Photoshop CS 6 update to bring Retina support this fall, Lightroom to follow

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As promised, Adobe will be updating its latest Photoshop CS6 image editing software to support HiDPI screens like the one found in Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina display, with an expected rollout scheduled for this fall.

In a blog post on Thursday, Adobe announced both Photoshop and Lightroom will be getting HiDPI functionality "in the coming months," specifically naming Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina display as an example of what to expect from the high-resolution support.

When Apple announced the MacBook Pro with Retina display in June, the company said Adobe was already working to bring HiDPI compatibility to the professional photo editor but fell short of mentioning when to expect the update.

While the free Photoshop CS6 update is slated to reach existing customers this fall, the launch schedule for Lightroom 4 appears to be up in the air, as Adobe said it will release the software "as soon as work is complete."

In another post specifically regarding Adobe's work in relation to the MacBook Pro with Retina display, the company said other programs are expected to follow suit but notes the process of updating software to support such a high-resolution screen is more involved than just tweaking UI elements.

From Thursday's blog post:
The increased resolution of these displays requires that each product update the interface of the application and ensure that the content or the creation itself is displayed accurately with the appropriate level of fidelity. As an example, to enable HiDPI display support in Photoshop requires the replacement of 2500 icons and cursors and other engineering work which will be complete and ready for customers this Fall. [?] Therefore each product team will be releasing support for HiDPI display for Apple?s Retina Display as soon as the development is complete and tested for each individual product.
Currently, Adobe plans to bring HiDPI support to Dreamweaver, Edge Animate, Illustrator, Photoshop Touch, Prelude, Adobe Premiere Pro and SpeedGrade. The updates will be free to CS6 and Creative Cloud users.

Creative Cloud

The blog post points out that Photoshop, Lightroom and the iPad-centric Photoshop Touch will all support Retina display quality screens, but Photoshop Elements will not be HiDPI-compatible in the near future.

Also mentioned Creative Cloud members should expect to receive "new features" soon, though the company failed to give further details on what those could be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    [...]screens like the one found in Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina display [...] specifically naming Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina display as an example of what to expect from the high-resolution support.

Is there any other product worth naming individually at this point?
  • Reply 2 of 16

UGGH WHEN?!?! Anyone got any ideas? I should be able to get my Retina Macbook tommorrow.

• Reply 3 of 16

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    so now when Photoshop CS6 does it's daily background crash on my RMBP will just Photoshop be retinal or will the crash report screen be too, would hate to miss out :-)

• Reply 4 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry g View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    so now when Photoshop CS6 does it's daily background crash on my RMBP will just Photoshop be retinal or will the crash report screen be too, would hate to miss out :-)

You should probably contact either/both Adobe and/or Apple instead of just complaining on a fan rumor site because the crash behavior you are describing is not normal. I would suggest looking into fonts as a possible cause. If you are using a third party font management app, it needs to be compatible with ML. Also Font Book can be in conflict with the third party font manager so maybe look at that as well.

• Reply 5 of 16
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

We had to go back to CS5, not because of the lack of retina MBP support, but simply because CS6 is not even beta software. Crashes all over the place, RIPs don't work properly, a nightmare. I thought that CS4 was Adobe's all-time-low in terms of quality, but CS6 is even worse. It does not even bring any features worth mentioning, and we simply should not have bought it (DreamWeaver takes the crown for not bringing one single noteworthy new feature, only an even more disgusting GUI and constant freezing and crashes). And now they want to push their damned subscriptions down our throat by making standard maintenance releases and point upgrades a subscriber-only item for an undefined amount of time... Adobe has definitely become a rogue company and a provider professionals should not rely on.

We already went back from InDesign to Quark last year (despite having ID paid and included in the suites), their support is lightyears better (well, nobody could possibly go below Adobe's support), you do not need to buy at least one additional book per program, as the help files contain nothing of value with Adobe, and their GUI is not great, but certainly ahead of Adobe's complete garbage. I do not need all of Adobe's features at all (not even a quarter of them), but as long as pretty much nobody supports CMYK outside of Adobe (and Quark) we will stay in that trap.

There are at least 400 mobile phone models available in most markets and people scream for competition (not sure why); there is exactly one professional photo editing application with CMYK support (I kindly ignore that GIMP trash), and I do not hear much. Maybe being professional and STFU mean the same thing now. Adobe should be tarred, feathered and chased through the town at least daily.

• Reply 6 of 16
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

You know how ATT, T-Mobile talk about 4G speeds, etc throw in LTE and yet as far as a consumer goes, who the Hell knows who has what, where and if not, when and will it work on my current phone, blah, blah, blah.  

So will iMacs be updated with a true Retina display or do the current iMac display specs qualify for the moniker 'Retina", Apple's ACD's also?

Considering Adobe PS is coding for Retina, is this the next big thing for all displays, such as those found on the iMac?  If so, does anyone think one will see it on the next iMac release or will it be further down the line?  Surely Retina is not going to be for laptops only.  Thanks.

/

/

• Reply 7 of 16
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member

What we need in Lightroom is HTML5 themes for the web galleries, AND some more flexibility personalize.

