New iBook 800 Aiport problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My wife's (xmas gift) new iBook 800 just doesn't "see" an installed Airport card. I have tried pulling it and reinstalling it numerous times. Also swapped it with my TiBook's card to no avail. Both cards work well in other laptops, but not on this new iBook.

Mac OS X 10.2.1 won't even show the Airport option under the Network Port Configurations (Network Preferences). Booting under 9.2.2 won't help either. Launching Airport from the Apple menu gives a (-3278) error.

I tried the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with the iBook and Airport passes in both the normal and extended tests. It even displays the correct Aiport card's ID (MAC address). So this probably means it is not a hardware issue... or is it?

Under 10.2.1, running Airport Setup Assistant simply states "Cannot Find Airport Card" and instructs to check for proper card installation, which I have done repeatedly. Its log under Apple System Profiler lists the following error:

WirelessAttach:getInterfaceWithName failed

Any clues as to what else to try? Solutions?

Regards,

Bill

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    It appears that there might be a hardware problem with the ibook (maybe try to update the system to 10.2.2 and install the Airport software that shows up in Software update). But I fear the worst.

Of course, since this is a brand new purchase, you are still completely under warranty. I'd take it back.

Better let Apple fix it good (or even replace it) than hack some solution now and cry when your warranty's over and all goes wrong.