Apple's new Lightning connector is 80% smaller, orientation independent

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's new 9-pin iOS device connector, dubbed Lightning, is 80 percent smaller than its predecessor, is all-digital, and can be plugged in either way.

The new dock connector helped allow Apple to make the new iPhone 5 the thinnest smartphone on the market. The Lightning connection will be quickly supported by a number of third-party accessory makers highlighted by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, including Bose, JBL, and B&W.

Schiller also promised "a bunch of accessories" that will allow users to utilize their legacy accessories that rely on the nearly 10-year-old 30-pin dock connector.

Lightning features
Source: ArsTechnica

Bluetooth, WiFi, AirPlay, Wireless sync, iCloud

Lightning icon

Schiller noted that the Lightning moniker matches up with the existing Thunderbolt branding. However, speed and pricing of the new cables was not mentioned, as Apple highlighted that many functions, including syncing, video output and updating, can now be accomplished wirelessly using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or mobile connections.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45

Goodie, goodie; more dongles!

• Reply 2 of 45
    Deleted
  • Reply 3 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

8 pin* Not 9. Maybe you had this article pre-written?

Hmm. It says 8-signal. Does that mean 9 or 8 pins?

• Reply 4 of 45
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    So...we've had Thunderbolt.

And now we've got Lightning.

This is all very, very frightening.

(I couldn't resist...)
  • Reply 5 of 45
    The language they used was 8 pins for signaling. Technically, ground isn't signaling.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    8 signals GND = 9 pins
  • Reply 7 of 45
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I think AI should have stuck with Apple's term:  "reversible"...

Much less suggestive.

• Reply 8 of 45
    Headphone jacks are orientation independent, the new connector is not.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The Store is back up. You can order the cables and adapters. Says available to ship. What time GMT does the pre-ordering begin on Friday for the iPhone. I'm sure they will be sold out in a matter of an hour or perhaps less.

• Reply 10 of 45
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    >>>>>>

(I couldn't resist...)
    <<<<

You forgot iCloud :)
  • Reply 11 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

(I couldn't resist...)

Donder und Blitzen!

• Reply 12 of 45
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Thunderbolt? USB 3?

• Reply 13 of 45

This morning on the Today show some "tech expert" who is clearly a moron, was going on about how the new doc connector would be a micro USB connector because all the countries of europe were going to require it.....  Some tech experts should read more and talk less.

• Reply 14 of 45

Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Thunderbolt? USB 3?

There's not even a standalone page for it on Apple's website, which I find surprising. We don't even know what it DOES; all we heard was "most of this stuff is done wirelessly now".

• Reply 15 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

This morning on the Today show some "tech expert" who is clearly a moron, was going on about how the new doc connector would be a micro USB connector because all the countries of europe were going to require it.....  Some tech experts should read more and talk less.

Wish they would - that way no one in Europe can get one - more for the world to buy, since they sell all they can make anyhow.  What next - "European Union requires Flash Players on all i-devices"?

• Reply 16 of 45
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    deleted
  • Reply 17 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Headphone jacks are orientation independent, the new connector is not.

Ok, you'll have to explain that.

• Reply 18 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok, you'll have to explain that.

The new connector has two possible orientations…  North facing and South facing, if you will.  A headphone jack is round, so it can face any direction on the compass.  It would be better to refer to the new dock connector as reversible, as someone else suggested earlier in the thread.

• Reply 19 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's not even a standalone page for it on Apple's website, which I find surprising. We don't even know what it DOES; all we heard was "most of this stuff is done wirelessly now".

Yes, I spent some time looking. I imagine it's USB 3, since Thunderbold would be impossible, at this time, on a mobile device. that's both because of the cost and size of even the cheap Thunderbolt chip, and the power requirements, which are fairly high. At some point in the future it could happen.

• Reply 20 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post

The new connector has two possible orientations…  North facing and South facing, if you will.  A headphone jack is round, so it can face any direction on the compass.  It would be better to refer to the new dock connector as reversible, as someone else suggested earlier in the thread.

Ok, couldn't get what you meant.