Samsung plans to add Apple's iPhone 5 to US patent infringement suit

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung has indicated they are likely to add Apple's new iPhone 5 to the list of devices involved in a patent infringement suit between the two companies.

The iPhone 5 is now likely to be included in the trial, which is set to begin in U.S. court in 2014, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday. In a filing from Samsung in U.S. federal court in San Jose, Calif., the South Korean electronics maker said it "anticipates" it will accuse the iPhone 5 of infringing on the same patents it previously lodged against the iPhone 4S.

The filing notes that Samsung still needs to examine the iPhone 5 before it can make a determination. Apple's latest smartphone launches in 9 markets on Friday, with 22 more to follow next week.

Samsung said changes to the lawsuit adding the iPhone 5 into the mix will likely come "as soon as it has had a reasonable opportunity to analyze the device."

iPhone 5

The statement from Samsung comes less than a month after Apple added its rival's latest flagship device, the Galaxy S III, to its own complaint. The case is not to be confused with the Apple v. Samsung suit that was decided in favor of Apple by a jury in late August.

In the still-active case headed for a 2014 trial, Samsung has accused Apple of violating eight patents. Apple, meanwhile, has also accused Samsung of violating eight of its own patents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Wow... what a shock!
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Were are all the Fandroids screaming that samsung is stifling innovation, and just resting on their stuff while suing everyone else. I mean that is the arguments they made when Apple won *most of the charges in the recent case. Everyone seems to think Apple sues everyone, but Apple is one of (if not) the most sued companies out there.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    2014? They would be adding iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 by then? lol.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

" Samsung said changes to the lawsuit adding the iPhone 5 into the mix will likely come "as soon as it has had a reasonable opportunity to analyze the device. "

Is analyzing the device Samsung-speak for appropriating features?

• Reply 5 of 54
    "Samsung said changes to the lawsuit adding the iPhone 5 into the mix will likely come "as soon as it has had a reasonable opportunity to analyze the device.""

So they can begin reverse engineering it for their next product release in 6 months
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Samsung, hello? Are you there? I can see you read this... would [I]you[/I] please back the [B]fuçk[/B] off?!

[I]ps: tallest skill, will u please edit this in proper English grammar? I'm suck with this lol.. thanks![/I]
  • Reply 7 of 54
    maestro64 wrote: »
    "Samsung said changes to the lawsuit adding the iPhone 5 into the mix will likely come "as soon as it has had a reasonable opportunity to analyze the device.""
    So they can begin reverse engineering it for their next product release in 6 months

Why would they have to reverse engineer the iPhone 5 since it's not much different from it's predecessors? /s
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Samsung...needs a beating.
  • Reply 9 of 54

Not surprised about this at all. 

Won't be surprised when they add the iphone 5. 

Nor when Apple moves to have the whole thing dismissed because the patents are SEP and they tried to license them and have proof of their attempts but Samsung refused, the patents were exhausted via deals with the chip makers or some other game. 

• Reply 10 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Did they have to file that yesterday? Did they mention some kind of deadline?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member

By 2014 we will have a newer iPhone.

• Reply 12 of 54
    It's okay, Apple is now slowly removing Samsung from its supply chain (apparently they crossed whatever line Apple had...finally), so they are loosing their biggest outside customer (which will have a sizable impact on future earnings / growth) and have lost in court in a big way - but loosing face is not allowed so they'll go to the end declaring victory and acting as if they are in a position of strength.
  • Reply 13 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

It's okay, Apple is now slowly removing Samsung from its supply chain (apparently they crossed whatever line Apple had...finally), so they are loosing their biggest outside customer (which will have a sizable impact on future earnings / growth) and have lost in court in a big way - but loosing face is not allowed so they'll go to the end declaring victory and acting as if they are in a position of strength.

Well, that must be why Apple's share of Samsung's annual sales is going up significantly from $7B in 2011 to $12B in 2012.  Yeah, because Apple is slowly removing Samsung from its supply chain.

• Reply 14 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

By 2014 we will have a newer iPhone.

so?  Well, the point here isn't that Samsung wants to ban Apple products. Their goal is to either force Apple to cross-license or drop the on-going lawsuits altogether.  It's a defensive move.

• Reply 15 of 54

Now Samsung's tactics : yes we tear down and analyze Apple products, but this is just to get evidence that they are infringing our patents ...

• Reply 16 of 54

When does Apple sue these guys?

Oppo Unveils World's First 1080p Smartphone

• Reply 17 of 54

Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

Samsung...needs a beating.

Since $3,000,000,000 doesn't seem to have gotten it through their skulls, how does $30,000,000,000 sound?

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Well, the point here isn't that Samsung wants to ban Apple products. Their goal is to either force Apple to cross-license or drop the on-going lawsuits altogether.  It's a defensive move.

Ah, I see. And Apple does. Because competition. And Innovate, Don't Litigate. Defense. Samsung is the underdog. Apple is the bad guy.

Shut up.

• Reply 18 of 54
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

I love this quote from Reuters .....(Samsung said in a separate statement on Thursday: "Apple continues to take aggressive legal measures that will limit market competition.) ..... As opposed to what Sammy, the type of illegal moves you make. What a joke of a company ... I have lost all respect for the management of that company.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/20/samsung-apple-idUSL4E8KK4DL20120920

• Reply 19 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

When does Apple sue these guys?

Oppo Unveils World's First 1080p Smartphone

Oh my. it looks like Braun T3 Radio.  It's difficult to tell them apart. 

• Reply 20 of 54

Samsung is just another sore losing Company! Their Phones Suck, Their TV's Suck, ect. Nothing Samsung has ever offered has been as successful even as Apple's worst device! Samsung needs to stick to something simple like offering Toaster Ovens!!