iPhone 5 arrival dates improve for some Apple customers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Some early iPhone 5 orders may ship sooner than was originally advertised, based on an e-mail sent out by Apple.

One AppleInsider reader received a note from Apple letting them know that their iPhone 5 will arrive sooner than expected. When the order was originally placed Friday morning, this person was quoted an arrival date of two weeks.

"We have some good news concerning your recent iPhone 5 purchase," the e-mail from the Apple Store reads. We expect it to be delivered to you on the first day of iPhone 5 availability ??Friday, September 21. The delivery date we previously sent you was not accurate."

Order

Just over an hour after preorders of the iPhone 5 began early Friday morning, Apple's online store began quoting customers an estimated shipping time of two weeks. Apple responded and said officials were "completely blown away" by demand for the iPhone 5.

As of Saturday afternoon, Apple's online store indicates that all iPhone 5 models are available to ship in two to three weeks. The device will become publicly available next Friday, Sept. 21.

Apple's carrier partners are also selling the iPhone 5 at launch, but AT&T and Verizon completely sold out of their launch-day inventory on Friday as well.

Those who missed out on preordering an iPhone 5 for launch can still attempt to buy Apple's latest handset at a brick-and-mortar store for Friday's launch. Apple's own retail stores will begin selling the iPhone 5 at 8 a.m. local time, while carriers and retail partners such as Walmart, Radio Shack and Best Buy will have inventory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Choose one:

1. What's wrong with Apple? Can't they even get a date right?

2. Apple was lying about availability.

3. Must be that they got so many orders cancelled that they have more stock available.

4. They only want people to THINK they're in demand, but they're really not.

5. Who wants an iPhone 5, anyway? They're only a minor spec bump.
  • Reply 2 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Choose one:

1. What's wrong with Apple? Can't they even get a date right?

2. Apple was lying about availability.

3. Must be that they got so many orders cancelled that they have more stock available.

4. They only want people to THINK they're in demand, but they're really not.

5. Who wants an iPhone 5, anyway? They're only a minor spec bump.

6. A class action should be initiated for incorrect information to the consumer

7. I told you, Apple is doomed

8. Apple stock will accordingly drop

• Reply 3 of 97
    Target still has preorders available for pickup on the 21st.
  • Reply 4 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Hopefully people with many positive posts over many years about Apple on AI get preferential treatment and get deliveries way ahead of other people.
  • Reply 5 of 97
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    jragosta wrote: »

thanks to an at&t screwup, my order got cancelled and i got shoved to the back of the line. i had ordered phones for two lines on my family plan and one of the orders was cancelled this morning. i was told by the apple support rep that at&t was having issues with upgrades to multiple lines on the same account. randall stephenson should hand deliver that phone to me on friday morning.
  • Reply 6 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hopefully people with many positive posts over many years about Apple on AI get preferential treatment and get deliveries way ahead of other people.

Yeah... and a 50% discount too  :)   LOL!

• Reply 7 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

thanks to an at&t screwup, my order got cancelled and i got shoved to the back of the line. i had ordered phones for two lines on my family plan and one of the orders was cancelled this morning. i was told by the apple support rep that at&t was having issues with upgrades to multiple lines on the same account. randall stephenson should hand deliver that phone to me on friday morning.

I ordered 3 iPhones:  a 4S and 2 5s on our ATT family plan.  The last order was placed at 3:01 PST (I fell asleep).  

The 4S has shipped from Pennsylvania to arrive on the 21st.  The 2 5s show "Processing"  "Available to ship:  2 weeks  Delivers  Oct 5 via Standard Shipping"

You might try calling ATT and explain the situation -- they might offer an in-store pickup at an earlier date.

I hate the "pass-the-buck" ordering process  through the Apple Online Store -- and was fully prepared to buy unlocked iP5s... so, of course they didn't offer unlocked iP5s at this time.

• Reply 8 of 97
    Baring any goofs, I should have my 64GB Black Thursday night, if the past holds true. 2008 and 2010 they were delivered the day before. I had no problem ordering on the iPhone app for the Apple store. Order was started at 1159 and completed by 0000.
  • Reply 9 of 97

maybe Tallest Skil tried to order an iPhone 6 which Apple recognized later and canceled it so that changed to the earlier shipping date for another customer :)

• Reply 10 of 97

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

maybe Tallest Skil tried to order an iPhone 6 which Apple recognized later and canceled it so that changed to the earlier shipping date for another customer :)

I want to laugh at the joke here, but I'm having trouble understanding it. image

• Reply 11 of 97
    If anyone here has a date that was changed to the 21st from a later date would you please post the time you ordered? I'm curious to see if we can establish a feasible cut off point. I tried to order at 5am PT and was told the 28th.
  • Reply 12 of 97
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If anyone here has a date that was changed to the 21st from a later date would you please post the time you ordered? I'm curious to see if we can establish a feasible cut off point. I tried to order at 5am PT and was told the 28th.

I'm still at the 28th and ordered it at 4:15am PT

64gb/ white/ AT&T
  • Reply 13 of 97

OFF:

why does the Report button appear on my own post?

• Reply 14 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Yeah... and a 50% discount too  :)   LOL!

Agreed.

BTW ... Plato said 'dumber'?
  • Reply 15 of 97

I had the same issue. Ordered at 12:00. So happy... Until today, I received the same email as you. A long unhelpful conversation with an AT&T rep later, I replied to the email with the "new" order number. Hopefully that puts me back to the front of the line.

• Reply 16 of 97
    Ugh. I'm "two weeks/Oct. 5" and ordered at 7:20 PST, 10:20 EST. I hate you guys. Still hoping it'll ship before then, but not expecting launch day.

16GB white, AT&T
  • Reply 17 of 97
    Can you provide some more detail about your order? Color of phone, carrier, size of phone, one article said that DC still having availability late Friday morning, and when you ordered. I think that would account for most of the variables that exist for the iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 97

Quote:

OFF:

Its the internet equivalent of self-flagellation.  Sometimes you just need to punish yourself.  Just click it and report yourself - "sometimes I'm a real ass!"  Wow, I feel so much better now!

• Reply 19 of 97

I ordered mine today at a Verizon store. Will have it one OCT 5th. w00t...

I also got a $30 discount for being a long time customer. Before anyone starts dissing Verizon, it's the only carrier that has good coverage in Nebraska.

• Reply 20 of 97

Quote:

OFF:

You are allowed to ban yourself... it's a feature, not a bug.