EU judge recommends review of Apple's advertised warranties

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The chief justice of the European Union has said that Apple's advertised AppleCare product warranties should be examined to determine whether they comply with the law.

EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding wrote a letter to the 27 countries that are members of the EU that was obtained by Bloomberg. The letter called Apple's marketing practices "unacceptable."

"Apple prominently advertised that its products come with a one-year manufacturer warranty but failed to indicate the consumers' automatic and free-of-cost entitlement to a minimum two-year guarantee under EU law," Reding wrote.

AppleCare Italy

The letter comes after the Italian government fined Apple $1.2 million earlier this year for not providing customers with accurate information regarding mandated product guarantees and warranty stipulations. Apple was investigated for "unfair commercial practices," and was found to have pushed its paid two-year AppleCare warranty on customers, despite the fact that EU laws require companies to offer the same protections without charge.

In response, Apple featured a "communication to protect consumers" in Italy in January. In complying with the court order, Apple began informing customers at its online store about the legally mandated two-year warranty.

While Apple's warranty trouble has been primarily in Italy to date, the letter from Reding suggests that those issues could spread to other countries in the EU. Each country in the union has different sanctions for violations of consumer protection law, but the EU cannot investigate a company itself for misleading advertising.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Here we go. Again. I mean, it really isn't necessary. If something breaks down in the 2nd year, simply go back to the store and tell them you are entitled to the same warranty they gave during its 1st year. They will, and do, take that to heart and comply. There's really no point in requesting Apple to change their advertisement 'strategy'.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    philboogie wrote: »
    There's really no point in requesting Apple to change their advertisement 'strategy'.

Except if people don't ask for it, they will be charged for the repairs. Apple are charging for AppleCare which advertises that it offers more than call-centre support, which it does not.

It is Apple's responsibility to ensure they are following the laws of the countries they sell in, and do not misrepresent a customer's rights. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to inform the customer of their rights, but just that they do not deliberately and with foresight mislead them.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

This just in, Apple to stop selling all products and services in the EU. 

This just in minutes later, citizens of the EU have impeached those responsible for this inquiry.

• Reply 4 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Here we go. Again. I mean, it really isn't necessary. If something breaks down in the 2nd year, simply go back to the store and tell them you are entitled to the same warranty they gave during its 1st year. They will, and do, take that to heart and comply. There's really no point in requesting Apple to change their advertisement 'strategy'.

According to a couple of news stories a few months ago there are concerns Apple uses the advertised one-year warranty as a marketing tool to help sell AppleCare, which the Italian government took issue with. IMO that's probably at least one of the concerns for the EU Chief.

• Reply 5 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

That assumes that everyone knows their rights and is willing and able to enforce those rights.

I don't know EU law so I can't evaluate the validity of the claims. However, if it is true that Apple has to offer a two year warranty, then their packaging and advertising should reflect that.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member

Quote:

I understand your point, but still, Apple needs to inform people of their rights

-

In France, Apple store doesn't tell it to customers unless you ask (I tested it, the apple employees was very informative and polite, he explained me than yes, Apple does not communicate that, it's to customers to ASK, then he told me EVERYTHING about the european law )

• Reply 7 of 39
    Did you just read the same article that I did? Apple is being accused of used car sales style gimmicks that kill brand loyalty and cheat customers. The right thing to do here is refund all apple care sales for the year required by law. The smart thing to do would be to extend 2 year warranties to all of your customers and negotiate a discount on any replacements required from your suppliers. Apple is a premium brand that earns more than any other in the world. Giving world class service is a big part of that brand.

The most important thing to do right now is fix the incentives that are causing any employee or reseller to use these sales tactics.

Customers never forget this kind of treatment. They may forgive but they never forget.
    If I ever get a chance to get even for this kind of treatment I never hesitate to do so.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    @everyone above (except Macnewsjunkie): yes, people should know their rights, and voice this. But hey, people do this, no? People that don't are most likely missing out on a lot more in life that a 2 year warrant.

@Gatorguy: LOL. If they 'EU chief' is going to request Apple not to sell AppleCare, we ,might just get into a recession as less money changes hands. Wait -
  • Reply 9 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Apple getting called on dirty tactics, selling people things that they're entitled to by law.  Good.

• Reply 10 of 39
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Do other companies, such as Dell, display this information prominently on their Italian website? Or are Apple being targeted for being the industry leader?

• Reply 11 of 39
    I think that Vivian doesn't really know what she's talking about.
    Looks more as she's paid by someone to fight against Apple.
    In the second year of common guarantee you must prove that the product already had a problem when you bought it.
    With Apple Care you just explain your problem.
    And if they can't fix it by phone you'll get a new one.
    Just try it with a Samsung or any other product or company.

