Purported quality control QR code left behind in new iPhone 5's camera roll [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
A never before seen image of what looks to be a QR code generated after some type of test was found in the camera roll of a straight-from-the-factory iPhone 5, possibly offering a rare glimpse at one of the final steps an Apple device passes through before being shipped out to consumers.

QR Code
Purported factory-generated QR code (sensitive information redacted).

Update: A number of AppleInsider readers are reporting seeing identical test images on their delivered units (see below), however unlike the article's original example, the tests show a "Pass" rating. Also, according to the EXIF data taken from Brent's image, the screenshot was taken one day prior to the unit being shipped out.

AppleInsider reader Brent reports that he found the above image in the camera roll of his brand new iPhone 5 upon taking delivery of the unit on Wednesday, noting the device was sent directly from China.

It should be noted that AppleInsider cannot confirm the validity of the image as QR codes are relatively easy to generate, and offers the following information solely for purposes of discussion.

At the top of the image is a representation of China's red octagonal stop sign with the Chinese symbol "停" or "ting," meaning stop or halt. It is speculated that the sign signifies a warning for a factory worker to recheck a parameter that does not meet required standards, or is perhaps the result of an in-factory quality control test.

A quick scan of the QR code itself revealed a string of numbers and letters which turned out to contain the device's model number, IMEI, serial number and supplied nano-SIM card number, each separated by colons. At the end of the contiguous character string was an unknown "65%" designation which appears to relate to the "65% Fail/不良" line highlighted in red. Just above the percentage are the characters "LL/A," most likely referring to the last three identifying digits of the iPhone 5's MD63XLL/A order number.

It is not yet known what the "65% Fail" notice is in reference to, however the unit itself is reported to be in functioning order and was delivered with a full battery charge.

Finally, the purported test result is seemingly a carryover from the iPhone 4 or 4S as evidence by the two black bars positioned at the top and bottom image.

Brent contacted Apple support about the image and was escalated to a senior staff member who suggested to "delete the picture and don't worry about it" if the phone was operational, declining to offer any further information. The issue was noted in the attached support ticket if any future problems were to arise.

AppleInsider has contacted Apple regarding the matter and will update this article when an official reply is received.

Pass Code 1
From AppleInsider reader Robert

Pass Code 2
From AppleInsider reader Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    lol, if that was my phone, I'd be like, "uhm, thank you, but just to be safe, I'd prefer to exchange this for a unit that doesn't include a photo that reads: FAIL."
  • Reply 2 of 22
    It's only 65% fail, you can survive. Seriously though, I want to some details on what this checks.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    "Delete it? How about this; you give me a new iPhone 5 64GB and pay for my current contract and I'll give you the phone, the image, and won't sell it to a tech news site?"
  • Reply 4 of 22
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Most likely, the person who didn't remove this image from the phone will be tracked down and punished. The person will be forced to eat cream of wheat for one month.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Most likely, the person who didn't remove this image from the phone will be tracked down and punished. The person will be forced to eat cream of wheat for one month.

BY punished you mean sent to work at a different part of the factory that doesn't get to work on Apple products and gets paid less money per hour.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Why the moan? You have 14-days grace period to return for a refund/exchange. Oh. you don't want to wait back in line to get a new one... What? You want to be famous too? :-P

I actually want to write this; I never remember to check my iPhone camera roll the moment I switch it on and set it up.

/nevermind
  • Reply 7 of 22

65%FAILGATE

• Reply 8 of 22

I'd like to see the EXIF data from the photo and check GPS location, etc.

• Reply 9 of 22
    You guys use the word Purported too often.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Why the moan? You have 14-days grace period to return for a refund/exchange. Oh. you don't want to wait back in line to get a new one... What? You want to be famous too? :-P
    I actually want to write this; I never remember to check my iPhone camera roll the moment I switch it on and set it up.
    /nevermind

But you do eventually look at the photos you take, right? I'm curious what the point of that aside was. If it's a photo in the camera roll, you're going to stumble across it soon enough if you ever use the camera.

Anyway, you're right, there is an exchange period, and it's not as if that photo voids the warranty either. If there is actually a problem, it's most likely going to show up in the first year or not at all.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sipsip Posts: 210member

Quote:

AppleInsider has contacted Apple regarding the matter and will update this article when an official reply is received.

You did mean IF and not when, right?

• Reply 12 of 22
    Alert the media! Assuming Lindsay Lohan isn't the top story, Failgate is on!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    You guys use the word Purported too often.

Purportedly so.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    The battery looks to be at about 65%. Maybe it's something to do with that?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    markallan wrote: »
    The battery looks to be at about 65%. Maybe it's something to do with that?

Perhaps it is as innocuous as saying the battery hasn't been charged enough for shipping but I wonder why one would need an image on the camera roll to tell you that (unless it's an accidental screenshot or a pre-OS diagnostics screen).
  • Reply 16 of 22
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    [RIGHT][/RIGHT]get the applecare+!... or return it for another (so that apple inc gets it) ... because in any case the phone was rushed out of the factory, so why not get a "regular" one.
    [quote]
    ...and also why do I have a picture of a worker with a funny red ball in their mouth, and why are they wearing that black latex outfit... /Facetious [/quote]
  • Reply 17 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perhaps it is as innocuous as saying the battery hasn't been charged enough for shipping but I wonder why one would need an image on the camera roll to tell you that (unless it's an accidental screenshot or a pre-OS diagnostics screen).

Bingo! Why else would the image be saved to camera roll?

It's quite possible the failed component was replaced before the phone shipped, too.  If it was in fact an accidental screenshot, it makes sense why no one noticed and deleted it.  I manage to take one about once a month...

• Reply 18 of 22

K.

• Reply 19 of 22

Why did he get it direct from China?  Is that how they now ship?  The only time Apple sent me something directly from china was a free accessory for my "troubles". 

• Reply 20 of 22
    Why did he get it direct from China?  Is that how they now ship?  The only time Apple sent me something directly from china was a free accessory for my "troubles". 

For at least several years now I and others have been getting product from Apple with FedEx tracking starting in China.