• Reply 8 of 16
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member

No After Effects??

• Reply 9 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

We had to go back to CS5, not because of the lack of retina MBP support, but simply because CS6 is not even beta software. Crashes all over the place, RIPs don't work properly, a nightmare. I thought that CS4 was Adobe's all-time-low in terms of quality, but CS6 is even worse. It does not even bring any features worth mentioning, and we simply should not have bought it (DreamWeaver takes the crown for not bringing one single noteworthy new feature, only an even more disgusting GUI and constant freezing and crashes). And now they want to push their damned subscriptions down our throat by making standard maintenance releases and point upgrades a subscriber-only item for an undefined amount of time... Adobe has definitely become a rogue company and a provider professionals should not rely on.

We already went back from InDesign to Quark last year (despite having ID paid and included in the suites), their support is lightyears better (well, nobody could possibly go below Adobe's support), you do not need to buy at least one additional book per program, as the help files contain nothing of value with Adobe, and their GUI is not great, but certainly ahead of Adobe's complete garbage. I do not need all of Adobe's features at all (not even a quarter of them), but as long as pretty much nobody supports CMYK outside of Adobe (and Quark) we will stay in that trap.

There are at least 400 mobile phone models available in most markets and people scream for competition (not sure why); there is exactly one professional photo editing application with CMYK support (I kindly ignore that GIMP trash), and I do not hear much. Maybe being professional and STFU mean the same thing now. Adobe should be tarred, feathered and chased through the town at least daily.

Dude, I don't know where to start but let me just say...."You're holding it wrong!"

You said : "RIPs don't work properly"

Ok it sounds like you have some mixed up work flow problems. Perhaps you did not get the memo. We don't print plate/film/proofing directly from Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator anymore. That went out in the 90s. Everything is PDF-X work flow now. It sort of sounds like you are trying to do everything yourself and still holding on to old methodology. Things have definitely changed in the printing industry in the last 5 years or so. Please don't blame Adobe for your likely equipment/software incompatibilities. I can tell you for certain we have none of the problems you are experiencing so I'm guessing the the problem is probably not with Adobe. 

BTW the subscription model is fantastic because you can download either Windows or Mac or both and put applications on various machines. For example you can put After Effects and Premier on a Windows box for your video expert and then install inDesign on a Mac for your layout person and Photoshop on another workstation where you can do photo work. Then install Dreamweaver only on your web dev's computer. That way you can mix and match with older version of each application to complement the dedicated experts for each part of the work flow.

I am not saying Adobe is not without their problems, however if you have decided to go back to Quark then you must not be working in collaboration with other designers because everyone use CS now days as it is all about the ecosystem just like Apple is with their ecosystem. The only people using Quark are in-house printing and publishing businesses who only work on their own documents. I think you need some outside consulting services to straighten out your issues because they are apparently causing you a great deal of needless anger.

• Reply 10 of 16
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Dude, I don't know where to start but let me just say...."You're holding it wrong!"

You said : "RIPs don't work properly"

Ok it sounds like you have some mixed up work flow problems. Perhaps you did not get the memo. We don't print plate/film/proofing directly from Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator anymore. That went out in the 90s. Everything is PDF-X work flow now. It sort of sounds like you are trying to do everything yourself and still holding on to old methodology. Things have definitely changed in the printing industry in the last 5 years or so. Please don't blame Adobe for your likely equipment/software incompatibilities. I can tell you for certain we have none of the problems you are experiencing so I'm guessing the the problem is probably not with Adobe. 

BTW the subscription model is fantastic because you can download either Windows or Mac or both and put applications on various machines. For example you can put After Effects and Premier on a Windows box for your video expert and then install inDesign on a Mac for your layout person and Photoshop on another workstation where you can do photo work. Then install Dreamweaver only on your web dev's computer. That way you can mix and match with older version of each application to complement the dedicated experts for each part of the work flow.

I am not saying Adobe is not without their problems, however if you have decided to go back to Quark then you must not be working in collaboration with other designers because everyone use CS now days as it is all about the ecosystem just like Apple is with their ecosystem. The only people using Quark are in-house printing and publishing businesses who only work on their own documents. I think you need some outside consulting services to straighten out your issues because they are apparently causing you a great deal of needless anger.

Well, it is always nice that people from the US assume that the rest of the world is the same, no matter how it really is.

In the area where we are working right now, the predominant software solutions are still Pagemaker for print layout and Corel Draw for Illustrations, a print shop that would give you correct prints from a PDF-X does not exist (and yes, we tried, at least a dozen). Fact is that the idiots at Adobe have not briefed anybody with a single word that 'old' functionality is broken. If you think a company providing (and charging for) professional products has no obligation to advise users of such 'changes' (they are not really changes, just proper fat bugs), then please do not apply this opinion to others who simply can't live with it.

The choice between Quark and ID does not really have any effect on collaboration, as both products are extremely rare here. As all our internal teams went back to Quark (and that was an unanimous decision, one of the few we ever had, as everybody was sick of Adobe), because that is what they prefer to use by a wide margin. And, needless to say, Quark's software does not have a single of the problems that ID is having, everything just works.

