Apple rumored to send out 'iPad mini' event invitations on Oct. 10

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new report suggests Apple will send out invitations on Oct. 10 for a media event at which the company will unveil a new, smaller iPad.

Citing an unnamed source, Philip Elmer-DeWitt of Apple 2.0 reported on Monday that members of the press will be invited to the event on Wednesday, Oct. 10. That would suggest the event itself would be held a week later on Wednesday, Oct. 17, as Apple typically gives a week's notice with its invitations.

If Apple were to follow recent launch schedules as it has done with the iPhone 5 and new iPad, the so-called "iPad mini" could then go on sale on Friday, Oct. 26.

Monday's rumor comes from an unidentified "major Apple investor" who spoke with Elmer-DeWitt and cited "multiple sources" for the date invitations will allegedly go out.

Mini

Reports first surfaced in August that Apple was planning to hold a media event this month to introduce a smaller and lighter iPad. The new product is believed to feature a screen that will measure 7.85 inches diagonally, smaller than the 9.7-inch display found on all iPad models to date.

Leaked components and device mockups have also suggested the device will have a smaller bezel around the screen than the current iPad, as users will be able to hold it easily with one hand. The smaller iPad has also been shown with Apple's new Lightning connector, featured on the iPhone 5 and updated iPod touch and iPod nano.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 118
    Meh. I like mine the way it is.
  • Reply 2 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    I think it makes perfect sense. Should be a killer Xmas gift for kids.
  • Reply 3 of 118

So now we are speculating not just about date of product unveiling but about the date of announcing the date of product unveiling? Samsung and Google could only wish for such enthusiasm about their marketing.

• Reply 4 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think it makes perfect sense. Should be a killer Xmas gift for kids.

Or parents who don't really need a full fledged tablet (but may benefit) and occasionally use a Kindle. 

• Reply 5 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

So now we are speculating not just about date of product unveiling but about the date of announcing the date of product unveiling? Samsung and Google could only wish for such enthusiasm about their marketing.

Ehh I don't know about that, all potential unveilings make their way around the tech universe. Other than the iPhone, none really make it to mainstream.

• Reply 6 of 118
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

One way or the other, it doesn't really matter to me, as I'm rocking original sized iPads, and am quite happy with that.

But, it would nice if they don't release one, just so that I won't have to read all of the whining that will happen when and if they release one.

It's too expensive! Why can't Apple release cheap junk like everybody else, so that I could afford it? My mom only pays me $5.00 a week in allowance.

What? No Retina? That's unacceptable! I was a complete idiot and I had unrealistic and ignorant expectations, so now I'm going to have to prove to the world just how dumb, ignorant and self-entitled I am by ranting about it.

• Reply 7 of 118
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    So if this is true, I guess it makes the job of mac sales easy.

1) How big?
    2) How much do you want to spend?

How can you compete with that, seriously?
  • Reply 8 of 118
    Anyone have any insight on how this impacts the release of the iPod Nano? My iPod broke a day before the release event and I'm holding out for a new one.

I know they have said "October" but any speculation on when?
  • Reply 9 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Can't wait. Would be nice to see something other than MAPGATE in Apple headlines. The funny thing is that I could have gathered thousands of wrong wrong/missing POIs or map issues during the years in Google maps if I wanted to, the amount of times a search brought back fucked up results is massive. The difference is there's not as many frothing at the mouth Google haters as there are Apple haters online, and at the end of the day noone would have cared. 

• Reply 10 of 118
    Why do people have to tell us they don't care about mini and they're happy with old iPad? Who cares? I wouldn't have an old iPad because in my opinion they are redundant to any MBP or MBA. I do have a Kindle Fire which is the correct form factor but wrong OS. The mini will fix that problem.
  • Reply 11 of 118

An iMac update would be nice. 

• Reply 12 of 118
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by duggram View Post

I do have a Kindle Fire which is the correct form factor but wrong OS. 

It's not exactly the same form factor. Kindle Fire and most other tablets are 16:9, which is horrible for a tablet as they are basically made for landscape use only. Portrait view on a 16:9 tablet looks awkward, wrong and retarded.

iPads are 4:3, which is just right for a tablet as it looks great when used in both landscape and portrait. iPads are made for use in all orientations, Android tablets are not.

• Reply 13 of 118

I hear it's only going to be 8GBs at a price between $250.00 to 300.00US.

• Reply 14 of 118
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

And Tallest Skil's head will explode in 3...2...1...

;-)  I welcome this news. My wife wants one, which surprises me as she's not really into "techie" things, but I'm not going to argue if she wants to buy another Apple gadget for the family!

• Reply 15 of 118
    Hopefully it comes with iOS 5.1.1 so I can download a single song with iTunes match. Maybe even choose to download an SD movie instead of automatically downloading HD. Was really looking forward to this prior to iOS 6 which reminds me of the problems when Windows 95 was first released. Still love the hardware but the software has many more issues than just maps.
  • Reply 16 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Anyone have any insight on how this impacts the release of the iPod Nano? My iPod broke a day before the release event and I'm holding out for a new one.

I know they have said "October" but any speculation on when?

I hear it will happen on or before October 31st. No need to thank me.  :-)

• Reply 17 of 118
    Like why do we need an event for whats basically a Kindle Fire competitor? A mini iPad or Maxi Touch if you will event is akin to one for a Nano or iPod shuffle- Unnecessary.
    Where's the iMac event?
  • Reply 18 of 118

Let's hope they release any 7" tablet at a good margin level because we don't need current tablet margins to be eroded.  Too cheap and it's time to sell stock.

• Reply 19 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I hear it will happen on or before October 31st. No need to thank me.  :-)

Okay, no thanks. Just kidding!! Although, isn't it odd how the article mentions October 26th. Isn't that the day Microsoft's Windows 8 is to be released?

• Reply 20 of 118
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153040/apple-rumored-to-send-out-ipad-mini-event-invitations-on-oct-10#post_2202678"]
    It's not exactly the same form factor. Kindle Fire and most other tablets are 16:9, which is horrible for a tablet as they are basically made for landscape use only. Portrait view on a 16:9 tablet looks awkward, wrong and retarded.

iPads are 4:3, which is just right for a tablet as it looks great when used in both landscape and portrait. iPads are made for use in all orientations, Android tablets are not.

Wait - didn't I use to hear that the iPhone would never be 16:9 either, that Apple's original ratio was perfect, yada, yada, yada?
    Just sayin...