Rumor: Apple resellers dedicating more display space for iPad ahead of new model launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Premium Resellers in Europe have reportedly been asked to make adjustments to display space dedicated to the iPad, with some locations saying Apple has mandated the work be completed by Sept. 12.

According to MacRumors sources, Apple has informed a number of authorized European resellers to dedicate more floor space to the company's tablet line, hinting that the much-rumored "iPad mini" may soon arrive in stores.

One of the sources cited a Sept. 12 deadline date for the reconfiguration, the same day Apple is expected to debut a next-generation iPhone at an as-yet-unannounced special event. Initial rumblings said both a new iPhone and a smaller iPad would be launched simultaneously, however intervening reports have pushed back the tablet's release to as late as October.

While the exact product Apple may be readying for launch is in question, resellers point out Mac Pro and Mac mini models are being removed entirely from some stores. At one location, space dedicated to the iPad has tripled. Other product displays being scaled back include iPods and associated accessories.

Apple is widely rumored to be launching a 7.85-inch version of its popular tablet sometime this fall, with a report on Monday saying the company's suppliers are preparing for a manufacturing ramp up that will see production of four million units per month starting in September.

Comparison Mockup
Mockup comparing sizes of iPads, Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire. | Source: iMore

As there have been few parts leaks tied to the "iPad mini," the final design of the device is largely unknown. Several recent mockups based on past rumors and supposed parts leaks show a unit with a face much like the iPod touch. In addition, the device is said to be extremely thin and lightweight, perhaps thanks to the use of legacy screen technology which affords for a cutback in size of heavy battery elements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26

Christmas 2012... the year Apple iPads eat everyone else's lunch. 

No market from $159 on up will be safe from Apple's dominance. 

• Reply 2 of 26
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

The smaller Mini iPad does not suit my requirements.  I need a larger screen.

I am holding out for the 15 inch Maxi iPad.

• Reply 3 of 26
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Unless those were pre-production parts or fakes, I still think the body of the iPad mini will be plastic and rounded like the 3GS iPhone.  

Either that or there is a third category of device we haven't imagined yet. 
  • Reply 4 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

*sigh* I certainly hope not. And that's my say on the matter.

• Reply 5 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    *sigh* I certainly hope not. And that's my say on the matter.

4,000,000 a month will not be enough! I expect it to sell as well or even better than the current iPad.

It better too, the only positives in my 401k is the funds carrying Apple stock. Last quarter sucked bad, so much for a vibrant economy.
  • Reply 6 of 26

I cant wait. An iP5 (for my pocket), iPad 7" ( for my favorite lunch restaurants) and an ATV for the couch! With iCloud I'm good to go.

I was in a Best-Buy yesterday for the first time in years...I thought I stepped back into 1998...all the crappy plasticky electronics in varying shades of blue-gray made me nauseous! Ugh!

I will only buy Apple electronics and software! If Apple doesn't make it, e.g., DSLR, I'll do without. Thank you, very much. :) 

Can't wait for the large Apple TV.

Best

• Reply 7 of 26

Re: christopher126... Can't wait for the large Apple TV.

Sorry chris, but I agree with those who doubt that an Apple TV Screen / Panel is on the way.

• Reply 8 of 26
    iPad Nano, 4" screen, 8gb, $199, 16gb $299 (previously known as iPod Touch)
    iPad Mini, 8" screen (7.85"), 8gb, $299, 16gb $399, no 4g
    iPad, 10" screen, 16gb, $499 and up, $120 for 4g (current model and pricing)

Of course, I'm just guessing.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    To me the evidence points to no iPad Mini. The release date delayed to October? Convenient. If there is no iPad Mini announcement next month, rumours of such a device can live on for at least another month. It's going to look suspiciously like an iPod Touch. Could it be because it will be the new Touch? If it looks like a Touch and will be priced the same as the current Touch (another rumour making the rounds), well, like it's often said, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . .

