Rumor: Pegatron to build 50-60% of 'iPad mini' orders, breaks Foxconn's iPad monopoly

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A report on Monday claims Chinese firm Pegatron has managed to secure 50 to 60 percent of orders to assemble the as-yet-unannounced "iPad mini," effectively ending Foxconn's reign as Apple's sole iPad manufacturer.

Taiwan's Economic Daily News cites two local securities firms (via Engadget) that say Pegatron has already begun mass production of the rumored smaller 7.85-inch iPad ahead of a possible October debut. Previously, Apple's major production partner Foxconn handled all iPad manufacturing as well as the bulk of the Cupertino, Calif., company's computer and iDevice offerings.

Apple is thought to be diversifying its supply chain to better meet increasing demand for its hot-selling iDevices, including individual component manufacturers like Samsung, which was reportedly dropped as a memory supplier for the initial batch of iPhone 5s.

The publication also claims Pegatron will be included as an iPhone 5 manufacturer in the fourth quarter to build some of the 53 million units expected to ship this year.

iPad mini Mockup
Mockup of alleged "iPad mini" alongside the New iPad and iPhone 4S. | Source: iMore

According to supposed parts leaks, the upcoming 7.85-inch tablet is thought to resemble the last-generation iPod touch, and will be thinner and lighter than Apple's 9.7-inch iPad. Most recently, images of the purported device's housing surfaced, lending credence to speculation surrounding unit's design.

As part of one of its biggest launch seasons ever, Apple is expected to announce the so-called "iPad mini" at a special event in October, about one month after the recent iPhone 5 debut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    Uh-huh... I'll believe it when it's real.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    Thought Pegatron is a Taiwanese firm.
  • Reply 3 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Tsai View Post

Thought Pegatron is a Taiwanese firm.

Yes, but these days, that just means they outsourced all of their manufacturing to mainland China.

• Reply 4 of 82
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Hope the mini comes to help diversified Apple income. With the iphone selling 50+ millions units in fiscal Q1, the dependance on the iphone is only going to get worst.

You guys think we will get a time capsuled refresh? Waiting on that to change my netdrive.
  • Reply 5 of 82

Even if the iPad mini is real, it's going to start at what, $399?  They might as well cancel it now and save themselves the embarrassment.

• Reply 6 of 82
    macvicta wrote: »
    Even if the iPad mini is real, it's going to start at what, $399?  They might as well cancel it now and save themselves the embarrassment.

Imo the mini is going to be low tech, with ipad2 resolution and a5 chip I expect them to price it the same has the new ipod touch at 299 or even 249. They will find a way to lower the cost.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Hope the mini comes to help diversified Apple income. With the iphone 5 selling 50+ millions units in fiscal Q1, the dependance on the iphone is only going to get worst.

Apple may sell 50 mio iPhones but not 50 mio iPhone 5.

This FY Q1 they sold 37 mio iPhones and "only" 22 mio were iPhone 4S.

• Reply 8 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Apple may sell 50 mio iPhones but not 50 mio iPhone 5.

This FY Q1 they sold 37 mio iPhones and "only" 22 mio were iPhone 4S.

indeed. corrected

• Reply 9 of 82

Quote:

Imo the mini is going to be low tech, with ipad2 resolution and a5 chip I expect them to price it the same has the new ipod touch at 299 or even 249. They will find a way to lower the cost.

What way would that be?  Leave out the cameras?  Give us the shittiest screen they can get their hands on?  That isn't the Apple we know.

I just find it incredibly hard to believe that the iPad mini and iPod touch 5G would both start at $299.

• Reply 10 of 82

Quote:

Funny you say "low tech" and then claim specs that match the new iPod Touch which was priced at $299 and only has a 4 inch screen mind you.

I'm surprised the rumor mill is still purporting the Mini real when all we've seen are "mockups" and not ACTUAL leaks.

• Reply 11 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Quote:

What way would that be?  Leave out the cameras?  Give us the shittiest screen they can get their hands on?  That isn't the Apple we know.

I just find it incredibly hard to believe that the iPad mini and iPod touch 5G would both start at $299.

Exactly.

