals court hearing on Monday, Apple counsel said Samsung sought to steal iPhone market share with its Galaxy Nexus smartphone by copying a number of the Apple handset's features including a patented unified search invention.

As the California Apple v. Samsung patent trial moves to closing arguments, a U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit case regarding the sales ban of the Korean company's Galaxy Nexus smartphone began proceedings on Monday.

According to in-court reports from Bloomberg, Apple lawyer Mark Perry argued the Samsung handset was part of a "beat-Apple" strategy which consisted of copying a number of features like the iPhone's Siri virtual assistant.

?This was the beat-Apple strategy,? Perry said. ?This was the top of the line, Cadillac phone they trotted out to compete with the iPhone.?

Samsung is seeking to appeal an injunction against the device that would see a sales stoppage until the matter is resolved at a trial currently set to begin in March 2014. By that time, the handset would likely be obsolete, rendering further attempts to reinstate sales a losing proposition.

At issue is whether Apple needs to prove that it lost market share to the Galaxy Nexus in order to initiate a sales stoppage before the patent case moves forward in 2014. Also a point of contention is whether Apple must prove the allegedly infringed upon patent was a driving force of sales for either device.

Samsung counsel John Quinn argues that keeping the Galaxy Nexus on store shelves would do no harm to Apple's market share, saying the device has racked up "minuscule" sales compared to the U.S. market-leading iPhone.

In Apple's third fiscal quarter conference call, the company reported $16.2 billion of recognized revenue from iPhone sales. Quinn said Samsung only managed to net $250 million in Galaxy Nexus sales during the device's first two quarters of availability.

?This is a product that, at most, captured 0.5 percent of the market,? Quinn said. ?Nothing in the record here would support a finding of irreparable harm? to Apple.

Siri
Apple's Siri virtual assistant leverage the '604 unified search patent to provide users with comprehensive answers. | Source: Apple

Apple is asserting a unified search patent which serves as the backbone for Siri functionality on the iPhone 4S. The '604 patent retrieves information from a variety of sources, including the internet and on-device data like emails, with a single search engine, allowing users to get in-depth answers to queries.

According to Quinn, many consumers bought the Galaxy Nexus because it ran Google's Android operating system, claiming the users didn?t even know about the unified search feature.

In an Aug. 3 filing with the CAFC, Google said Apple's patent relates ?at best, to a very minor aspect of the Galaxy Nexus phone?s overall functionality which was never shown to drive sales.? The company went on to argue that if a single patent can block sales of a feature-rich modern smartphone, ?the design and manufacture of similarly complex technological marvels would become economically infeasible.?

Apple won a temporary injunction against the handset in June, claiming infringement of the unified search patent, but Samsung was granted a stay by the CAFC in July along with a request to expedite an appeal.

Samsung's Galaxy Nexus will remain on sale throughout the appeals process, though that timeline remains ambiguous as the three-judge panel has yet to say when it will rule.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Samsung is doomed!!!!

• Reply 2 of 85
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Scamscum's argument is that no a consumer will not pay extra for an iPhone because of xyz patent.  That may be true, but the sum of all the patents on the iPhone / iPad and how it all contributes to the polished look-and-feel of iOS is what the consumer likes.  Samesung is trying to blow smoke by micromanaging it.

• Reply 3 of 85

Apple is doomed! 

????

Oh wait...???? ????

? ? ?

? ?

Black being Samsung

• Reply 4 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I really, really hope Tim has alternative suppliers lined up for 100% of what Scamscum currently provide Apple with.
  • Reply 5 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I really, really hope Tim has alternative suppliers lined up for 100% of what Scamscum currently provide Apple with.

Absolutely, I think that would hurt Samsung worse than these legal battles (although I still am in favor of protecting IP in this manner).  I would love to see Apple shift all its business to suppliers who are not directly competing with them.

• Reply 6 of 85
    Samsung's next copycat move is to sue the pants off Samsung, for copying itself.
  • Reply 7 of 85
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

Absolutely, I think that would hurt Samsung worse than these legal battles (although I still am in favor of protecting IP in this manner).  I would love to see Apple shift all its business to suppliers who are not directly competing with them.

And who would you propose? LG, who also makes Android phones, and seems to slavishly copy Samsung, who slavishly copies Apple? How about Intel, who is coming out with a processor for Android phones. Show me a company that has the ability to scale and proven track record like Samsung. There aren't many out there.

• Reply 8 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

And who would you propose? LG, who also makes Android phones, and seems to slavishly copy Samsung, who slavishly copies Apple? How about Intel, who is coming out with a processor for Android phones. Show me a company that has the ability to scale and proven track record like Samsung. There aren't many out there.

Apple has $100 billion in the bank. A little investment in 3rd party suppliers not named Samsung would be a great way to spend the money.

