Rumor: Next-gen iPhone accessories with 9-pin dock connector revealed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Three new images published on Tuesday claim to show a variety of accessories made for the next-generation iPhone, offering a look at how the handset's rumored 9-pin dock connector may interface with third-party products.

While the legitimacy of the images from iLounge are somewhat suspect, they appear to be consistent with rumors surrounding Apple's sixth-generation device, including the move to a smaller 9-pin dock connector.

According to the publication's "anonymous tipster," the photos are of actual accessories from Scosche, including charging units, Micro USB-to-"new Apple connector" converter and a questionable case.

It should be noted that even if the purported photos are of actual products and not merely mock-ups, the accessories' designs may be based on rumors and heresay. Accessory makers have been burned in the past by building accessories like cases based on "leaked specs" before Apple officially launches a device, only to find that their intel was wrong.

The alleged Scosche-designed is mostly in line with numerous "leaks" regarding the upcoming handset's design and is pictured holding a current iPhone 4S for sake of comparison, demonstrating the smaller opening for the rumored dock connector as well as larger holes to accommodate the upcoming unit's speaker and microphone arrangement.

Rumored iPhone Case
Source: iLounge

What is not taken into account, however, is the headphone jack, which previous rumors say will be relocated to the bottom of the device. It appears that there may not be enough space to insert the 3.5mm jack when the case is on the iPhone.

Other photos show dual-device wall and car chargers dubbed ?syncABLE Pro" and ?reNUE Pro,? respectively. According to the source, both products will come with a Micro USB conversion cable.

Rumored Wall Charger

Rumored Car Charger

A closer inspection of the connectors shows the alleged parts are identical to recent photos of the supposed 9-pin dock connector cable, and a comparison with the Micro USB connector illustrates how small the alleged component will be in relation to the current 30-pin design.

Apple is expected to announce the sixth-generation iPhone on Sept. 12, with a U.S. rollout to follow on Sept. 21.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member

That is an ugly case.

• Reply 2 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    These pics plus the previous rumour of the ad-hoc AirPlay could be that Apple really is eschewing the various options of the connector, but I'd say that is still very unlikely or they would have used a standard Micro-USB port instead.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    macosxp wrote: »
    That is an ugly case.

How can you tell from just the on view and with a pre-6th gen iPhone in the case?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Same subject on macrumor site show a iphone 5 that is wider than iphone 4s ...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/11246/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

some people say its the perspective because the iphone 5 is taller but I still don't get how.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    herbapou wrote: »
    some people say its the perspective because the iphone 5 is taller but I still don't get how.

The 6th-gen iPhone certainly does look wider. This is the first time I've seen that with all the videos of new and old parts being compared. Assuming the bezel doesn't get substantially larger they are either using more pixels on the horizontal or larger pixels, if we assume it is wider. Despite this pic I'm guessing it' the same PPI as the current device and not any additional pixels along that axis.

edit: I guess the perspective argument would work if one assumes they leveled up the devices at the back end instead of the camera end which upon closer inspection appears to be the case. Check out the top and bottom glass of the iPhone 4/4S. That should be the same thickness and yet most of it is obscured by the extended 6th-gen iPhone. I bet you could recreate that with two iPhone 4/4S's.
  • Reply 6 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If they're shooting the pic looking down, with the two phones sitting on the same level, then the fact that the iPhone "5" is taller would also make the end of it (which is closer to the camera) look larger.  Like a car close to you appears wider than the same model car further down the road.

• Reply 7 of 13
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Assuming the bezel doesn't get substantially larger they are either using more pixels on the horizontal or larger pixels, if we assume it is wider. Despite this pic I'm guessing it' the same PPI as the current device and not any additional pixels along that axis.

If it is in fact wider I wonder if they'll go for true HD and make it 1280 by 720 pixels? That would be nice but I wonder what apps would look like on such a screen.

• Reply 8 of 13
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    These could be legit photos of prototype items, but that doesn't equal he company having insider knowledge. Rather like those case makers last year, these folks could be assuming the rumors are true. And be wrong
  • Reply 9 of 13
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

It is fascinating how many articles and threads there have been regarding connectors of the various Apple products over the years.  There's not another product or brand that could garner this much fascination over the mundanities of connectors.  It's amazing really.  And the thing is, the connectors are actually very interesting.

• Reply 10 of 13
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

It is fascinating how many articles and threads there have been regarding connectors of the various Apple products over the years.  There's not another product or brand that could garner this much fascination over the mundanities of connectors.  It's amazing really.  And the thing is, the connectors are actually very interesting.

Agreed! They are one of few companies actually designing new, effective connectors. There is nothing interesting about new phones with one of the 14 flavors of mini-USB, or yet another crop of plastic laptops with VGA and HDMI out.

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

If it is in fact wider I wonder if they'll go for true HD and make it 1280 by 720 pixels? That would be nice but I wonder what apps would look like on such a screen.

'True HD' is a fully subjective term, useless in this context. Apps scaling to 112.5% would look atrocious, even with the best interpolation algorithms (which Apple tends to use at the OS level anyway). I'll stick with the predicted 640x1136, which is still 16:9.

• Reply 11 of 13

What? $699 for another B&W Zepplin dock with a new connector? Not funny!

• Reply 12 of 13

I'm not trying to start something but what is wrong with micro usb?  Why does they have to use a special cable?  You can sync with a micro usb and you don't really need it for connecting to speakers as I have a bluetooth speaker and headphones.  I guess I don't understand why they even need this over using the standard micro usb.

• Reply 13 of 13
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

These pics plus the previous rumour of the ad-hoc AirPlay could be that Apple really is eschewing the various options of the connector, but I'd say that is still very unlikely or they would have used a standard Micro-USB port instead.

How about because they can do a better industrial design than Micro-USB? How about because Micro-USB isn't reversible?

More to the point, because Micro-USB is a 2.0 USB standard....