A larger Touch makes plenty of sense. An IPad based around a low-tech 7.85-inch screen, not so much.
  • Reply 10 of 26

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

To me the evidence points to no iPad Mini. The release date delayed to October? Convenient. If there is no iPad Mini announcement next month, rumours of such a device can live on for at least another month. It's going to look suspiciously like an iPod Touch. Could it be because it will be the new Touch? If it looks like a Touch and will be priced the same as the current Touch (another rumour making the rounds), well, like it's often said, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . .

A larger Touch makes plenty of sense. An IPad based around a low-tech 7.85-inch screen, not so much.

I personally kind of hope that the "iPhone 5" that was saw last year was a new iPod touch prototype and that we'll be getting it THIS year alongside the larger iPhone.

But as the eternal Apple pessimist, I don't think I have that kind of luck. I figure we'll see a worthless 7" device, is what I figure.

• Reply 11 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I personally kind of hope that the "iPhone 5" that was saw last year was a new iPod touch prototype and that we'll be getting it THIS year alongside the larger iPhone.

But as the eternal Apple pessimist, I don't think I have that kind of luck. I figure we'll see a worthless 7" device, is what I figure.

An 'Apple pessimist' who posts obsessively about Apple on multiple boards and is the 1st reply in every thread. Ok then. 

• Reply 12 of 26

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

An 'Apple pessimist' who posts obsessively about Apple on multiple boards and is the 1st reply in every thread. Ok then. 

It's always best to prepare for the worst. I fail to see how that is incompatible with a love for Apple products and the community therewith.

• Reply 13 of 26
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    safdgf
  • Reply 14 of 26

There's been a bit more info from the reseller sources, who now share that the changes started rolling out three months ago but that Apple is just now pushing them out to the "V2" store locations. The reasoning behind the shift to more space for iPads stems from the iPad accounting for 55% of dollar share and 61% of unit share among sales at the resellers but only representing 15% of display space. With the changes, the iPad will account for 45% of showroom space.

Hey! Did I just scoop AI???

• Reply 15 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Can't wait for the large Apple TV.

My money says Apple will "crack" the TV market with the iPad itself... everyone waiting for a large screen will be shocked to find the iPad it the "stealth" Apple TV. No cords, no cables, not tied down to one room, one cable or dish service...also not tied down to a TV Guide schedule.

• Reply 16 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Three thoughts?

Just how much of a change are we taking about. How much space do these resellers have to have now. 12 units, 6, 2? That amount would tell us if this is just the start of holiday prep or something more

Are we certain it was iPads and not a combo of iPad and iPhone. Could be a combo of holiday prep and pre-release prep,

Also, do we really think that Apple is going to release this iPad mini the same day as the announcement. If they aren't then why have space for it. They never send demo models in advance of a release and aren't likely to now. So why, if the announcement is the 12th would that be the deadline. And keep in mind this new iPad likely has o get FCC signup, especially if it has cell data and that application would be leaked by now if they are aiming for the 12th
  • Reply 17 of 26
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

I really hope that this is just another fake story just like the assymetrical screw... And that European Apple Stores are really only being told to make room in their displays for the iPhone launch. I don't really think Apple needs to launch an iPad Mini. 

• Reply 18 of 26
    xmikuxmiku Posts: 32member

Mac Pro and Mac Mini are being removed...

I don't like Apple becoming a pure "iDevice" company. I use macbook pro for work and I have also personal macbook air. I don't have any iDevice.

• Reply 19 of 26

Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

Mac Pro and Mac Mini are being removed...

Not a chance. For the former because Apple specifically stated so. For the latter because it sells quite well and just got a redesign, among other things.

• Reply 20 of 26
    xmikuxmiku Posts: 32member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not a chance. For the former because Apple specifically stated so. For the latter because it sells quite well and just got a redesign, among other things.

The article states they are being removed from the displays... Doesn't that say something about the company's focus?

And does Mac mini really sell so well? That is a surprise for me, it is quite expensive and you don't even get the keyboard and mouse for the price. I would rather chose iMac (basic model cost $1200; mac mini of similar hw specs cost $800!), if I needed a desktop computer...