Need help installing a Linksys Ethernet Card on a Win98 machine...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My parents have a Linksys Ethernet 10BaseT EtherPCI LAN Card II, Model LNEPCI2T. It was installed by the guy that installed Roadrunner on their computer. However, the fool took the Setup Disk that contains the drivers with him when he left. Now I need to reinstall the drivers, but I don't have the disk. I went to the Linksys.com site and downloaded the driver for this particular model, but Windows 98 does not detect this driver through the Add New Hardware Control Panel. I have also been to the Support section of the Linksys site, but there is nothing listed in the Knowledge Base about what to do if you don't have the disk.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Reseat it? It might not be properly into the slot. Are you sure it's a Plug and Play card?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by Stoo:

<strong>Reseat it? It might not be properly into the slot. Are you sure it's a Plug and Play card?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it should be a plug and play card. The Add New Hardware recognizes that it is there, it just does not recognize the driver as existing. The odd thing about the driver is that it is an .exe file...is that normal? If I double click it, it opens a DOS prompt (me thinks) and wants to create directories and such. But it still doesn't work....