Apple Care is much much more than the standard guarantee.
  • Reply 12 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Do other companies, such as Dell, display this information prominently on their Italian website? Or are Apple being targeted for being the industry leader?

Been looking around the Dell Italy website and it seems it doesn't.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/footer/terms?c=it&l=it&s=gen

(Google translated)

Dell warrants that the Products are: (i) conform to the description of the Product, (ii) be free from material defects for a period of one year from the date of delivery (Base Warranty Service), and (iii) the parts Dell are free of any defects for a period of ninety calendar days from the date of delivery or for the remaining warranty period, whichever is longer, the Services or required by law. The Customer is also available, among other things, a range of services, including but not limited to, warranties of repair or replacement, which extend for a period longer than that provided for in the Base Warranty Service. Dell will repair and replace the Product in accordance with the description of the service that the customer buys and the applicable law to protect the consumer.

Also, when buying a Laptop, this is displayed:

Roughly Google translated:

Services Help Me Choose

1 year on-site hardware support within one business day

If Apple has to do it, so should all manufacturers.
  • Reply 13 of 39

The second year of required warranty is not the same as the first in most EU countries and certainly doesn't match the coverage of AppleCare.  The second year only covers deficiencies that were present at the time of sale.  So, a weak battery in the 2nd year would not be covered. RAM or a hard drive that fails in the second year would not be covered.  The Czech Republic, Hungary and Italy are the only countries I'm aware of that require full warranty coverage for a minimum of two years.

• Reply 14 of 39

Quote:

You have to obey the laws and norms of where you do business. Otherwise, stay at home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This just in, Apple to stop selling all products and services in the EU. 

There's only one slight problem. Apple gets 23% of its revenue and 27% of operating income from Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

However, if it is true that Apple has to offer a two year warranty, then their packaging and advertising should reflect that.

Agreed.

• Reply 15 of 39
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

Just realised recently that's also how to do it in Australia.

Not tried it myself yet though because I've only been back for a year. Anyone?

Gawd Bless The 1st World (ex America)... (Just kidding!)
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Bought an iPhone in Germany from O2 that started to crash every day after 14 months of use. O2 did not pay for the repair because according to the 2 year EU warranty, it is up to the user to prove that the product was faulty. So, it cost me 200 Euros to have my iPhone replaced. For that much money, I could have gotten a new Android phone!

It's not Apple that needs to restate its warranty. It is the EU that needs to drop that stupid 2 year warranty where the user needs to prove any faulty parts after 6 months.

Actually, my iPhone had problems with crashing frequently during my 1 year warranty period. But I figured it is just software... after 14 months it got worse, where it crashed and a reboot did not fix it. Had to do a complete restore. This happened twice, and then I figured I need to do something. But I could not prove that the iPhone was crashing often during the first year, so the EU *law* did not help me in any way. Actually, the EU law is very misleading to the consumer.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    timmydax wrote: »
    Except if people don't ask for it, they will be charged for the repairs. Apple are charging for AppleCare which advertises that it offers more than call-centre support, which it does not.
    It is Apple's responsibility to ensure they are following the laws of the countries they sell in, and do not misrepresent a customer's rights. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to inform the customer of their rights, but just that they do not deliberately and with foresight mislead them.

Yeah this is a nagging issue recently here in Australia as well. The habit of selling extended warranties still goes on but is now frowned upon by the govr'ment (supposedly, ACCC jumping up and down apparently).
  • Reply 18 of 39
    The second year of required warranty is not the same as the first in most EU countries and certainly doesn't match the coverage of AppleCare.  The second year only covers deficiencies that were present at the time of sale.  So, a weak battery in the 2nd year would not be covered. RAM or a hard drive that fails in the second year would not be covered.  The Czech Republic, Hungary and Italy are the only countries I'm aware of that require full warranty coverage for a minimum of two years.

AppleCare does not cover weak batteries. Only batteries that were deemed defective at the time in first went into your computer. RAM failure should be covered by statutory warranties, weird how the EU doesn't cover that. HDD understandable.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    sr2012 wrote: »
    AppleCare does not cover weak batteries. Only batteries that were deemed defective at the time in first went into your computer. RAM failure should be covered by statutory warranties, weird how the EU doesn't cover that. HDD understandable.

I've never owned a Mac yet, but I've had my iPhone 4S replaced in July because the battery was lasting less than 50% the advertised length. That's their stated policy.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Those laws only cover defects at time of purchase from the seller. And in many countries after the first 6-8 months the customer is the one that has to prove it was there.

Whereas Apple covers anything at any time during the period no matter here you bought it so long as it was a legit authorized dealer (or a private party that bought it from an authorized source) and it isn't from obvious damage.

Apple is only at fault if they refused someone with a legit claim that bought from them and there have been few to no claims of such being refused.