Official iPhone 5 user guide references Apple-made dock

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though Apple has not released a first-party dock for the iPhone 5 and its new Lightning connector, the official iPhone 5 user guide refers to an official "iPhone Dock" accessory sold separately.

Dock

References to the dock, first highlighted on Thursday by MacDailyNews, can be found in two different places within the official guide. The iPhone 5 guide can be downloaded in PDF form direct from Apple.

The first reference to a supposed "iPhone Dock" accessory can be found on page 7 of the guide. At the bottom of the page, under the "Connecting cable" heading, the guide notes that the new Lightning to USB Cable, packaged with the iPhone 5, "can also be used with the iPhone Dock (sold separately)."

Another mention of an officially titled "Dock" can be found on page 34 of the iPhone 5 owners' manual. In a section that informs users how they can recharge the battery on their new iPhone 5, the guide notes that users can connect their handset "to your computer using the included cable and the Dock, available separately."

Dock

For previous iPhone models with the 30-pin dock connector, Apple has sold a first-party dock for $29. The first-generation iPhone, released in 2007, even shipped with a dock for charging and syncing included in the box for the device.

But this year, with the launch of the iPhone 5 and its new, smaller Lightning connector, Apple did not release a redesigned dock alongside the new hardware. The redesigned port allowed Apple to make the new iPhone thinner and lighter than ever, but has also caused frustration for some users who are upset that legacy accessories, including 30-pin docks, are no longer compatible.

There have been suggestions that Apple may not be planning an official iPhone 5 dock designed to fit the new device's thinner profile and redesigned Lightning port. But references contained in the official iPhone 5 manual suggest that the company could still release an accessory.

However, it's also possible that Apple originally planned to build its own iPhone 5 dock before scrapping those plans, and references to an official "Dock" accessory simply were not removed from the iPhone 5 user guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I think it's really rude of Apple to not make a dock this year and especially to say as the explanation (paraphrased) "no one wants one." What they are really telling us that three just isn't enough MONEY in it for them to bother, which is a really a-holish thing to say or imply.

I also think there is a certain irony in releasing a phone that (supposedly) scratches so easily and at the same time force us all to lay the thing down on a desks/table/floor to charge the thing. This can only lead to more scratches than the device would otherwise have.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    The manual cited is not exclusively an iPhone 5 manual. In the very paragraph you cite it refers to the 4S, which did (and does) have a dock available, so the dock stuff is no shocker.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Having no dock is annoying as a developer because I like to have my device standing up which makes it a lot easier to test my apps. Ugh.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Giving the recent rumors regarding limited supply of the cable (currently showing a 1-2 week backlog at Apple Store) I think Apple planned on releasing a dock, but opted to not offer the dock in light of lighting cable supply issues. I have know doubt Apple designed a dock for the iPhone 5. The fact that Apple didn't even indicate that a dock would be available in a future date makes me wonder if Apple's lighting cable supply issues are expected to last for several months, perhaps due to a limited supply of the recently identified authentication chip. It's important to remember that it's not just the iPhone using this new cable, but also the new iPod Touch and Nano and likely the rumored iPad mini and the approaching holiday season, which will see large quantities of the above devices shipping, all of which will have lighting cables.

I expect we'll see an iPhone 5 dock in January with something like, "Due to customer feedback, we've decided to bring back the iPhone dock for iPhone 5".
  • Reply 5 of 34

It is a no-brainer that a dock would and will sell if apple makes one.

People like them on their work desk, and I like mine on my nightstand where my iPhone sleeps and performs one of its many duties as my alarm clock.

• Reply 6 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think it's really rude of Apple to not make a dock this year and especially to say as the explanation (paraphrased) "no one wants one." What they are really telling us that three just isn't enough MONEY in it for them to bother, which is a really a-holish thing to say or imply.

Yeah!  What jerks!  How dare a for-profit business not release a product that's unprofitable!

