YouTube will serve content to legacy iOS app indefinitely

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google's YouTube announced on Friday that it will continue to feed content to its legacy iOS app for iDevices running iOS 5 and below, allaying fears that the service would be shut off to push users toward the new standalone app.

YouTube
Source: YouTube

A YouTube spokesperson told CNET the old iOS app will continue to function indefinitely on older devices not yet upgraded to iOS 6, however iPhone 5 owners will need to download the standalone version as YouTube is no longer bundled with the new OS.

While both Apple and Google refuse to discuss the details of its YouTube partnership, it is likely that ongoing support was part of the original arrangement.

Some speculated that YouTube would drop support for the old iOS app due to Apple's mandated ad-free environment for first-party software, which limited the amount of available content as the video sharing company has recently been pushing for ad-supported videos as a means to generate additional revenue. For this reason, the new standalone YouTube app offers a wider variety of shows and the ability to subscribe to ad-supported "channels."

With sales of the new iPhone 5 expected to break records and a reportedly strong iOS 6 adoption rate, YouTube's app will likely see a flood of downloads from veteran iOS users who have become familiar with having access to the video sharing site via a dedicated app.

The ad-friendly YouTube app has been the number one most downloaded free app in the iOS App Store since its debut in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25

Good. No ads for me, then.

• Reply 2 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Youtube will serve content to legacy iOS app indefinitely?

Maybe so, but one thing has been made clear:

...and never the twain shall be involved in an unboxing together again.

• Reply 3 of 25
    So how about the legacy Maps app that relies on Google Maps? Will they keep data alive for that as well?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    The Google YouTube app is better anyway. A little different, but better.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Eventually it won't matter which YouTube app you use, since they've stopped automatically transcoding videos to standard H.264 in favor of their proprietary WebM.

• Reply 6 of 25
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

The interesting thing is that if you capture a video on an iPhone, share to YouTube is still one of the only options available.

• Reply 7 of 25
    Article fails to point out that there is no youtube app for iPad available yet - only the iPhone version!

I'm not upgrading my iPad to iOS6 yet for this exact reason.
  • Reply 8 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Eventually it won't matter which YouTube app you use, since they've stopped automatically transcoding videos to standard H.264 in favor of their proprietary WebM.

Here's an interesting little tidbit of information.

If you visit YouTube on either an iPhone or an iPad, the site detects you are on a mobile device and will play the relevant video in HTML5.

Good for them.

However, if you visit the exact same video on a Mac, it refuses to play the video in HTML5, offering only the option of Flash, forcing you to install and adopt it.

Jesus, Google.

When exactly was it that you strayed so far from your own 'informal' motto?

• Reply 9 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

Article fails to point out that there is no youtube app for iPad available yet - only the iPhone version!

I found the address of the iPad YouTube app for you in iTunes:

http://m.youtube.com

• Reply 10 of 25
    Yay ads! Now I don't have to worry about lost revenue on my channel!

Adsense is a side income with my YouTube channel, and I was curious why I've had a increase in revenue lately.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    snax007 wrote: »

Just use Jasmine. It''s better than Google YouTube app anyway and there is NO ads.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    @gtr: Thanks but no thanks - I want the real iPad app and not the poor website version.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Gtr, no thanks!

I want the iPad app and not just the youtube mobile web site (which is quite bad imo)
  • Reply 14 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Just use Jasmine. It''s better than Google YouTube app anyway and there is NO ads.

Thanks for the tip :)

Unfortunately it requires iOS6 and I have not upgraded yet since I'm afraid to lose out of a propper youtube app - if Jasmine blows, I'm stuck....

• Reply 15 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'd like to see a native app for iPad. Google offers one for iPhone. Or really, a better mobile web site, I don't know what happened, but their mobile site coding is clunky.
    So how about the legacy Maps app that relies on Google Maps? Will they keep data alive for that as well?

Last I heard, they will still supply maps for the legacy apps.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sdw2001 wrote: »
    The Google YouTube app is better anyway. A little different, but better.

I had a quick look in the app store for an iPad app but didn't have time to figure out which of the many was the Google one, what's it actually called?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    matrix07 wrote: »

OK thanks for tip.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    gtr wrote: »

If you visit YouTube on either an iPhone or an iPad, the site detects you are on a mobile device and will play the relevant video in HTML5.

Good for them.

However, if you visit the exact same video on a Mac, it refuses to play the video in HTML5, offering only the option of Flash, forcing you to install and adopt it.

Jesus, Google.

OMG, really? They have taken a step backwards to Flash? That's really a surprise, I thought they had dropped Flash support on Androids too already ... Next we'll read Google has merged with Microsoft and intends to go all out on killing Apple as a new joint Evil Empire.

Seriously though my Safari on Mac 10.8.2 plays my Youtube fine still with no Flash (click to Flash on) so it must be still playing the HTML5. Or is this legacy stuff that has the HTML5 still and newly uploaded material is behaving like this?

Have you actually initiated HTML5 at YouTube by going to Just asking ...
  • Reply 19 of 25

Good for them.

Jesus, Google.

I'm not sure why you think that. I can play the same video on both iPhone and Mac and they play just fine. I don't have Flash.

Maybe if it detects that you have Flash it plays that by default.
  • Reply 20 of 25

Good for them.

Jesus, Google.

Educate yourself, you can enable HTML5 easily for all videos: