How do I connect to a PC?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm connected to a PC which acts as the sever, since it's the computer with the DSL modem.

Logically, since the other 2 PCs can share files, I can also, right?

How do I set this up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Assuming you're using OS 10.2:

Open System Preferences, Click on Sharing, Turn on Personal File Sharing and Windows File Sharing.

In Finder, select GO>Connect to server...

In Windows, double-click on Network Neighborhood or Network Places...

That's it...

If you're not using OS 10.2: You'll need a copy of Dave or something similar.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Dammit!

This means my 10.1.5 is USELESS!

I guess I'll look around for Dave...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Macinphile:

<strong>Dammit!

This means my 10.1.5 is USELESS!

I guess I'll look around for Dave...</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you already connected to the same network, just allow ftp connections. Then from the cmd prompt on the windows box ftp to the ip address on your mac, enter user name & pass word...then type "bin" so files will transfer correctly. Then put [filename]. There ya go.

Learn to use the terminal and you will understand a lot more of how your mac works. Any questions just holler.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I copied the following about a year ago from another discussion board so I can't take credit for this:

Under the Go menu select Connect to Server then enter:

smb://domain;usernameassword@server/drive

Definitions

Domain - when you logging to your windows machine, is it on a "domain" if so you need this. If not, enter the smb share like this smb://usernameassword@server/drive

Password - does not need to be entered if you don't want to. If it is not entered a dialog will pop up asking for it. (ex. smb://domain;username@server/drive notice the ":" symbol has been removed).

Username - like the password this also does not have to be entered. (ex. sbm://domain;server/drive notice the "@" symbol is also gone now)

Server - this one is obviously necessary

Drive - this is the sharepoint/volume/drive depending on your terminology to which you wish to connect, if you only have one share point on the computer, a drive is not necessary.

---

Look in Apple's Knowledge Base for article: 106471

Mac OS X 10.1: How to Connect to an SMB Volume

They add a caution, the names cannot contain spaces.

Also, connecting to two or more SMB volumes simultaneously can cause a Kernel Panic. (This was from 9/26/2001).

This worked for me last year connecting to windows NT boxes.

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: neutrino23 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    and if you would happen to have XP and 10.2:

-On PC and Mac, make sure the workgroup names are the same. On PC, this means Start-&gt;MyComputer-&gt;Rightclcik-&gt;Properties-&gt;Computer Name-&gt; press Change. Should be Workgroup as the workgroupname. On Mac, Applications:Utilities launch Directory Access, click lock and enter password to admin, then click smb and configure. Make sure name is the same workgroup name as on PC.

-On Mac, System preferences:Sharing Tab. Click on Windows File Sharing

-On PC: Make sure you have atleast one folder shared.

-To mount PC share on the Mac:Go menu, Connect to Server. If the PC shows up great, just click it. If not, enter the IP as smb://IP_Adress/sharename. Enter userid and password and you are set

-To mount Mac shares on the PC:Start-&gt;My Network Places, Click Add Network Place. Click Next a few times, till you see a Browse button, click browse, expand Entire Network object until you see the Mac name there.

Both the Mac and the PC have to have folders shared inorder to share.

If either computer can't 'see' the other:

-check cables

-check workgroup names

-ensure folders are shared

-pick up XP box and heave it out the Window.

credit: uh. forgot to copy that.