Google rumored to launch Nexus 7 with 3G in October

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Google and its manufacturing partner Asus are reportedly planning to launch a new version of the Nexus 7 tablet in October with a cellular radio for wireless data connectivity on the go.

The new hardware will arrive next month, according to a "well placed insider" who spoke with MoDaCo. The new device will include a wireless radio for mobile data, but there will be no other changes to the hardware from the current Wi-Fi-only model.

The report said the new model will be a "3G" version. It did not indicate whether the rumored device will be able to connect to high-speed 4G LTE networks.

Asus is said to be ramping up production of the new device, and is on schedule to launch in about six weeks. A launch date and availability have yet to be nailed down.

A 3G version of the Nexus 7 would go beyond Amazon's current Kindle Fire, which is only available with Wi-Fi connectivity. However, Amazon is set to hold a media event on Thursday where it is expected to unveil new Kindle Fire models, which could potentially include a 3G or 4G LTE variant.

Nexus 4

Apple has offered cellular data connectivity with its market leading iPad since the first model launched in 2010. This year's third-generation iPad was the first Apple device to include high-speed 4G LTE connectivity.

With the Wi-Fi Nexus 7 now available a 3G version rumored to be forthcoming, and Amazon apparently gearing up to debut new models, competition is heating up in the smaller tablet space. Apple is expected to throw its hat into the ring in October, when it is rumored to launch a smaller 7.85-inch iPad that will be available alongside its existing 9.7-inch model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

So let me get this straight, Apple is planning to release a iPad Mini supposedly, that would with no doubt have 3G. Apple is rumored to hold the event in October a seperate one from the iPhone.

Google is going to release the nexus with 3G also a rumor.

Although this sounds odd that both these rumors would coincide, it wouldn't  surprise if Google tried to beat Apple to it?

• Reply 2 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So let me get this straight, Apple is planning to release a iPad Mini supposedly, that would with no doubt have 3G. Apple is rumored to hold the event in October a seperate one from the iPhone.

Although this sounds odd that both these rumors would coincide, it wouldn't  surprise if Google tried to beat Apple to it?

I'm not so sure about cellular in the iPad Mini. It makes complete sense for cellular connectivity to be part of a more portable internet-capable device but it does increase the price substantially by doing so, as well as reduce battery life. How many that would buy a budget tablet that doesn't have high capacity, a Retina display, latest CPU tech (except for the lithography which is used to reduce power consumption), will then spend $100+ for cellular connectivity.

Perhaps they could lower it by not including 4G LTE but I'm thinking they'd still want to use Qualcomm's 28nm tech and there are still so many licenses and costs with 3G that even then I'd expect it to be around $80 and be a 20% or more power hit.
  • Reply 3 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not so sure about cellular in the iPad Mini. It makes complete sense for cellular connectivity to be part of a more portable internet-capable device but it does increase the price substantially by doing so, as well as reduce battery life. How many that would buy a budget tablet that doesn't have high capacity, a Retina display, latest CPU tech (except for the lithography which is used to reduce power consumption), will then spend $100+ for cellular connectivity.

Perhaps they could lower it by not including 4G LTE but I'm thinking they'd still want to use Qualcomm's 28nm tech and there are still so many licenses and costs with 3G that even then I'd expect it to be around $80 and be a 20% or more power hit.

But Apple could find a way of figuring it out, without having to raise the price too high.

• Reply 4 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    But Apple could find a way of figuring it out, without having to raise the price too high.

Without raising the price too high? I dropped the price by $50 in my example while still using the latest lithography.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

If the rumours aren't true & apple don't release an iPad mini a nexus 7 with 3G would be the best 7 inch tablet around (price to specs) & could get some decent sales.

I hope apple do bring out the iPad mini, id want one but wouldn't really need it, i have an iPad & iPhone.

• Reply 6 of 49

K.

• Reply 7 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    zozman wrote: »
    If the rumours aren't true & apple don't release an iPad mini a nexus 7 with 3G would be the best 7 inch tablet around (price to specs) & could get some decent sales.

At least until Apple adds it to their string of law suits and has it banned.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

True dat haha

something weird i've noticed amongst alot of my friends on Facebook, their impression of samsung throughout the court case & even now is like Samsung is robin hood & its trying to help the poor & rich apple is the evil sherif, so I kind of hope apple picks its battles more carefully or people might forget they make amazing products & just think of the law suits.

• Reply 9 of 49
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I think you are the only person on this planet who asks lawyers to ban a rumor.

Quote:

• Reply 10 of 49
    zozman wrote: »
    True dat haha

something weird i've noticed amongst alot of my friends on Facebook, their impression of samsung throughout the court case & even now is like Samsung is robin hood & its trying to help the poor & rich apple is the evil sherif, so I kind of hope apple picks its battles more carefully or people might forget they make amazing products & just think of the law suits.

Samsung is half way to being Robin Hood. They've stolen from the rich (Apple) but they haven't gotten around to giving to the poor.

(Paraphrased from Black Adder.)
  • Reply 11 of 49
    mcrs wrote: »
    I think you are the only person on this planet who asks lawyers to ban a rumor.

I'm not asking lawyers to ban a rumor. I'm suggesting that Apple will probably add the new Nexus 7 to their lawsuit if it does, in fact, exist and if Samsung has not removed all the infringing technologies (and given their recent actions, it's unlikely that they would have removed all the infringing technologies).
  • Reply 12 of 49
    It is certainly true in the UK that Samsung's reputation has shot up since the case. People think that Samsung are being bullied by Apple.

Although they have no understanding of the details in the case, public perception ( no matter how baseless it is ) does matter.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Having LTE on my iPad has really spoiled me. I can't see buying something with only 3G. When I use my iPhone to browse the web on cellular it feels like a 56k baud modem.

• Reply 14 of 49

Quote:

I'm not asking lawyers to ban a rumor. I'm suggesting that Apple will probably add the new Nexus 7 to their lawsuit if it does, in fact, exist and if Samsung has not removed all the infringing technologies (and given their recent actions, it's unlikely that they would have removed all the infringing technologies).

I don't think Samsung has anything to do with the Nexus 7

• Reply 15 of 49
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

Nexus 7 is made by Asus, not Samsung

• Reply 16 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

The Nexus 7 is sold exclusively by Google right? Is there any Asus branding on it?

• Reply 17 of 49
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The Nexus 7 is sold exclusively by Google right? Is there any Asus branding on it?

I think that it has Asus engraved in the back

• Reply 18 of 49
    F google and all their sh*t.
  • Reply 19 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

On the iPad 1,2,3 you can turn off cellular data -- I believe that significantly reduces or eliminates that battery hit.

• Reply 20 of 49
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't think Samsung has anything to do with the Nexus 7

gwydion wrote: »

If that's the case, I withdraw my statement.

The branding of 'Nexus' devices is confusing. Different manufacturers make and sell Nexus products - which is a crazy way to do things. For example, the Galaxy Nexus is made by Samsung.