me.com to icloud.com

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014

I noticed that I now have icloud.com domain for my me.com email addresses (including my wife's). The MBA, iMac, two iPads and two iPhones in my household were all asking if the icloud.com email addresses can be used to received messages, FaceTime calls, etc. I checked the accounts setting on Mail on the MBA and it automatically set up the icloud.com address to go with the me.com address. I tried sending and receiving from the new icloud.com address but it's not working. Anyone else notice this? I guess this is Apple's plan in motion to transfer all me.com addresses to icloud.com?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

They're separate. Apple isn't moving anything already established. If you have an @me.com account, that's your account. The same name under an @icloud.com account can be owned by someone else.

• Reply 2 of 3

Okay. But I'm wondering why Apple added the icloud.com to my "master" account? When I go to Preferences on Mail and click on the Accounts section, the icloud.com email address has been added to the Alias. I didn't add this myself. I can also receive iMessages to this address. But when I try sending a test email to the icloud.com address, it doesn't go through. Just curious what this is about.

• Reply 3 of 3

Okay, I get it now. Just looked it up on Apple's Support site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5441