Video, pictures from iPhone 5 launch at Apple's Fifth Ave store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A throng of people gathered outside Apple's iconic glass cube storefront on Fifth Avenue on Friday for the launch of the iPhone 5 in New York City.

AppleInsider reader Ryan was on-hand for Friday's festivities and excitement for the iPhone 5 launch, and provided the videos and pictures included below. The iPhone 5 is already off to a record breaking start with more than 2 million preorders sold in the first 24 hours of availability.

Friday's crowd gathered at Apple's flagship store on Fifth Avenue was said to be the largest yet for an iPhone launch. Hundreds of people stayed overnight in front of the store to be among the first to get their hands on Apple's next-generation handset.

Fifth

Fifth

Fifth

Fifth

The customer in the green shirt was the first to come out of the Fifth Avenue store with his new iPhone 5.

Fifth

Fifth

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41

I believe that this is too much and doesn't make sense. i despise this kind of people. why not pre-order? why waiting for days for a phone? what about school, work or family?

• Reply 2 of 41
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    About 300 people this morning at the montreal downtown store. Not bad but less than the ipad launch.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to MacRumors there is a scuffing issue with the black iPhone. If it becomes widespread I hope Apple gets on it right away. With the maps issue the last thing they need is users complaining and/or returning phones because they're scuffed.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Sheep. [SIZE=4]????[/SIZE]
  • Reply 5 of 41
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I believe that this is too much and doesn't make sense. i despise this kind of people. why not pre-order? why waiting for days for a phone? what about school, work or family?

And why must this bother you?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    If all those Apple folks in their 'blue' shirts are outside welcoming people into the store, who's inside minding the store?
  • Reply 7 of 41

More Apple folks in blue. Duh?

• Reply 8 of 41
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

I did this once for the experience of it. Not a fun time in the Texas heat. Arrived a few hours before the store opened and was still about the 200th in line. Will never do that again.

Just pre-ordered mine. It should be here this morning (out for delivery).

• Reply 9 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Seriously, it's not a big deal.  It's just like going to a concert, football game, etc.  Half the fun is hanging out with the crowd and being part of an event.  I can play a band's CD any time I want, but a concert is an experience of sharing music with people of the same interest.  Football is on TV every Sunday, and personally I think watching the game at home is just fine, but when going to a live game, the excitement, the crowd and cheering, it's a great time.  Standing in line for a product that you could pre-order and get in a couple weeks isn't logical, but it's something to share with people who have a common interest in you.

I stood in line for 7 hours for the iPad 2.  I had a lot of fun and met a lot of really nice people, complete strangers, but we all had something in common and therefore made good conversation.

Enjoy life...you only live once.

• Reply 10 of 41
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Look like Samsung's commercials are working really well. :-)

Say what you will about Apple fanboys, Samsung would kill for this kind of press and excitement.

• Reply 11 of 41
    satchmo wrote: »
    Look like Samsung's commercials are working really well. :-)
    Say what you will about Apple fanboys, Samsung would kill for this kind of press and excitement.

That's not saying much, every company would kill for it.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

But not every company has gone after Apple mocking their users. 

• Reply 13 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

According to MacRumors there is a scuffing issue with the black iPhone. If it becomes widespread I hope Apple gets on it right away. With the maps issue the last thing they need is users complaining and/or returning phones because they're scuffed.

Scuffing issue? The guy went at it with his keys like he was playing a scratch off.  I bet if you take a hammer to the front the glass will crack too

• Reply 14 of 41
    Scuffing issue? The guy went at it with his keys like he was playing a scratch off.  I bet if you take a hammer to the front the glass will crack too
    Some folks on MR are complaining of scuffs right out of the box with the black model. Hopefully is not widespread and it's something that can be easily fixed.
  • Reply 15 of 41

Quote:

Seriously?  You're sitting around on an internet message board spewing hate toward people you don't know, but you're criticizing them for not being involved in productive activities?

Why aren't YOU working or spending time with your family?

• Reply 16 of 41
    rogifan wrote: »
    Some folks on MR are complaining of scuffs right out of the box with the black model. Hopefully is not widespread and it's something that can be easily fixed.

1) Day zero and we already have scuff gate forming?

2) They took sharp objects and scratched the hell out of it, that isn't how I'd define a scuff.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Day zero and we already have scuff gate forming?
    2) They took sharp objects and scratched the hell out of it, that isn't how I'd define a scuff.

Some people are noticing things right out of the box. They're not taking coins or keys and scratching the phone. This leads me to believe there might be a production issue with the first batch of black phones. Those with white phones don't appear to have any issues.

Here's an example:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445493&page=59

photo.JPG

With some of these photos it's difficult to tell because people are photographing them right out of the box and not wiping off the dust particles first.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

who cares what they do with their time. It's not wasting yours.

• Reply 19 of 41

Had a preorder at Bestbuy, but they emailed me that my order (placed early on day one), would not be available and could be as long as 28days or more before they could fulfill my order.  Decided to take my chances on the ATT store in Plano (Dallas burb) and at 8am there were only about 30 people in line.  Line moved fairly rapidly as I was out of the store by 8:30.  According to the ATT saleman, they had PLENTY of stock.  Dropped by Bestbuy and cancelled my preorder.  At least they did refund my $50 preorder gift card.  

• Reply 20 of 41
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

As much as I am a huge Apple fan I must say I completely agree.  I thought it was cool when the iPhone was first announced and this happened, but then that was literally a historic occasion. Every time it's happened since then I just shake my head.  

I wouldn't be caught dead in an iPhone line-up. I would find it shameful almost to be standing there like a first world idiot while life passes me by on the sidewalk.  Especially in New York.  It would be a constant reminder that every single person walking past you has somewhere to go and thus, more of a life than you have.  

It's not just the wait time either, it's the privation.  What kind of fool would sit on a sidewalk for three days peeing into a bottle or using some gross porta-potty, eating crap food from local food trucks and fast food joints, etc.?  I think one might have to spend the next three days in a hospital or health spa just to recover from all the bad food and lack of sleep.  Is your life really that dull that this is the only thing you have to do with your time?