Second-generation Nest brings slimmer design, more functionality

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Former Apple executive Tony Fadell on Tuesday introduced the second iteration of his company's Nest Learning Thermostat, touting a 20 percent size reduction and enhanced heating and cooling functions.

Nest
Original Nest (left) compared to second-generation unit.

In a post to Nest's blog, Fadell detailed the second-generation thermostat's features such as new hardware and software, wider compatibility, more apps and a refreshed design. Along with the device's debut, the company is rolling out version 3.0 of its Nest software for existing owners.

As far as hardware is concerned, the second-generation Nest brings a revamped wiring layout with compatibility for two stage cooling and dual fuel systems, emergency heat, and whole-home humidifiers and dehumidifiers. The unit's face is now a one-piece "lens," doing away with the original device's sensor grill.

Carried over from the first-generation product is Wi-Fi connectivity, programmable functions based on usage patterns and remote control over wireless via supported apps.

Just as in the first version, Fadell, also known as the "grandfather of the iPod," designed the new Nest with an aluminum enclosure and easy-to-use interface.

The second-generation Nest Learning Thermostat comes in at $249 and is available for pre-order through the company's online store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Who cares?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Honeywell Prestige 2.0 is much easier to use and is far more functional and capable (apart from lacking motion detection) than Nest 1 or 2. For instance, temperature and humidity readings are provided both indoors and outdoors at your house (not just somewhere in your zip code), multiple wireless remote temperature+humidity sensors can be configured around the house, humidity can be regulated by an optional dehumidifier or existing AC, and the Honeywell color touch panel interface is much easier to use. The Honeywell smartphone app and web interfaces also provide far more control over the thermostat and are super well-designed and easy-to-use. The Honeywell can optionally circulate the air periodically even if heating or cooling isn't needed. The Honeywell isn't any more difficult to install than a regular thermostat either, even though Honeywell would like customers to hire a professional for the job.

The Nest motion detection did essentially nothing for us--except cause trouble with its dumb learning--because our house is somewhat large and the thermostat's location is rarely visited by anyone. The Nest only needs 4 wires--but so does the Honeywell if you get the ~$20 "wiresaver" module. And with the Nest, if you have a furnace and A/C and only 4 wires, the fan must be run periodically (wasting energy) in order to charge the Nest battery if no heating or cooling are needed for an extended period of time. The Nest smartphone app is not only limited in function but surprisingly poorly designed.

If you've been invested in AAPL for a few years, you can probably afford the best... and that ain't Nest.

• Reply 3 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

As with much in tech, very glad I waited and didn't grab a first-gen before we really needed it. It'll only get thinner, it'll only get cheaper, it'll only get better.

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Who cares?

You posted. You do. And since you didn't give any explanation as to why you wouldn't, the negative can't even be assumed.

• Reply 4 of 20

It's too expensive. 3M-50 is just $99 and does its job very well. 

• Reply 5 of 20
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

A report was posted on CNN claiming the Nest was causing home owners pets to react adversely and run into the walls randomly.  When investigated the Nest was reported to be transmitting a intermittent high pitch sound not detectable by human ears.  The owner was quoted as saying "One should chose better pets."

• Reply 6 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macvicta wrote: »
    Who cares?

I do. Planned to buy two for someone as an Xmas gift . Now I know to buy the newest model.
  • Reply 7 of 20

Does anyone else think this foretells an iHome app from Apple to be debuted with an Apple TV interface and with Made for iHome appliances a la the nest thermostat? Apple does have an announcement coming up, and I don't think its going to be solely for an iPad mini. I have my fingers crossed for an interesting update to the Apple TV software, although it's probably too close to the holiday season to be putting out an SDK.

• Reply 8 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Does anyone else think this foretells an iHome app from Apple to be debuted with an Apple TV interface and with Made for iHome appliances a la the nest thermostat? Apple does have an announcement coming up, and I don't think its going to be solely for an iPad mini. I have my fingers crossed for an interesting update to the Apple TV software, although it's probably too close to the holiday season to be putting out an SDK.

I don't think it foretells any such thing but I surely hope it comes to fruition. Nothing I'd like more than to see Apple do for home appliances what it did for iDevice accessories.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macvicta wrote: »
    Who cares?

I do. Love ours to bits, the Nest is phenomenal.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    tummytummy Posts: 21member
    We had programmable thermostats previously, but Nest learned our schedule better than we had programmed and auto away works well. It's easy enough for the whole family to use and set away when they're leaving the house. We also like that they communicate with each other wirelessly.

We saved nearly $200 / mo during our AC months in Atlanta this year.

I ordered two of them the day they were available to order. We were one of the first to get them and sold them on eBay for nearly $1,000 each when there was a shortage before the holidays. That paid for the 5 we currently have in our home now.