• Reply 9 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Samsung's next copycat move is to sue the pants off Samsung, for copying itself.

This becomes taxing on not only Samsung's pocket book, but it's legal counsel's expertise, as they have to prerecord their defense and then practice for hours at a time to line up the timing of their statements to the prosecution's live objections. 

Like those fellows that record themselves doing all four parts of a barbershop quartet, you see. image

• Reply 10 of 85
    845032845032 Posts: 76member

Wow. You guys are really not clever.

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because it looks like a iphone?

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because of stupid unified search function?

People buy a Galaxy Nexus. Because it is a Google/Samsung phone.

They didn't hurt Apple. Because people know it is samsung.

They don't buy galaxy nexus because of stupid 'unified search function' which apple claims it infringe patent.

Samsung already removed unified search function. People still buy it.

Nobody buy a phone for univesal search function.

I have iphone4 and ipad2. Even I do not use such function. really worthless feature.

• Reply 11 of 85
    845032 wrote: »
    LL
    LL

Wow. iSheeps are really  too stupid.

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because of stupid univesal search function?

People buy a Galaxy Nexus. Because it is a Samsung phone.

There is no one buy this phone for the sole reason because it looks simlar with iphone.

They don't buy galaxy nexus because of stupid univesal search function which apple claims it infringe patent.

Samsung already removed univesal search function. People still buy it.

Re: "Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because it looks like a iPhone"

They probably buy them because it is uses a direct ripoff of the Apple iOS just and Windows people have bought PCs all these years which was a direct ripoff of the Mac OS, some people just like cheap alternatives to the best even if they are ripoffs, I guess it's human nature.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    hittrj01 wrote: »

I suspect Apple could help a few get there.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Wow. You guys are really not clever.

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because of stupid unified search function?

People buy a Galaxy Nexus. Because it is a Google/Samsung phone.

They don't buy galaxy nexus because of stupid 'unified search function' which apple claims it infringe patent.

Samsung already removed unified search function. People still buy it.

I have iphone4 and ipad2. Even I do not use such function. really worthless feature.

I am planning to get the Galaxy Nexus and frankly, it looking like an iPhone or having unified search has not even crossed my mind as the reason for me making the switch to Android. I have an iPhone 4 and I have NEVER used the unified search function. Wasn't it Steve Jobs that said people don't spend their time searching on a phone, but rather spend their time within apps? That's very much how it is for the vast majority of iPhone users.

As far as the Nexus looking like an iPhone goes...I am sure Samsung decided to make the phone bigger with no physical home button, included a led indicator along with the curved glass just to make it's phone look like the iPhone...right.

• Reply 14 of 85
    evoken wrote: »
    I am planning to get the Galaxy Nexus and frankly, it looking like an iPhone or having unified search has not even crossed my mind as the reason for me making the switch to Android. I have an iPhone 4 and I have NEVER used the unified search function. Wasn't it Steve Jobs that said people don't spend their time searching on a phone, but rather spend their time within apps? That's very much how it is for the vast majority of iPhone users.

As far as the Nexus looking like an iPhone goes...I am sure Samsung decided to make the phone bigger with no physical home button, included a led indicator along with the curved glass just to make it's phone look like the iPhone...right.

Out of curiosity, if the Android phone were not able to run a direct ripoff of iOS would you still want one? You'd be happy with thumbing those small plastic buttons would you?
  • Reply 15 of 85
    Re: "Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because it looks like a iPhone"
    They probably buy them because it is uses a direct ripoff of the Apple iOS just and Windows people have bought PCs all these years which was a direct ripoff of the Mac OS, some people just like cheap alternatives to the best even if they are ripoffs, I guess it's human nature.

English isn't your primary language? Dislexic? Make shit up?

Show me how Android is in any way a direct rip off of iOS.

In any form...stock Android not Samsung's blatant rip off that is touchwhiz.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    evoken wrote: »

Hell I don't even use unified search.

I'm pretty sure the plan for unified search on any OS was simply for unified search...on any OS...because it seemed to make sense...

removing it isn't really going to cause some major setback.

But the people who honestly believe a phone that is almost 100% NOT like an iPhone is a rip-off of the iPhone just goes to show how lacking a lot of people are in independent thought.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    Out of curiosity, if the Android phone were not able to run a direct ripoff of iOS would you still want one? You'd be happy with thumbing those small plastic buttons would you?

Show me how iOS and Android are so close that one is a direct rip-off of another...

I'll wait while you produce some more bullshit.
  • Reply 18 of 85

Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

Time to update the block list.

• Reply 19 of 85
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

By all means, suit yourself.

• Reply 20 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Did no one ever teach you to use your inside voice -- shout much? Your 72 pt size fonts are an abuse of this site -- grow up.