Rapper's performance at Microsoft Store event cut short after destruction of several PCs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A wild performance by Cleveland-based rapper Machine Gun Kelly, a.k.a. MGK, at a Microsoft retail store in Atlanta ended abruptly after the artist jumped on showroom tables, smashing a number of expensive laptops.

MGK

Only a minute and a half into his act, MGK's mic was cut after multiple requests from store staff to get off the floor displays went unheeded, reports allhiphop.com (via Kotaku). The pleas only exacerbated the situation, as the rapper flashed the middle finger to employees, improvising the following lyrics into his rap:

?Suck my [redacted], I?m up in this mother[redacted]. MGK in this [redacted]. [Redacted] these computers.?

Warning: Strong language.

Following the incident, Microsoft was quick to note the rapper wasn't hired by the store, but by hip-hop magazine The Source for the publication's Power 30 Issue. While true, the computing giant did allow the MC to perform in-store, a promotional tool sometimes used by Microsoft to drum up interest for retail outlet grand openings.

Most recently, recording artist Flo Rida was hired to perform at an Orlando Microsoft Store in August, while The Black Keys opened a Seattle location and Lenny Kravitz played for a store in Westchester. Last week's snafu, however, is most likely not the kind of exposure the company is seeking.

With its brick-and-mortar storefronts, Microsoft is looking to replicate the financial success enjoyed by Apple's retail division, often opening Apple Store lookalikes near the Cupertino company's existing outlets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Microsoft: We're 'hip', 'cool', and 'with it'. Now get off our lawn.™

But seriously, I take their side on this, of course. The kid doesn't have much of a place in society with that attitude, much less a Microsoft Store.

• Reply 2 of 128
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    LOL
  • Reply 3 of 128
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    He did them a favor.
  • Reply 4 of 128
    "Store patrons knew things were going to go awry when MGK yelled "DJ, spin that sh**" and a store employee began booting up the Surface Tablet..."
  • Reply 5 of 128

I like how in the video, from what I saw, the patrons taking video of his performance were using iPhones.

This whole strategy of having musical acts at store openings is a little misplaced.  At Apple stores, the lines are for the products.  How many people in line for the Microsoft stores are there for the products vs. to see Lenny Kravitz or Flo Rida?

• Reply 6 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

He did them a favor.

No.. he is trash.. he deserves to be exterminated. that's it.

• Reply 7 of 128

Couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 8 of 128
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    LOL
  • Reply 9 of 128

Well if Bill Gates was still around running the company he would've never allowed this to happen...

I never even heard of this guy until today.  I didn't know he was white until I clicked the article.  

• Reply 10 of 128
    Microsoft: We're 'hip', 'cool', and 'with it'. Now get off our lawn.™

But seriously, I take their side on this, of course. The kid doesn't have much of a place in society with that attitude, much less a Microsoft Store.

I don't know why, but somehow this guy reminds me of Steve Ballmer.

They could do a "pas de deux" during the next M$ keynote.
  • Reply 11 of 128
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Oh hush.

I've done worse to PCs(and they deserved it).
  • Reply 12 of 128
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Pretty much this
  • Reply 13 of 128
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Maybe Apple secretly hired The Source to hire MGK to wreck... uhm... I mean "perform at" the Microsoft Store? :)

MGK is nothing but white trash. The rap industry in general - especially "gangsta rap" is more like a skid-mark of the music industry.

I just don't get why lyrics that contains foul words like "M----rF----er", Ho, B!tch, D!ck, P-$$y, F#-K, $h!t, N(word), etc. and all the while grabbing their crotch and holding their pants up, can even qualify as "music"???
  • Reply 14 of 128
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

I never even heard of this guy until today.  I didn't know he was white until I clicked the article.  

LOL. You don't say...
  • Reply 15 of 128
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Now, I know Microsoft has gone into the deep dark depths of Hell.  This is just low class white trash rapper crap.  Well, that's what happens when you get involved with human garbage.  Keep it up Microsoft, your company will just end up selling to losers.   As they say, birds of a feather flock together.

• Reply 16 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I don't know why, but somehow this guy reminds me of Steve Ballmer.

They could do a "pas de deux" during the next M$ keynote.

"Now lemme drop on down some news for ya,

Ol' Microsoft is gonna cruise with ya, yo,

Developin' is all up in the house,

{expletive redacted} all your fruits, how do ya like these apples?!

MC Ballmer and MC Gates,

Visual Basic, not the UNIX 'make'!

Gettin' greedy wit' da Microsoft flow,

But our new interface is not called 'Metro'!"

*Gates beatboxes while Ballmer busts some moves, seams, and world human sweat records*

• Reply 17 of 128
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    'Smashing a number of expensive laptops', I thought Apple products were the only expensive computers out there? Word...

I like the warning AI gave for "Strong Language". Who here could understand the guy?

What are they equal to?

MGK = PoS

MS = PoS (trick question)
  • Reply 18 of 128
    First of all, who really thinks of Microsoft being connected to music? It was and still is Apple that made the connection between music and computers/iPods (iPod being the Kleenex of music players). Microsoft is late to the game and misguided in what they're doing trying to use "artists" like this bozo to bring people into their stores.

Maybe they should try getting their hardware manufacturing "partners" to step up and start making products that people want to buy - that people line up for.
  • Reply 19 of 128

I think the guy looks a little like Captain America before they gave him the serum.

Tallest Skil, that's the funniest thing I've ever seen on here.  Love MC Gates and MC Ballmer at the mics.

• Reply 20 of 128

Give him a reward for putting those Windows boxes out of their misery...