Here's a photo of one of them.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zYoqwyU8TAw/T0GSsXJng9I/AAAAAAAAa7o/t6UGPOvh8hs/s800/DSC03303.JPG
  • Reply 11 of 20
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    We have a Nest 1.0 but also have a duel fuel unit. I will upgrade to get that compatability for this winter but other than that we love our Nest unit. It has saved us $15 to $20 per month since installing it.

• Reply 12 of 20

20% thinner

Same design

No quad core chip

No new colors

New Software

Same UI

Sound familiar?

• Reply 13 of 20

I just want to be able to play Tempest on it. Heck, call it 'TempNest'.

• Reply 14 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Former Apple executive Tony Fadell on Tuesday introduced the second iteration of his company's Nest Learning Thermostat, touting a 20 percent size reduction and enhanced heating and cooling functions.

Nest

Original Nest (left) compared to second-generation unit.

Just as in the first version, Fadell, also known as the "grandfather of the iPod," designed the new Nest with an aluminum enclosure and easy-to-use interface.

The second-generation Nest Learning Thermostat comes in at $249 and is available for pre-order through the company's online store.

This thing has a stainless steel enclosure, NOT aluminum. The lack of knowledge about materials in the Apple blogosphere is breathtaking; to wit, the continued chatter about scuff marks on iPhone 5.

• Reply 15 of 20
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The Nest motion detection did essentially nothing for us--except cause trouble with its dumb learning--because our house is somewhat large and the thermostat's location is rarely visited by anyone.

Unfortunately the Honeywell Prestige is butt ugly. Maybe it's just as well its location in your house is out of the way?

• Reply 16 of 20
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

And with the Nest, if you have a furnace and A/C and only 4 wires, the fan must be run periodically (wasting energy) in order to charge the Nest battery if no heating or cooling are needed for an extended period of time.

You have that backwards. Since it uses "power stealing" for installations lacking a common wire, it charges its battery between cyclesIf the A/C/heat/fan never comes on, the battery will stay fully charged.

• Reply 17 of 20
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

This thing has a stainless steel enclosure, NOT aluminum. The lack of knowledge about materials in the Apple blogosphere is breathtaking; to wit, the continued chatter about scuff marks on iPhone 5.

It may be stainless steel, but on my 1st gen Nest it looks and feels more like brushed, metallized plastic with a clear coating. Still, I've been extremely pleased with my Nest.

• Reply 18 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    harbinger wrote: »

In all fairness, it's hard to tell from those photos / renderings, and I work with both materials. I found one photo where it was clear it was stainless by looking at it. I did manage to dig up their page where they said it had a stainless housing.

But you would be right to suggest that a material shouldn't be stated unless it was known for sure. Assumptions shouldn't be made in a news article.
  • Reply 19 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

In all fairness, it's hard to tell from those photos / renderings, and I work with both materials. I found one photo where it was clear it was stainless by looking at it. I did manage to dig up their page where they said it had a stainless housing.

But you would be right to suggest that a material shouldn't be stated unless it was known for sure. Assumptions shouldn't be made in a news article.

Your second point is exactly the origin of my thought. Sure, photos deceive. But surely they shouldn't be guessing the material from photos?

• Reply 20 of 20
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tummy View Post

We saved nearly $200 / mo during our AC months in Atlanta this year.

I ordered two of them the day they were available to order. We were one of the first to get them and sold them on eBay for nearly $1,000 each when there was a shortage before the holidays. That paid for the 5 we currently have in our home now.

Here's a photo of one of them.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zYoqwyU8TAw/T0GSsXJng9I/AAAAAAAAa7o/t6UGPOvh8hs/s800/DSC03303.JPG

Perfectly ordinary location for a thermostat!

5 thermostats. You have 5 zones?

I'm not surprised by your energy savings this summer, even though I probably have a smaller house. I save more energy with Honeywell because I don't need to set the temperature too high or too low just to circulate the air periodically. And I'm even more comfortable because the Honeywell can control humidity. Furthermore, the Honeywell has a battery operated wireless remote that I can place in any location around the house (such as the bedroom at night).

The feature Nest finally provided to users a few months ago called "Airwave" Honeywell has provided even in its inexpensive thermostats for years, but Honeywell goes one better than Nest by starting the fan shortly before starting the AC, to get the air moving.

I also found the Nest "learning" feature was awful, because it inserted temperature changes that I frequently had to override and delete. The Nest would often waste energy. I'd be involved in my work and suddenly realize the AC was turned on and wasn't needed; or just the opposite, I'd realize the temperature had gotten uncomfortably warm because the Nest had bumped up the temperature. This occurred months after the installation. Truly magical!

/s

Nest "Leaf" awards for energy efficiency are also a joke, as they are hardly indicative of significant energy conservation. Just bump your thermostat into the green leaf zone for an hour and you'll be awarded a Leaf for the entire day.