Apple A6 SoC outperforms Intel Atom in JavaScript test

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A test of the iPhone 5's new A6 processor yielded a surprisingly quick score on SunSpider's JavaScript benchmarking tool, with the system on chip topping even the Medfield Atom Z2460.

While not an official test, AnandTech was able to run SunSpider v0.9.1 on an iPhone 5 review sample on Wednesday, and watched as the dual-core A6 chip chewed through the benchmark in 914.7 milliseconds, outpacing the second place Lava XOLO X900's time of 1279.4 milliseconds. The Lava XOLO runs a single-core Intel Atom Z2460 Penwell SoC built on the chip maker's Medfield platform.

width=
Source: AnandTech

As noted by the publication, SunSpider is slowly becoming outdated as a smartphone benchmark, however it highlights issues pertaining to ARM's Cortex A9 memory interface.

"Intel originally hinted at issues in the A9's memory interface as being why Atom was able to so easily outperform other ARM based SoCs in SunSpider," reports Anand Shimpi.

In a Monday report, online benchmarking site Geekbench reportedly logged an iPhone 5's performance data, outing the specifications of the handset's A6 chip. At the time, it was thought that Apple made dramatic improvements to the standard ARM core's memory interface as the Geekbench data suggested a drastic improvement from previous Cortex A9 chips.

Although it hasn't yet been confirmed, the A6 chip is reportedly Apple's first attempt at designing an ARM core in-house.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    "At the time, it was thought that Apple made dramatic improvements to the standard ARM core's memory interface as the Geekbench data suggested a drastic improvement from previous Cortex A9 chips."

"At the time..." that was then... so what do they think now?
  • Reply 2 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

"At the time, it was thought that Apple made dramatic improvements to the standard ARM core's memory interface as the Geekbench data suggested a drastic improvement from previous Cortex A9 chips."

"At the time..." that was then... so what do they think now?

They think it's apple's own in-house arm design now, and not based off of the cortex a9 or a15, but it's not confirmed.

• Reply 3 of 26
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

They should have added both 4S iOS 5 and 4S iOS 6 results as any speed increase in sunspider cannot be attributed to the SoC alone.

• Reply 4 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

outpacing the second place Lava XOLO X900's time of 1279.4 milliseconds. The Lava XOLO runs a single-core Intel Atom Z2460 Penwell SoC built on the chip maker's Medfield platform.

So as per the previous discussion with Geekbench, the single core Atom actually does quite well compared to the dual core A6.

My own opinion is that Ghz and core count is irrelevant, performance / Watt is the only relevant number for these kinds of devices and the iPhone5 is a winner in that regard.

• Reply 5 of 26
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

So as per the previous discussion with Geekbench, the single core Atom actually does quite well compared to the dual core A6.

In difference to Geekbench Sunspider does only utilize 1 Core.

• Reply 6 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

How can you force the use of 1 cpu core from javascript ? You cannot as javascript has no notion of cpu cores or affinity.

I know most javascript engines use only 1 core (although IE uses multithreading for compiling and running) but in speculation maybe the biggest change with ios6 is the new javascript engine in mobile safari which uses both cores.

That's why the performance with a 4S with ios 6 is relevant. Googling found a few results which show the 4S went from 2200 to 1800 with ios6, so 18% improvement is due to ios6, So iPhone5 with ios5 (not correct to extrapolate this but still) would probably have scored 1165 in sunspider. Still good.

• Reply 7 of 26

Quote:

Can you then explain why 4-core international S3 is significantly faster than US (AT&T) version with 2-cores ?

• Reply 8 of 26
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

So how does that explain the variation in the Galaxy S III scores, between quad core with  1GB of RAM, dual core with 2GB RAM, etc?

• Reply 9 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how does that explain the variation in the Galaxy S III scores, between quad core with  1GB of RAM, dual core with 2GB RAM, etc?

