6.1mm-thick 5th-gen iPod touch has Siri, 4" display, A5 CPU

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's new iPod touch features the same larger 4-inch screen as the iPhone 5, while sporting a design 6.1 millimeters thick that weighs just 88 grams. It also adds Siri support, comes in five colors, and includes a new wrist strap called the iPod touch loop.

The redesigned iPod touch has a brushed aluminum back, along with the new 9-pin Lightning connector. It also runs the A5 processor, giving it dual-core chip power.

iPod touch
iPod touch dual core CPU, dual core GPU A5 processor. | Source: Apple

The iPod touch can be purchased in five colors: raw aluminum, black, blue, yellow and red. The iPod touch loop wrist straps are also available in matching colors.

The new fifth-generation, 6.1 mm iPod touch is $299 for a 32-gigabyte model, while the high-end 64-gigabyte model is $399.

iPod touch Profile
iPod touch, 6.1mm thick with corresponding strap. | Source: Apple

The fourth-generation iPod touch will remain available for $199 for the 16-gigabyte model, while a 32-gigabyte model will be $249.

Apple said the new iPod touch has up to 7 times faster graphics than the previous iPod touch. It will also allow Siri voice control functionality.

The camera has been updated to a 5-megapixel iSight that is backside illuminated. Apple has promised the iPod touch offers up to 40 hours of music playback, or 8 hours of video, an improvement over the previous model.

The rear camera can shoot 1080p video with image stabilization, and the device supports iPhoto and iMovie for iOS. The forward-facing FaceTime camera also has 720p video functionality.

iPod touch Camera
iPod touch 5MP rear camera with LED flash
Source: Apple

Also added to the new iPod touch is panoramic photos in the camera application. That feature will also be available in the iPhone 5.

The iPod touch loop attaches to the back of the new iPod touch and allows users to secure the device with a wrist strap, with or without a cover.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    Any news on iPod Classic?
  • Reply 2 of 78

Originally Posted by ImperialForces View Post

Any news on iPod Classic?

Hopefully discontinued. Or kept, if the touch doesn't hit 128.

No 128GB iPod touch, so possibly kept. We'll have to wait for the Store page to come back up to confirm.

That 5th gen iPod touch price bothers me.

• Reply 3 of 78

Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

• Reply 4 of 78
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    [QUOTE]Apple said the new iPod nano has up to 7 times faster graphics than the previous iPod touch.[/QUOTE]

That's amazing, but what about the graphics in the new iPod touch? :3
  • Reply 5 of 78

Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

That's amazing, but what about the graphics in the new iPod touch? :3

It's an A5 chip. So those graphics.

• Reply 6 of 78

iPod classic confirmed to still be around, no updates to it.

My stars, are there really that many people that still buy it? More than the 17" MacBook Pro?

• Reply 7 of 78
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    What? No new 7" iPad? Clearly Apple is doomed.. DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMED. Sell all your stock now hurry!
  • Reply 8 of 78

The ugliest ipod touch ever.

• Reply 9 of 78
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member

Still no GPS. So much for that rumor.

• Reply 10 of 78

Indeed. hard to see where a 7"ish ipad would fit between the new touches and and the maxipad ;)

In a totally vein, Do the new touches now include a mic to support Siri? No mention of one...

• Reply 11 of 78

Given the price of the new iPod Touch and the retention of the older model, I suspect not many people will buy the new model

the new iPod Touch price also kills any iPad Mini being priced at the same level as the Fire / Nexus 7

Personally I'd rather buy an iPhone 4s than a new  iPod Touch, it may not have the screen size but it'll be more use :-)

• Reply 12 of 78

I think he meant to point out the error in comparing the iPod nano with the previous iPod touch in the article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's an A5 chip. So those graphics.

• Reply 13 of 78

The iPod Touch seems a bit expensive compared to the other devices out there. Perhaps they're counting on Siri and the faster chip to make up for the high price. It's only a matter of time for another tablet maker to have a much higher capacity memory chip priced the same or even less. As I see it somebody must really want a pocket size device to get an iPod Touch. Already other brands of phones have similar capacities.

I was expecting the Touch to be cheaper. Adding Siri doesn't seem like enough to pull me away from wanting to buy a seven inch tablet. I could go for a tablet because I don't store hundreds of songs. Now there are wireless devices that can be used as backup storage devices for tablets without a lot of built in storage. This makes the benefit of the greater capacity of the Touch not as worthwhile.

What Apple needs to do to win over people like me is to create a new codec that captures the audio clarity of analog. Remember almost a year ago Neil Young was saying Steve was interested in such a project? Neil said that today's mp3 recordings only have five percent of the actual fidelity of an analog record. I want something that good to come out into the market. If Apple leads the way and creates that they'll double their income as everybody with iTunes mp3s will want to upgrade to the audiophile experience.

By the way; what's with the Apple logo with the light and dark color scheme? The slash is from the upper left to the lower right, which is called a sinister mark in heraldry. Is this Apple's covert way of announcing that the company is now flirting with the dark side of things? It looks creepy. It is a sign that the company is now schizophrenic, battling with good versus evil. There are two camps within Apple and this is the signal to the world saying all is not well.

Did you notice that the Apple logo behind the band was all shiny black like Darth Vaters helmet? There was a ray of light shining out of the bite mark. Maybe it symbolized Steve's spirit trying to break out of this new gloomy burgeoning Apple Evil Empire.

• Reply 14 of 78
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

Yep!

My thoughts exactly...
  • Reply 15 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

Given the price of the new iPod Touch and the retention of the older model, I suspect not many people will buy the new model

the new iPod Touch price also kills any iPad Mini being priced at the same level as the Fire / Nexus 7

Personally I'd rather buy an iPhone 4s than a new  iPod Touch, it may not have the screen size but it'll be more use :-)

A comparable iPhone 4S would cost $600-700 so that's an irrelevant comparison.

I too was surprised at the pricing though. The Nano is $50 too high and the Touch is $100 too high. 

• Reply 16 of 78
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

If there is such a thing, they could still price it at $349. However, Tim spent an awful lot of time pointing out how the iPad - in its current size - still far out sells everyone else. So they're either not really making a new iPad or they are downplaying it to throw others off. I have a feeling Apple is going to wait until after the New Year to release any new iPads as they normally do.

• Reply 17 of 78

Originally Posted by lastmiracle View Post

I think he meant to point out the error in comparing the iPod nano with the previous iPod touch in the article.

Indeed. Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed!

• Reply 18 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

If there is such a thing, they could still price it at $349. However, Tim spent an awful lot of time pointing out how the iPad - in its current size - still far out sells everyone else. So they're either not really making a new iPad or they are downplaying it to throw others off. I have a feeling Apple is going to wait until after the New Year to release any new iPads as they normally do.

With the iPad 2 selling for $399 I can't see anyone buying the Mini for only $50 less.

Only way I see a Mini fitting in is if it has 8GB of storage standard for $199 or $249 and then the next storage capacity being 16GB or 32GB for $100-$150 more.

But with the specs people are talking for the Mini, Apple may as well just keep the iPad 2 around another year and sell it for $299

• Reply 19 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

This is a MASSIVE update for the Touch. I don't see how anyone can be dissapointed. But hey, it's Apple so many are no matter what they do. 

• Reply 20 of 78

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is a MASSIVE update for the Touch. I don't see how anyone can be dissapointed. But hey, it's Apple so many are no matter what they do. 

I sort of wish it was an A6 at those price points, but other than that, I've no complaints.