Urban Outfitters drops cash registers for Apple's iPad in 400 stores

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
U.S. retailer Urban Outfitters told analysts that was equipping all of its stores with iPad and iPod touch-based payment systems, and never buying another cash register again.

According to a report by Business Insider, the retail chain's chief information officer, Calvin Hollinger, said that equipping stores would iPad sales systems would save both space and money while allowing for more customer interaction.

Hollinger said an iPad cost the organization one-fifth as much as a conventional cash register and can be installed to pivot to face the customer, who can then view the order, add their personal information, and perform tasks such as creating a gift registry.

When not in use, an iPad can be quickly detached, freeing counter space for inventory use or merchandise packing.

In addition to setting up iPads at checkout, Urban Outfitters will also be equipping salespeople with smaller iPod touch systems, similar to those used by Apple's retail stores and an increasing number of other retailers.

The Philadelphia-based Urban Outfitters operates more than 400 stores under the brands Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain and BHLDN.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47

And the beat goes on... By the time Microsoft gets their act together and a tablet out the door, monkey boy will need a walker to do his dance.

I predict that we will live long enough to see the last desktop PC go dark. Many of us will be able to tell our grandchildren that we remember when people spent up to an hour traveling to a job in big building where everyone sat in tiny cubes and spent their time typing on keyboards while looking at CRTs and complaining about carpel tunnel injury and back and neck pain." Our grandchildren will look at us in awe and then ask, "What's a 'job'?"

• Reply 2 of 47
    "It's just a toy"
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Uh oh. Wait for it...
  • Reply 4 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    And so it begins.

I still think Apple should start their own bank.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Remember all of the ignorant fools who took offense to Steve Job's statement when speaking about the Post-PC era?

Well, as usual, who are the fools now?

iPads are taking over everywhere! Note that I didn't mention tablets, I mentioned iPads, because there is no tablet market, there's only an iPad market. People only buy iPads, virtually nobody (besides a few poor people and a couple of Apple haters) are buying the other junky and cheap, inferior, ripoff tablets.

The days of desktop PC's are over. Certain pros, businesses and content creators will still be using desktop PC's, but the average person, which means the majority of all people, will not be buying any more desktop PC's.

iPads are only going to become more and more prevalent while traditional PC's will continue to decline, as they have been doing for a while now.

As soon as the first iPad was released, I instantly knew that it was going to be a huge hit, and so did quite a few other people. Do you remember how many moronic fools were dissing the first iPad? These people are truly ignorant and they wouldn't recognize a revolutionary product if it landed right on top of their thick heads.

• Reply 6 of 47
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    but where's the cash box?
  • Reply 7 of 47

Just reinforcing the Apple/hipster relationship...

• Reply 8 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Who uses cash anymore?

People who don't have a credit card or debit card to their name do not deserve to purchase any goods in 2012.

But, if somebody does pay with cash, then I'm sure that they have some sort of metal cash box or something underneath the counter for those sorts of customers.

Cash money is filthy, and I try to stay away from it. 

• Reply 9 of 47

but but but..it's just an oversized IPod..it will fail

• Reply 10 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And so it begins.

I still think Apple should start their own bank.

++1

• Reply 11 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

When you visit an Apple Retail Store if you are observant and patient, someone might pay with cash and you may get a chance to see there is a hidden cash drawer built right into those wooden merchandise display tables.

• Reply 12 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Android is winning...oh wait.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I hoard it up to a point in case of emergencies like earthquakes or other natural disasters that could interrupt electricity or conventional electronic commerce.

• Reply 14 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who uses cash anymore?

People who don't have a credit card or debit card to their name do not deserve to purchase any goods in 2012.

But, if somebody does pay with cash, then I'm sure that they have some sort of metal cash box or something underneath the counter for those sorts of customers.

I doubt the metal cash box.  my guess is the store 'main' server has a full PoS system with a cash drawer.   

Cash may be a lot of things, it's also the least expensive way for a retailer to close a transaction. 

• Reply 15 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hoard it up to a point in case of emergencies like earthquakes or other natural disasters that could interrupt electricity or conventional electronic commerce.

Yeah, I guess that's a good idea. If the shit ever hits the fan and most of your money is in a bank, and the ATM machines are down, you're kind of shit out of luck.

I do always keep a few dollars in real money in my pocket, but I only use it in those cases when I must, like a street vendor, a deli, a weed dealer, etc.

• Reply 16 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Cash may be a lot of things, it's also the least expensive way for a retailer to close a transaction. 

Yeah, there's this Chinese restaurant nearby me, and if you pay with cash, you get a 5 or 10% rebate on the bill.

• Reply 17 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

The only non-iPad news of any kind was that American Airlines were using Samsung tablets for in-flight ordering.  Considering how crappy that airline is, it seemed like a perfect match.

Other than that, it's all iPads and iPhone/touches I see being used in retail.  

Screw the iHaters and Fandroids that whined how the iPad was "just a toy".

• Reply 18 of 47
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    You can still have cash counter at the store, though this allows sellers to deal with customers directly if they don't need cash.
  • Reply 19 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The only non-iPad news of any kind was that American Airlines were using Samsung tablets for in-flight ordering.  Considering how crappy that airline is, it seemed like a perfect match.

Other than that, it's all iPads and iPhone/touches I see being used in retail.  

Screw the iHaters and Fandroids that whined how the iPad was "just a toy".

When the telephone was first starting out a lot of people resisted it with , "No self-respecting adult would be caught talking to a box on the wall."

• Reply 20 of 47

Shoulder tattoos aren't attractive.