siri

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

i upgraded to ios6 on my iphone 4s and ipad 3

siri keeps telling me it's 95 degrees in new york city, and in manhattan, no matter how many times i ask her

the temperature is 64

anyone know what gives?  and what to do about it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

It might be giving you the temperature for the wrong city. Maybe NY, Texas? It's tied to the new maps app which might be the reason. Check to see if that's the case. Also make sure your location setting and all that are turned on.

• Reply 2 of 8

Originally Posted by twosee View Post

It's tied to the new maps app which might be the reason.

I'm pretty darn sure that's not the case. What reason would there be for that? Seeing a map can't tell you the temperature.

• Reply 3 of 8

everything is properly set - this only happened with the upgrade to ios6 - it's been over a week now and it's not corrected - i saw somewhere on television that one of the complaints about the iphone5 (i think they meant ios6 because i'm still on the 4s ) is that it is giving false weather reports - but everything on my "weather channel" app seems to be working correctly

ridiculous - and very frustrating - makes the whole siri gimmick seem junky

• Reply 4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm pretty darn sure that's not the case. What reason would there be for that? Seeing a map can't tell you the temperature.

No, it cannot give you the temperature from the map, this is true. And I'd like to preface by saying that I'm not 100% certain this is the case, but I've seen other posts (many from NY users) where it only begun happening after iOS6 update. What I believe could be happening is that when you ask Siri for the weather in NY, it will look up NY, get the coordinates and pull weather from there? It's like some of those posts regarding Columbia SC showing a city in Colombia.

I'm curious, how is the OP asking? "Whats the weather?" or more specific like "Whats the weather in NY?"

• Reply 5 of 8

i have tried it everywhichway

"what is the temperature in new york city?" she says "95, hot!"

"what is the temperature in manhattan?" she says "95, hot!"

"what is the temperature in brooklyn?" she says "64" (which is correct

"what is the temperature in new york"? she says "95, hot!"

this has been going on since the first day the ios6 system was available for upgrading - and has not been corrected

weird, huh?

• Reply 6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhillbp View Post

everything is properly set - this only happened with the upgrade to ios6 - it's been over a week now and it's not corrected - i saw somewhere on television that one of the complaints about the iphone5 (i think they meant ios6 because i'm still on the 4s ) is that it is giving false weather reports - but everything on my "weather channel" app seems to be working correctly

ridiculous - and very frustrating - makes the whole siri gimmick seem junky

Hahaha, yeah, I hear you. I can see how it can be frustrating. Personally I don't think it's a gimmick, i actually use it to send texts, set appointments, set timers/alarms, add items to my shopping lists etc. But back to your issue:

First, are you suuuure you are in NY?? ;) I'm kidding. I came across this post, others are having location issues, but it's odd as to why. Seems if you ask siri where you are, it pinpoints them correctly.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19661159#19661159

Have you tried turning off and on location services? Also make sure you report it to Apple.

• Reply 7 of 8

what's the best way to report it to apple?

thank you for the link - apparently even if you say "manhattan" (let alone New York City or New York, New York) she thinks it's new york, texas - weird weird weird

BUT, when i asked her to locate me she knew exactly (almost) where i am (midtown manhattan), so it's not the location service, it's something else - god only knows what

thanks again

• Reply 8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhillbp View Post

what's the best way to report it to apple?

thank you for the link - apparently even if you say "manhattan" (let alone New York City or New York, New York) she thinks it's new york, texas - weird weird weird

BUT, when i asked her to locate me she knew exactly (almost) where i am (midtown manhattan), so it's not the location service, it's something else - god only knows what

thanks again

If you are a developer you can do it here:

https://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/

if not I believe here is the place:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Good luck! I'm sure they know about it already, But it wont hurt to get multiple people reporting it, might add more emphasis to the problem.