Apple to kill Ping social music sharing service on Sept. 30

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday quietly announced it is no longer accepting new members to its Ping service and will kill the project altogether on Sept. 30.

The message appeared in the Ping section of iTunes following Apple's announcement of the iPhone 5, new iPod models and the launch of iTunes 10.7. For those iTunes users who are currently Ping members, the music sharing service will be available until the September close date.

Apple CEO Tim Cook first hinted Ping might be getting axed during the D10 conference in May.

"Will we kill it?" Cook said, referring to the service. "I don't know. We'll look at that."

He said that while Apple does not have its own social network, the company needs to "be social."

Ping Ending
Apple's Ping service will end operations on Sept. 30. | Source: iTunes

Apple introduced Ping in 2010 as a social way to promote music discovery.

It was reported earlier in September that Ping may have been spawned by Apple's attempt to compete with music streaming companies like Pandora. The Cupertino tech giant allegedly felt that so-called internet radio would be beneficial in pushing iTunes sales, however the plans were scrapped with Ping promoted as an alternative music discovery solution.

Apple is once again rumored to be working on a music streaming service, however negotiations have yet to bear fruit.

While Ping received some acclaim at launch, the lack of true integration with social networks such as Facebook is thought to have been the service's downfall.

It is not clear what, if anything, will replace Ping, but Cook noted the deeper integration of Twitter and Facebook in iOS and the upcoming OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion update are examples of the company's social initiatives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25

Finally! What a terrible service. Apple was a fail in this area. It sucks. 

• Reply 2 of 25

Still more useful than Google+

• Reply 3 of 25
    Do you mean iTunes 11?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I really didn't care for it.  Didn't use it all that much.

• Reply 5 of 25
    I wanted to like Ping, and tried to sign up for it. But it did not allow me to have a completely private profile. That was it for me. Someone didn't think this one through.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    NOOOOO!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I have 10x as much interest in Ping as I have in Facebook. Which is to say: none at all. (But for those who used it, I sympathize about the loss.)
  • Reply 8 of 25

What a bummer!  I found quite a bit of new music through Ping.  It was also an easy place to keep up to date with my friends Playlists.

So it has a low user base, all that means is that Apple needed to improve it.  Open it up to everything in the iTunes Store, link it to iCloud and display users latest played songs, offer stats that you could post and share, etc.  There was a lot of potential.  Bummer that it was never fully taken advantage of.

• Reply 9 of 25

Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

Do you mean iTunes 11?

No, they mean 10.7. We don't even know if the next one is 11.

• Reply 10 of 25
    deleted
  • Reply 11 of 25

The whole concept of Ping was stupid.  Good riddance.

• Reply 12 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Apple had a social network?    ;-)

• Reply 13 of 25
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Apple had a social network?    ;-)

Yeah, it was called Buzz and they automatically signed all their customers up to it and shared their contacts...

...oh, hang on that was Google ????????????

• Reply 14 of 25

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yeah, it was called Buzz and they automatically signed all their customers up to it and shared their contacts...

whwhwhww, wait, they did that for Buzz?! Good thing I never had any solid contacts on my Gmail account…

• Reply 15 of 25
    yensid98 wrote: »
    What a bummer!  I found quite a bit of new music through Ping.  It was also an easy place to keep up to date with my friends Playlists.

So it has a low user base, all that means is that Apple needed to improve it.  Open it up to everything in the iTunes Store, link it to iCloud and display users latest played songs, offer stats that you could post and share, etc.  There was a lot of potential.  Bummer that it was never fully taken advantage of.

They could be killing it to replace it with something new when the new iTunes launches in Oct. something perhaps more like LaLa.com's sharing. They would want to make a clean start so the negative aura of Ping doesn't affect it
  • Reply 16 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's Buzz? Never heard of it.

• Reply 17 of 25

FAIL

• Reply 18 of 25

Yes I was 1 that would have signed-up but that no private account was confusing!

The signup showed my real name & private email address but also had listed my other username for feedback?

Also this would is better then having FB or Google 

• Reply 19 of 25
    Google is a success. I never understood the point of Facebook (which I don't use) or Ping (which I activated and never used). Google ... everyone I care about is on it, and that's a lot of people.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

I weep.   

(not)