Apple rumored to unveil Wi-Fi free version of AirPlay at Sept. 12 event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A report on Tuesday claims inside knowledge of a new AirPlay feature Apple will allegedly introduce at its widely rumored Sept. 12 special event, with the new technology allowing users to stream audio directly to HiFi units or speakers without a Wi-Fi network.

According to people familiar with Apple's plans, the so-called AirPlay Direct tech will require only an iDevice and compatible audio equipment for music streaming, doing away with the feature's current need of a Wi-Fi network, reports the Telegraph.

While details are scarce, including the name which is still a "working title," it is thought that AirPlay Direct will create an ad hoc connection with supporting audio units. Technically, this solution would still require Wi-Fi functionality from both devices, however the need for a connected network would be negated.

It is unclear whether the rumored tech will be audio only and still carry the AirPlay moniker, as Apple previously called the media sharing service AirTunes when it only supported music.

Apple's AirPlay is a proprietary wireless sharing protocol based on RTSP technology that allows for the streaming of audio and video using the company's own encoding tools. First introduced in 2010 as an augmentation to AirTunes, AirPlay is able to stream audio and video content wirelessly to a number of supported devices like stereos, receivers and the Apple TV.

AirPlay

According to the sources, Apple will debut AirPlay Direct alongside a next-generation iPhone at an as-yet-unannounced special event on Sept. 12.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

So would the new iDevices have Wifi that can connect to two devices, Internet and these new ad-hoc ones?image

• Reply 2 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So would the new iDevices have Wifi that can connect to two devices, Internet and these new ad-hoc ones?hmm2.gif

I'd guess it's using the same tech foundation as AirDrop so it'll only be devices that have the right types of WiFi installed, which probably means it'll be new to the next iPhone as I don't recall anything out of the ordinary for the iPad (3) or other iDevices.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

This aught to be an interesting concept.

• Reply 4 of 49
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

I agree with the above, as AirDrop already works without a network by creating it's own ad-hoc connection.

• Reply 5 of 49
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member

Less stress on the network I guess, but otherwise seems like a non-event.

• Reply 6 of 49
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    all i need is an apple-provided airplay server on mac os x, please. please?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    enjourni wrote: »
    Less stress on the network I guess, but otherwise seems like a non-event.

Speaking of stress on the network, they really need to beef up their routers. Every company that makes consumer routers does. There are just far too many devices connected since these routers first appeared and they are a bottleneck. Now the simultaneous dual-band routers do help but the next iPhone is looking to offer 5GHz so even that will not be as ideal in the future to split devices. Even if you still did that, the router's processing of the WiFi, the Ethernet switch and everything coming from and going to the WAN is a major bottleneck these days. While it's not the major of broadband users I'd say there are plenty that are running at 100Mb's and higher that would warrant beefier home systems.
  • Reply 8 of 49

Finally...built-in FM transmitters!

• Reply 9 of 49

If it's not Wi-Fi then it will have to be BlueTooth. Apple did join as a Board Member June 2011.

• Reply 10 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    While details are scarce, including the name which is still a "working title," it is thought that AirPlay Direct will create an ad hoc connection with supporting audio units. Technically, this solution would still require Wi-Fi functionality from both devices, however the need for a connected network would be negated.

I'm just curious - how many people who would use this don't already have a WiFi network in their home? I can't believe that the number is very large. Heck, even my 80+ year old mother who is as technophobic as anyone out there has WiFi.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    If it's not Wi-Fi then it will have to be BlueTooth. Apple did join as a Board Member June 2011.

It could be BT but note that 'without a WiFi network" doesn't mean "without WiFi".

PS: Technically speaking, an ad-hoc network is still a network but it's such an atypical network that I doubt anyone will take offense.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

"...Wi-Fi free version..."

Wha-tcho talk'n about Willis?

• Reply 13 of 49

This is interesting.

• Reply 14 of 49

Seeing this screenshot reminds me how badly iTunes 11 NEEDS a UI overhaul.

• Reply 15 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm just curious - how many people who would use this don't already have a WiFi network in their home? I can't believe that the number is very large. Heck, even my 80+ year old mother who is as technophobic as anyone out there has WiFi.

IT's not about how many people have Wifi networks at home, it's about how many audio devices in your home can connect to your wifi network.

• Reply 16 of 49
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I guess Tim's "doubling down" on security hasn't started yet.

• Reply 17 of 49
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Here's the wired version.

• Reply 18 of 49

What does this do that Bluetooth audio does not?

And yes, almost everyone has a Wifi network at home.. but what if you take your wireless speaker out to the beach and want to play music there? No Wifi network around. This is what that feature would enable.. but... umm... Bluetooth already does this, does it very well, and you can use it IN ADDITION to Wifi.

What does this bring to the table other than another proprietary standard? Bluetooth works with pretty much all modern phones.

• Reply 19 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

It would still be WiFi but rather eliminates the need for a hub. Most likely this is a form of peer to peer networking or as sometimes called adhoc networking. Either that or the audio equipment comes equipped with its on WiFi hub. I really don't see this as a big deal myself, but then again I have nothing in the way of a home network.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    I guess Tim's "doubling down" on security hasn't started yet.

More likely this is learned manipulation of the public to create a frenzy about the coming debut. By the time Apple is done all the excutives will have to do is walk on stage and smile leaving the fanboys in a state of orgasm.