sharing files from Windows machine to a Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have my Powermac, iMac, and IBM Thinkpad all on the same network.

I know how to and have no problems sharing files between my two Macs over the network, but can someone explain how I share my files from my Thinkpad to my Macs?

In Windows XP I went to Search / Computers or People / A Computer on the Network, but when I enter my user name and click search nothing is found.

Are there any settings I'm missing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Assuming you are using OS X...

I can't take credit for this. I clipped it from another message board but it was very helpful. This tells how to setup sharing in both directions.

-------------------------

-On PC and Mac, make sure the workgroup names are the same.

On PC, this means Start->MyComputer->Rightclcik->Properties->Computer Name-> press Change. Should be Workgroup as the workgroupname.

On Mac, Applications:Utilities launch Directory Access, click lock and enter password to admin, then click smb and configure. Make sure name is the same workgroup name as on PC.

-On Mac, System preferences:Sharing Tab. Click on Windows File Sharing

-On PC: Make sure you have atleast one folder shared.

-To mount PC share on the Mac:Go menu, Connect to Server. If the PC shows up great, just click it. If not, enter the IP as smb://IP_Adress/sharename. Enter userid and password and you are set

-To mount Mac shares on the PC:Start->My Network Places, Click Add Network Place. Click Next a few times, till you see a Browse button, click browse, expand Entire Network object until you see the Mac name there.

Both the Mac and the PC have to have folders shared inorder to share.

If either computer can't 'see' the other:

-check cables

-check workgroup names

-ensure folders are shared

-pick up XP box and heave it out the Window.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>Assuming you are using OS X...

I can't take credit for this. I clipped it from another message board but it was very helpful. This tells how to setup sharing in both directions.

-------------------------

-On PC and Mac, make sure the workgroup names are the same.

On PC, this means Start-&gt;MyComputer-&gt;Rightclcik-&gt;Properties-&gt;Computer Name-&gt; press Change. Should be Workgroup as the workgroupname.

On Mac, Applications:Utilities launch Directory Access, click lock and enter password to admin, then click smb and configure. Make sure name is the same workgroup name as on PC.

-On Mac, System preferences:Sharing Tab. Click on Windows File Sharing

-On PC: Make sure you have atleast one folder shared.

-To mount PC share on the Mac:Go menu, Connect to Server. If the PC shows up great, just click it. If not, enter the IP as smb://IP_Adress/sharename. Enter userid and password and you are set

-To mount Mac shares on the PC:Start-&gt;My Network Places, Click Add Network Place. Click Next a few times, till you see a Browse button, click browse, expand Entire Network object until you see the Mac name there.

Both the Mac and the PC have to have folders shared inorder to share.

If either computer can't 'see' the other:

-check cables

-check workgroup names

-ensure folders are shared

-pick up XP box and heave it out the Window.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just want to give you tremendous credit for always coming through with your help on networking. Is a nice service to the forum.

You helped me with it and it is nice to see you help others as well.

You deserve some cool points for your helpful nature

God Bless

Fellowship