Only way the price is going to be lower than the new Touch is if there is an "entry level" Mini with an A4 chip, 8GB of storage, and last gen iPod Touch cameras.

The 4th gen Touch with those specs and still cost $199, so I think a Mini with those specs might get a priced of $249 or $299. Mind you those specs would put it far behind the competition...

• Reply 12 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Funny you say "low tech" and then claim specs that match the new iPod Touch which was priced at $299 and only has a 4 inch screen mind you.

I'm surprised the rumor mill is still purporting the Mini real when all we've seen are "mockups" and not ACTUAL leaks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Exactly.

Only way the price is going to be lower than the new Touch is if there is an "entry level" Mini with an Achip, 8GB of storage, and last gen iPod Touch cameras.

The 4th gen Touch with those specs and still cost $199, so I think a Mini with those specs might get a priced of $249 or $299. Mind you those specs would put it far behind the competition...

The $299 touch has 32g and a 326 dpi retina display.  The mini could have 16g and the mini display would be bigger, but with less pixel density which means lower cost of production.  They could also used lower clock A5 that were rejected at there normal clock speed. They already used the A5 with a disable core in the Apple TV.  $299 with decent specs and a quality product is very doable. Unless you guys think Google is pulling out a miracle with the $199 nexus 7 I don't see how Apple would be unable to make a 299$ tablet...

• Reply 13 of 82

Quote:

The $299 touch has 32g and a 326 dpi retina display.  The mini could have 16g and the mini display would be bigger, but with less pixel density which means lower cost of production.  They could also used lower clock A5 that were rejected at there normal clock speed. They already used the A5 with a disable core in the Apple TV.  $299 with decent specs and a quality product is very doable.

Who wants an iPad mini with a low quality screen and hobbled A5 processor?  And what is the point of Apple releasing such a product in the first place?  Apple does premium, high quality goods and Tim Cook has effectively told the world that they can't make a premium, high quality tablet for $299.

• Reply 14 of 82

Quote:

Who wants an iPad mini with a low quality screen and hobbled A5 processor?  

People who cant afford a 500$ tablet but still want to get into the Apple ecosystem...   To parents that want a cheaper tablet for there kids.  To people who wants something more portable.

That thing is going to sell like hotcakes, especially just before Christmas

• Reply 15 of 82
    herbapou wrote: »

The $299 touch has 32g and a 326 dpi retina display.  The mini could have 16g and the mini display would be bigger, but with less pixel density which means lower cost of production.  They could also used lower clock A5 that were rejected at there normal clock speed. They already used the A5 with a disable core in the Apple TV.  $299 with decent specs and a quality product is very doable. Unless you guys think Google is pulling out a miracle with the $199 nexus 7 I don't see how Apple would be unable to make a 299$ tablet...

Sounds like a crippled device.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    herbapou wrote: »
    People who cant afford a 500$ tablet but still want to get into the Apple ecosystem...   To parents that want a cheaper tablet for there kids.  To people who wants something more portable.

That thing is going to sell like hotcakes, especially just before Christmas

They're not gonna have money for said ecosystem neither.
  • Reply 17 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Sounds like a crippled device.

Its kind of the point. You want it to be a good product but not high end so it doesn't cannibalize the premium product, which is the current ipad.

• Reply 18 of 82

Quote:

The fact isnt't that Apple is "unable to make a $299 tablet."

Apple is able to do anything. Its more of a question if they would build a unique brand new product and price it far lower than all their other products.

Google doesn't make a profit on the Nexus 7's hardware at all, Apple on the hand being a hardware company needs to make a profit on their products.

But it's possible for Apple to make a decently affordable Mini with low specs perform well enough. But don't expect the spec sheet to come anywhere close to that of the Nexus.

Like I said above think A4, 8GB storage, VGA front cam etc for about $249. They might make a better model, but it'll still probably only be A5, 16GB storage for $349. Does that sound like an appealing tablet to you?

• Reply 19 of 82

Quote:

People who cant afford a 500$ tablet but still want to get into the Apple ecosystem...  

Or Apple could drop the price of the iPad 2 to $299 when the iPad 4 comes out next spring...

• Reply 20 of 82
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Which would still be better specs than the 1st generation iPad that I still use every day! :)