Apple seeds second OS X 10.8.2 build in three days, hints at imminent release

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Three days after Apple pushed out build 12C50 of OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion to developers, the company has seeded an updated version, possibly hinting that a public release is imminent.

Apple on Friday seeded build 12C53 of the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 beta to developers with no known issues, which follows the company's release of build 12C50 on Tuesday.

According to one person with access to the beta, Apple is asking developers to focus on the same areas as 12C50, which brought further Facebook integration, Power Nap support for late-2010 MacBook Airs and extended iMessage functionality.

Shared Photo Streams
Shared Photo Streams as seen on the new iPod touch

It appears the changes made to 10.8.2 in the new 12C53 build are related to iOS 6 integration, as developers were asked to accept new iCloud terms and agreements as well as to update iPhoto for full Photo Stream compatibility. At Apple's special event on Wednesday, it was announced that iOS 6 would introduce a new feature, aptly dubbed Shared Photo Streams, that allows Photo Stream users to share selected photos with friends.

Mountain Lion beta
Screenshot asking to update iPhoto after installation of OS X 10.8.2, build 12C53.

When released to the public, OS X 10.8.2 will be the second update to Mountain Lion since the operating system launched in July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Come on Apple!! Just shit that update out..!

• Reply 2 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Just hope that this revision prevents the Finder on my i7 iMac from just freezing, which happens on average daily. Wi-Fi is still very strange too. Also, after watching the keynote, FLASH had sucked up 8 GB of RAM. The keynote I thought didn't require FLASH at all but nothing would play once I killed the FLASH player (plugin).

• Reply 3 of 16

When I updated, and clicked to Update iPhoto or Aperture, the App Store says there are no updates available.

• Reply 4 of 16
    I don't intend to use the integrated Facebook features, but I've been keeping track of the battery life on my Air and it does seem slightly worse since switching to Mountain Lion. Still much, much less of an issue than that pesky wifi/wake from sleep bug from a while back.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    you know...I really like the look of the new iPod touches...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I guess the filesize of this seed hints to a release as well. It's much smaller, probably stripped of debug information.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

This version makes ML considerably more stable, fluid, and snappier in all areas of the OS.

Hell, the words 'Snow' and 'Leopard' even spring to mind when seeing how cleanly it logs in, shuts down, opens and closes programs, and swaps between them.

I'm impressed.

• Reply 8 of 16

It has shown "Upgrade to iPhoto or Aperture" for the last two builds.

This isn't new to c53

• Reply 9 of 16
    If this release has iOS 6 integration functions, then I would expect release to occur after ios 6 release and tests by beta users. So I would say release is not imminent; give it two weeks or a hair less.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Once this is released, if the general public consensus is that it's resolved the battery issues people have been having in 10.8 and 10.8.1, then I'll finally go ahead and upgrade from 10.7.4.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Any Mac developers around? It's frustrating to be in the sidelines, I have an iOS developer license but not a Mac developer license, and I would like to report an easily reproducible problem in Safari.

Test case:

[LIST=1]
    [*] Open Safari;
    [*] Go to Safari -> Preferences -> Privacy and make sure that "Block cookies" is set to either "Never" or "From third parties and advertisers", then close the preferences window (Esc);
    [*] Quit Safari (Command+Q);
    [*] Delete (or move) your ~/Library/Safari and ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari directories;
    [*] Open Safari;
    [*] Go to Safari -> Private Browsing and press "OK" when prompted;
    [*] Enter http://www.reddit.com/ in the address field;
    [*] Once at the site, login to it and check the "remember me" box;
    [*] Once logged in, quit Safari (Command+Q);
    [*] Open Safari;
    [*] Enter http://www.reddit.com/ in the address field (you should be logged out at this point because you logged in during Private Browsing);
    [*] Go to Safari -> Private Browsing and press "OK" when prompted;
    [*] Press Command+R to refresh reddit (at this point, Safari remembers your previous Private Browsing session and you are logged back in -- this shouldn't happen);
    [*] Go to Safari -> Reset Safari, mark all the checkboxes and press "Reset";
    [*] Enter http://www.reddit.com/ in the address field (Safari continues to remember the Private Browsing session when you logged in -- this shouldn't happen, especially after the reset);
    [*] Return to step 3 and repeat everything up to this step again (you will notice that even wiping the directories doesn't reset the Private Browsing session -- this shouldn't happen).
    [/LIST]

This is happening on Safari 6.0 in OS X 10.8.1 on a late-2011 high-end 15" MacBook Pro. Wonder if I'm the only one having issues (it could be a permission issue somewhere in the filesystem) or this is a real bug. If this is a real bug, then Private Browsing is less private than regular browsing since there's no clear way to wipe locally stored data.

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    you know...I really like the look of the new iPod touches...

Me too- I like them a lot and everything about them- I don't even mind the A5. I'd buy one- of it was $100 less. $299 is insane.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I wonder if Mountain Lion Server is due an update. No sign of a developer update as of yet.
  • Reply 14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This version makes ML considerably more stable, fluid, and snappier in all areas of the OS.

Hell, the words 'Snow' and 'Leopard' even spring to mind when seeing how cleanly it logs in, shuts down, opens and closes programs, and swaps between them.

I'm impressed.

The only snappiness issue I'm really having is occasional and significant lagging in iTunes.  Sometimes I will click on it and it beach balls for about a minute before it lets me do anything.  Admittedly between music, TV shows and Movies I have around half a terabyte of data in iTunes, but I had that much 2 or 3 weeks ago and I wasn't having the problem.  It still does it after the recent update to iTunes.  Hopefully the new version of iTunes that we have coming down the pipes will handle large library users better

• Reply 15 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    ssquirrel wrote: »
    The only snappiness issue I'm really having is occasional and significant lagging in iTunes.  Sometimes I will click on it and it beach balls for about a minute before it lets me do anything.  Admittedly between music, TV shows and Movies I have around half a terabyte of data in iTunes, but I had that much 2 or 3 weeks ago and I wasn't having the problem.  It still does it after the recent update to iTunes.  Hopefully the new version of iTunes that we have coming down the pipes will handle large library users better

Not good.

I feel for you.

Sounds like an issue that owners of large iPhoto libraries had a while back.

Submit that feedback!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Does it fix the Javascript issue introduced with Mountain Lion whereby webcam feeds will freeze after a few seconds?