We have no need to install anything on Windows PCs, as we do not have any. Every single purchase here is a 3-4 months procurement and approval exercise, I would need to deploy one staff member to just do all the needed paperwork to have any subscription paid on a monthly basis. I also can't rely on electronic distribution, as I have approx. 300 people sharing one 2 Mbps line (the fastest one available where we are). It works for Apple products as we only have to download them once and put the on the OS X server for distribution, it does not work for Adobe updates.

• Reply 11 of 16
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Well, it is always nice that people from the US assume that the rest of the world is the same, no matter how it really is.

In the area where we are working right now, the predominant software solutions are still Pagemaker for print layout and Corel Draw for Illustrations, a print shop that would give you correct prints from a PDF-X does not exist (and yes, we tried, at least a dozen). Fact is that the idiots at Adobe have not briefed anybody with a single word that 'old' functionality is broken. If you think a company providing (and charging for) professional products has no obligation to advise users of such 'changes' (they are not really changes, just proper fat bugs), then please do not apply this opinion to others who simply can't live with it.

The choice between Quark and ID does not really have any effect on collaboration, as both products are extremely rare here. As all our internal teams went back to Quark (and that was an unanimous decision, one of the few we ever had, as everybody was sick of Adobe), because that is what they prefer to use by a wide margin. And, needless to say, Quark's software does not have a single of the problems that ID is having, everything just works.

We have no need to install anything on Windows PCs, as we do not have any. Every single purchase here is a 3-4 months procurement and approval exercise, I would need to deploy one staff member to just do all the needed paperwork to have any subscription paid on a monthly basis. I also can't rely on electronic distribution, as I have approx. 300 people sharing one 2 Mbps line (the fastest one available where we are). It works for Apple products as we only have to download them once and put the on the OS X server for distribution, it does not work for Adobe updates.

Instead of being snippy, you could simply acknowledge that maybe your situation is a bit unusual and to representative of the overall market Adobe is catering too. Clearly, you're not on the cutting edge, which is fine. But "professional" usually signifies following the latest trends.

It's the same as bemoaning Apple ditching physical media because you're usage requires it.

That said, Adobe is terrible and I wish they had some competition. For every feature they add, I swear they take one away, even basic features you take for granted.
  • Reply 12 of 16

adobe having retina support will really help sell the retina laptops.  And creative users with retina laptops will really be annoyed with the way non-retina content looks on the retina displays. So they will be updating the content.  

Nearsighted folks rejoice!  I have a pimped out apple retina laptop that i just got today and I really love how retina content looks...

AND retina lightroom on a ssd laptop will really be great.

• Reply 13 of 16

This is interesting… it seems like a lot of effort just to support one "retina" laptop… do most Photoshop users do the majority of their work using a 15" laptop display…? I don't think so...

Rather, this implies Apple might be moving forward with rolling out Retina more aggressively across their line… 

We were just discussing this in another thread, how releasing a Retina iMac could be potentially difficult and costly (both materials and processing power), and might not arrive anytime soon...

This announcement sort of implies otherwise, doesn't it...

• Reply 14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

In the area where we are working right now, the predominant software solutions are still Pagemaker for print layout and Corel Draw for Illustrations, a print shop that would give you correct prints from a PDF-X does not exist (and yes, we tried, at least a dozen). ...[...]...

We have no need to install anything on Windows PCs, as we do not have any

Now you really lost me. There is no version of Pagemaker or Corel Draw, that I know of, which will run on even an older version of OS X especially not one that also can install CS6?

• Reply 15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

This is interesting… it seems like a lot of effort just to support one "retina" laptop… do most Photoshop users do the majority of their work using a 15" laptop display…? I don't think so...

Rather, this implies Apple might be moving forward with rolling out Retina more aggressively across their line… 

We were just discussing this in another thread, how releasing a Retina iMac could be potentially difficult and costly (both materials and processing power), and might not arrive anytime soon...

This announcement sort of implies otherwise, doesn't it...

Adobe doesn't know what Apple's doing, the ONLY thing that would signal Apple rolling Retina out to the rest of their line up (Aside from history and common sense) would be if Apple's updated apps used SVG instead of PNG, with SVG they'd only need one file for EVERY resolution.

• Reply 16 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You know how ATT, T-Mobile talk about 4G speeds, etc throw in LTE and yet as far as a consumer goes, who the Hell knows who has what, where and if not, when and will it work on my current phone, blah, blah, blah.  

So will iMacs be updated with a true Retina display or do the current iMac display specs qualify for the moniker 'Retina", Apple's ACD's also?

Considering Adobe PS is coding for Retina, is this the next big thing for all displays, such as those found on the iMac?  If so, does anyone think one will see it on the next iMac release or will it be further down the line?  Surely Retina is not going to be for laptops only.  Thanks.

/

/

No, of course none of Apple's screens (aside from the Retina Macbook) qualify as Retina, NONE of them have a resolution above or even close to 200 DPI.