Here is my idea for a new gun law.....feel free to find flaws in it

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

When ever I hear of a inner city or drive by shooting, or any crime that involves a gun...I  always ask.."Where did they get the gun" most times it is bought off the street...stolen gun....for around 50 bucks.  The the rif raf thug uses the gun to break into someones house, rob a licquor or convenience store....all to buy more drugs and guns...and maybe he or she shoots someone in the process...HOW TO STOP IT...

Well what if we had a law that said..."if you are caught using/having a gun in a crime, B&E,hold up etc...and/or you are caught selling illegal firearms on the street...stolen guns etc....the penalty is life imprisonment...no parole"

Sound too tough?  I don't think so...we want to STOP the murder or shooting before...not after...and cold blooded pre meditated attempted murder  should carry the same as murder...which is what someone is committing when they hold  up a store, break into a house etc

Also it would send the price of stolen guns sky high, because nobody is going to traffic in stolen guns for 50 bucks a pop.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

Im not sure where you're from, but in the USA, crimes committed with a gun already carry a much greater penalty than those committed without a gun. (It actually applies to any weapon.) ... that is the difference between the terms "robbery" and "aggravated robbery" ... "aggravated" involved the use of a weapon.

It would make no difference in the price of black-market guns, and would do nothing to deter criminals.  They're already breaking the law by robbing/raping/murdering... what makes you think they would care about another law that provides a stiffer penalty for carrying a gun while they do it?

At least you're THINKING about it, rather than just spouting rhetoric from one side or the other, but in this case your idea has already been proven ineffectual.

• Reply 2 of 5
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Doesn't your plan create an incentive for these burglars to become murderers if they have any thought that they might be caught in committing their crime?

• Reply 3 of 5

I thought about that...don't know. If they didn't actually kill anybody then they would not get the death penalty, if the state allowed it. To the 1st poster I am in the USA.

My point is if we make the penalty very very severe...I do think the price of black market guns would go way up and thus get them out of the rif raf. 

If the cost of a stolen gun went to say 10,000 or even higher...the thief is going to need to make money with it...he is not going to use it to break into someones house to steal what...maybe  a few hundred dollars of stuff to sell...he would need to go where the money is....better a bank than someones house.

One thing is for sure...the penalties are way too light. And when I hear Congress trying to come up with more laws that affect the honest gun user...it drives me nuts...they aren't the problem

• Reply 4 of 5
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sostoobad View Post

I thought about that...don't know. If they didn't actually kill anybody then they would not get the death penalty, if the state allowed it. To the 1st poster I am in the USA.

My point is if we make the penalty very very severe...I do think the price of black market guns would go way up and thus get them out of the rif raf. 

If the cost of a stolen gun went to say 10,000 or even higher...the thief is going to need to make money with it...he is not going to use it to break into someones house to steal what...maybe  a few hundred dollars of stuff to sell...he would need to go where the money is....better a bank than someones house.

One thing is for sure...the penalties are way too light. And when I hear Congress trying to come up with more laws that affect the honest gun user...it drives me nuts...they aren't the problem

The problem is that handing out the death penalty is kinda rare anyway and seems to be getting more rare with some states even starting to go away from it.

Bottom line is that this is sorta similar to the "Three Strikes" law that Clinton passed. The idea was that on your 3rd strike (crime), if you got caught and convicted, it was like an automatic life sentence. Problem is it created an incentive for criminals to commit murder on that 3rd time. Eliminate any witness. "I'm going to go away for life anyway if I get caught. Nothing to lose here."

• Reply 5 of 5

When you got a money, you can easily get gun licensed or not. Gun is good on one side, we can use it to depend ourselves from bad guys. Having a gun must go with responsibility. You must know when to use it and not.