• Reply 7 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

It is a no-brainer that a dock would and will sell if apple makes one.

People like them on their work desk, and I like mine on my nightstand where my iPhone sleeps and performs one of its many duties as my alarm clock.

If it's a no-brainer, then why isn't Apple selling one?  Could it be they have actual sales data that suggests otherwise?

Remember, the plural of anecdote is not data.

• Reply 8 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

I also think there is a certain irony in releasing a phone that (supposedly) scratches so easily and at the same time force us all to lay the thing down on a desks/table/floor to charge the thing. This can only lead to more scratches than the device would otherwise have.

Whaaaaaaaa!

Docks are pointless. Utterly pointless.

• Reply 9 of 34
    pmz wrote: »
    Whaaaaaaaa!

They keep us from getting wet when we park our boats.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Steve Jobs would have released a dock. Apple is doomed (TM). /s
  • Reply 11 of 34
    It shouldn't be hard to design a dock which is simply a piece of plastic that accepts the Lightning to USB cable's plug end, and holds it in place so the iPhone 5 can dock to it.

Best of all, Apple can charge $10 for it and make boatloads of money on something that costs 50 cents to make.

I'm surprised they didn't go this route. This is how the iPhone 5 display docks in the Apple Stores are made, afterall, so it's not like they didn't think of it at least for that.
  • Reply 12 of 34

Thy most likely aren't selling one because the new form factor came out. I expect Apple to create one soon. If not others will be making them once they reverse engineer the lightning chip. There is money to be made here.

• Reply 13 of 34

I think it's really rude of Apple to not make a dock this year and especially to say as the explanation (paraphrased) "no one wants one."

I don't buy that they said that. I wouldn't put my iPhone anywhere but the dock.

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Except for, you know, docking. And protecting and securing your device, keeping it in an easily accessible position.

Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

Thy most likely aren't selling one because the new form factor came out.

What does this mean? I certainly HOPE they're making one.

• Reply 14 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewsta View Post

Yeah!  What jerks!  How dare a for-profit business not release a product that's unprofitable!

I don't think you understand how business works.  Everything they make is profitable in that it has a rather healthy margin built in.  

My comment about money was that they don't think it will make them *enough* money (in terms of total dollars) to be worth their while.  They rightly point out that most people use cases, but what they are ignoring is that with their device sales figures in the hundreds of millions, a tiny percentage is equal to a huge number of people that are out of luck.  

• Reply 15 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Whaaaaaaaa!

Sez the person making the ignorant, illogical and utterly pointless remark.  :-/

• Reply 16 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't buy that they said that. I wouldn't put my iPhone anywhere but the dock. ...

I don't have the link but my recollection is that Phil Schiller himself said (again paraphrased as I don't have the quote), that they are "not making one" for the iPhone 5, because "most people use cases anyway." 

• Reply 17 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I don't think you understand how business works.  Everything they make is profitable in that it has a rather healthy margin built in.  

No, you're the one who doesn't understand business. It is easy to lose money on a product even if it has very high gross margins. If your overheads are greater than the gross margin, you lose money. And if the opportunity cost is greater than the value, you lose money.

I have no idea how many Apple could sell or whether they'd be profitable or not, but it is wrong for you to equate gross margin with profit.
  • Reply 18 of 34

I thought that the dock just gave a pin to pin connection and used the standard users cable as the charger.  In which case a dock should be fairly simple to make and not require any electronics.

• Reply 19 of 34
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    I'm guessing most people use some type of case or bumper for their phone, making the dock useless, short of disassembling and reassembling it every time.

Between my household and circle of family and friends there are about 25 iPhones I am aware of, and everyone uses a case.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    thrang wrote: »
    I'm guessing most people use some type of case or bumper for their phone, making the dock useless, short of disassembling and reassembling it every time.
    Between my household and circle of family and friends there are about 25 iPhones I am aware of, and everyone uses a case.

That's certainly one possibility.