As a general point, people often state multi cores are not handy because each process is single-threaded and most mobile apps do not employ multithreading. However, with multiple cores processes can be run on different cores. So a single core javascript benchmark can run on one, and for instance whatsapp and other multitasking processes can run on other cores. So with multiple cores and single-threaded apps you will see better performance because the processes do not (or less) hinder eachother.

Wether this explains the large differences.... I know android took a big leap in sunspider scores when the chrome browser arrived to take the place of the stock android browser. Also large differences have been seen in 3.x,4.0.x en 4.1.x. As Anandtech does not state this information it's hard to tell what's going on here.

• Reply 10 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ha and some people on MR are claiming Apple purposely downplayed this in the keynote so it would look more impressive when it came out. I suppose these are the same people who claimed Apple constrained supply in order to increase demand. :lol:
  • Reply 11 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I bet there is a team inside Apple working on a future version of OS X that runs on their own in house technology too. Maybe a future Mac will have an 'option' of an additional Intel chip for those that want to run Windows in a VM.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Jeez. That Nokia Lumia 900 is a snail. I sure hope the Lumia 920 does a lot better.
  • Reply 13 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Jeez. That Nokia Lumia 900 is a snail. I sure hope the Lumia 920 does a lot better.

Absolutely, the new Lumia 920 has the Qualcomm S4, and the new wp8 ie10 browser, so should do a lot better (I hope for them ;)

• Reply 14 of 26
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ha and some people on MR are claiming Apple purposely downplayed this in the keynote so it would look more impressive when it came out. I suppose these are the same people who claimed Apple constrained supply in order to increase demand. :lol:

LOL

The truth is I suspect that it was more a case of the Jobsian 'keep it simple stupid' philosophy in action. Apple long ago decided talking too technically is a bad way to go.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    A sure sign it is time to upgrade your laptop? When your phone beats it in benchmarks...
  • Reply 16 of 26
    shen wrote: »
    A sure sign it is time to upgrade your laptop? When your phone beats it in benchmarks...

LOL, I bet a few cheepo PC owners must be thinking that.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    mausz wrote: »
    They should have added both 4S iOS 5 and 4S iOS 6 results as any speed increase in sunspider cannot be attributed to the SoC alone.
    iOS 6 on 4S tested at 1,8xx so the A6 is still twice as fast.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Can you then explain why 4-core international S3 is significantly faster than US (AT&T) version with 2-cores ?

As was explained above, SunSpider is not the only process running. The more cores you have OTHER processes can be spread around freeing up CPU time for SunSpider to run. We also don't know what other processes are running on AT&T's phones. Just look at T-Mobile. Why is their S3 faster? 

If the test was multi-core aware, then theoretically having twice as many cores would cut the time in half, or at least approach it. 

Another factor could be the clock speed. Maybe the international S3 is clocked higher than the US model?

• Reply 19 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

As was explained above, SunSpider is not the only process running. The more cores you have OTHER processes can be spread around freeing up CPU time for SunSpider to run. We also don't know what other processes are running on AT&T's phones. Just look at T-Mobile. Why is their S3 faster? 

If the test was multi-core aware, then theoretically having twice as many cores would cut the time in half, or at least approach it.

Another factor could be the clock speed. Maybe the international S3 is clocked higher than the US model?

I doubt that Anand did not take care of eliminating influences of "other" apps while running these tests. As for the frequencies, I believe they both have 1.4GHz.

Seems like browser tests are utilizing multi-cores somehow but they are not type of scalable linearly. 

• Reply 20 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

And just to add another factor. I've read reports which have suggested newer ARM cores could employ turbo modes just like Intel desktop processors. So when a benchmark runs and only stresses one core, this core gets 'overclocked' as long as its within the thermal evelope.

This is one of the issues I have with some benchmarks. Sometimes a SoC uses more power while stressed but it's doing the work faster as well so in practice it would use more power but for a shorter amount of time. The net effect should be looked at.