Video shows BMW X5 crash into California Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A break-in at the Temecula, Calif., Apple Store last week was captured on video, showing the burglars crashing through the glass storefront and making a mad dash to grab as many valuable electronics as they could.

The video, highlighted by Tech-Shizzle on Thursday, is surveillance footage from inside the Temecula Apple Store. it shows a 2003 BMW X-5 crashing into the store, smashing the front windows and sending tables with Apple products on them flying.

Police have said that the vehicle was reportedly driven into the store by 22-year-old Equonne R. Howard, after which a passenger quickly stole iPhones and iPods.

Police allege that Howard popped two of the tires on the BMW. After the burglary took place, he reportedly changed one tire near the store, while the other flat was allegedly addressed with a stolen can of Fix-A-Flat from a nearby 7-11.

Howard, however, reportedly failed to repair the flat tires on his vehicle, and the BMW was abandoned about a mile from the Temecula Apple Store.

The suspect was apprehended by the Riverside Sheriff's Office when he returned to the scene of the crime in an apparent effort to retrieve the front license plate that came off his vehicle.

Howard is being held on $600,000 bail, which is the estimated amount of damage that was done to the Apple Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    Idiot.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    Why were they stealing $200 iPods when there are $2000 MacBook Pros all over the store? Any why smash up a BMW when you could steal a suburban?

Clearly some brilliant teamwork going on here.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    The stupidity of this astounds me.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Dad?  Yes Son.  Can I burrow the Beemer?  What do you need it for?  I want to go shopping with my friends.  Be back by midnight.  No problem dad, your the greatest.

• Reply 5 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Why were they stealing $200 iPods when there are $2000 MacBook Pros all over the store? Any why smash up a BMW when you could steal a suburban?

Clearly some brilliant teamwork going on here.

I'm sure the BMW was stolen so what do they care about a luxury car vs. a utility vehicle. But yeah the Suburban would never get stuck like that BMW.

As inexpensive as disk storage is these days I'm always surprised how poor the video quality is in these surveillance cameras. They should be capturing full 1080 HD. It would make it a lot easier to id the bad guys.

• Reply 6 of 76
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,896member

Just hilarious that he can't get the car out of the store.  He keeps getting snagged on either the front curtain wall or the security screen.  Plus the value of the merchandise stolen probably would not have covered the damage to his car.  And they aren't stealing boxed goods they are stealing display goods.  

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say drugs were a factor.

• Reply 7 of 76
    The Audi S8 would've been too easy to trace back to Jason Statham.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,896member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm sure the BMW was stolen so what do they care about a luxury car vs. a utility vehicle. As inexpensive as disk storage is these days I'm always surprised how poor the video quality is in these surveillance cameras. They should be capturing full 1080 HD. It would make it a lot easier to id the bad guys.

It's a cost factor.  The cost of HD cameras (good ones) is still way higher than SD.  It's not just storage, but the whole package.  But yes, if you want to actually identify someone you should spend the dollars to get HD.  

• Reply 9 of 76
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Love it - you can see the numberplate fall off at 3 secs.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    These were the Zune players of thieves.
  • Reply 11 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Love it - you can see the numberplate fall off at 3 secs.

Good thing CA requires front license plates, lol. If that was even the reason for the suspects return...

• Reply 12 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm sure the BMW was stolen so what do they care about a luxury car vs. a utility vehicle. But yeah the Suburban would never get stuck like that BMW.

As inexpensive as disk storage is these days I'm always surprised how poor the video quality is in these surveillance cameras. They should be capturing full 1080 HD. It would make it a lot easier to id the bad guys.

I don't think the car was stolen. The nut came back for the license plate. LOL 

"The suspect was apprehended by the Riverside Sheriff's Office when he returned to the scene of the crime in an apparent effort to retrieve the front license plate that came off his vehicle."

• Reply 13 of 76

They don't bother crashing into Microsoft Stores. 

• Reply 14 of 76
    This is how the Kardashians go shopping.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    That's Android's turn by turn directions for you! Straight into an Apple Store.
  • Reply 16 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They don't bother crashing into Microsoft Stores. 

Which was probably right across the street. LOL

Just for laughs.

• Reply 17 of 76
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Smash half the stuff you’re trying to steal, AND the car, which gets stuck in the store. Then steal the less-valuable, most-traceable items and leave the rest. Then mess around fixing the car and stealing Fix-a-flat in the same area you just trashed.

Step 3: Profit!

Ah, the importance of planning.

I wonder how many different stores they rammed into looking for Fix-a-flat.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Leaving his license plate at the scene of the crime is classic.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote: #1

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say drugs were a factor.

Quote: #2

Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post

I don't think the car was stolen. The nut came back for the license plate. LOL 

Ok then I'll take Quote: #1 for the right answer.

• Reply 20 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's Android's turn by turn directions for you! Straight into an Apple Store.

+1  or metro turn by turn