Updated Photoshop Touch for iOS gets Retina display, Photo Stream support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe on Wednesday rolled out an update for Photoshop Touch, adding new features and support for devices equipped with high resolution Retina displays like Apple's third-generation iPad.

While Photoshop Touch v1.3 is an update for both iOS and Android devices, Apple iPad users will be able to take advantage of the tablet's Retina display as the app's user interface, text and graphic assets now support the high-resolution screen. Also announced was the app's integration with Apple's Photo Stream service which allows iOS device users to pull images directly from iCloud.

The new UI features are joined by the ability to work with print-resolution images up to 12 megapixels, with each file capable of handling up to 16 full-size layers in real time. It should be noted that the default resolution is 4.2 megapixels with 10 layers, but can be raised to the full 12-megapixel maximum in the app's preferences. Due to its limited processing power, the iPad 2 can only handle resolutions up to 10 megapixels.

Two new effects called Shred and Colorize are now available, as well as overall operational tweaks like smoother animations and added multitouch gesture controls.

Photoshop Touch
Photoshop Touch screenshot. | Source: Adobe

According to Adobe, it was "no easy task to get such a complex app like Photoshop Touch to work with the Retina display," a statement echoed in a recent report regarding similar updates to the company's desktop software.

At the end of August, it was announced that both Photoshop and Lightroom will be getting support for the new MacBook Pro with Retina display's high-resolution screen this fall. Adobe also plans to bring HiDPI support to Dreamweaver, Edge Animate, Illustrator, Photoshop Touch, Prelude, Adobe Premiere Pro and SpeedGrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Am I the only one who find the choice of photo editing apps in App Store too mind-boggling? There are too many. Good for choices and I have a few but I still can't find the best ONE out there.

I like those two new additions though RD and iPS.
  • Reply 2 of 7

What Apple needs to do for the next iPad is to reduce the touch input lag (latency) from 50ms to 1ms. Add in a bluetooth 4.0 stylus that transmits pressure sensitivity and you have a device that can replace professional digital art tools (I'm looking at you Wacom Cintiq touch monitors).

http://www.techspot.com/news/47784-advances-in-touch-screens-promise-1ms-input-lag-instead-of-100ms.html

• Reply 3 of 7

...According to Adobe, it was "no easy task"...  Yeah but you did it. Now let's get Photoshop updated for MBP peeps who do heavy professional photo work.

• Reply 4 of 7

1. Photoshop Touch isn't complicated at all. 2. it's only "hard" because they're lazy.

• Reply 5 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    1. Photoshop Touch isn't complicated at all. 2. it's only "hard" because they're lazy.

I had similar thoughts. Why would a retina screen make things harder for a photo editing app? That is like saying every upgrade to a monitor on a Mac makes things harder. Really it makes no sense.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I had to laugh when seeing this post. That is like saying there is a best one out there for the Mac, there isn't of ourselves. Like wise there will never be a best one for the iPad. There might be one that fits your needs best but that is a different thing altogether.

The good thing with iPad is that it has upset the Apple cart and companies like Adobe are a bit behind. This puts a lot of fresh blood into the app development market.
    Am I the only one who find the choice of photo editing apps in App Store too mind-boggling? There are too many. Good for choices and I have a few but I still can't find the best ONE out there. I like those two new additions though RD and iPS.
  • Reply 7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Am I the only one who find the choice of photo editing apps in App Store too mind-boggling? There are too many. Good for choices and I have a few but I still can't find the best ONE out there. I like those two new additions though RD and iPS.

Agreed. The app store suffers from too many apps, making it difficult to find any one app that does the complete job.

I honestly think apple encourages this behavior. It's more profitable to get people to buy 3-4 apps because each one has a missing feature or two, rather then encourage or promote any one "best" app.