Facebook reaches 1 billion active monthly users

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg announced on Thursday that his social networking service now has more than one billion active monthly users.

The announcement was made via a post to his official Facebook page on Thursday morning. He thanked users for giving him and his "little team the honor of serving you."

"Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life," Zuckerberg wrote. "I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too."

The Facebook CEO also sat down for an interview with Matt Lauer of NBC. There he revealed that the service added 200 million new users in the last year.

Zuckerberg also revealed that he was inspired by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in his managerial style and emphasis on user experience. For his part, Jobs was also said to have admired Zuckerberg, saying he had an "intuitive feel" for company needs and passion.

"He was just so focused, right?" Zuckerberg said. "I mean for him, the user experience was the main thing that mattered, the only thing that mattered, and I think there's a lot that every company can learn from that.

"We've had a lot of that philosophy too, which is we just want to stay maniacally focused on building the best product for those people, and I think that's the path to building a great business and, you know, I think that's something that Steve understood more than most."

An excerpt from Zuckerberg's interview with Lauer was released earlier this week, in which he revealed that Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook sent him a free iPhone 5 as a goodwill gesture. The Facebook founder, however, noted that more people use Facebook on Android devices than on the iPhone, and Zuckerberg declined to say which mobile device he thinks is the best.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    And only 800,000,000 of them are automated advertisements from games people play or companies they have liked in order to enter various contests or in attempts to earn some sort of rewards points.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The interview with Mark Zuckerberg was good. Matt Lauer interviewed me on August 14, 2012 on the Today Show. He was very kind and fair.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

How active can they be, if they're wasting their time on Facebook?

• Reply 4 of 16

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Lookout, Google+. Facebook is snapping at your heels.

heh...

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 5 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Egobook.

• Reply 6 of 16
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Facebook is the ultimate platform for the "me" mentality to gather lots of people around you and scream...

"LOOK AT ME !!!!!!!"

Intelligence drain continues.

• Reply 7 of 16
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The interview with Mark Zuckerberg was good. Matt Lauer interviewed me on August 14, 2012 on the Today Show. He was very kind and fair.

That was you?  That was an awesome story, very cool.

• Reply 8 of 16
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Facebook is the ultimate platform for the "me" mentality to gather lots of people around you and scream...

"LOOK AT ME !!!!!!!"

Intelligence drain continues.

So true.

For myself, I'm using FB less and less these days.  Everyone is either bragging about how "good" their lives are, or complaining about how "bad" their lives are.  It's great for connecting to friends and family, sharing pictures, etc. But as a daily vehicle for communication, I'm done with it.  

Frankly, I'm using Shared Photo Streams more these days with family and a few friends, just for sharing pictures and comments.  

• Reply 9 of 16
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Again, as I have pointed out, WRONG! Facebook has an aggregate base of 1 billion user ACCOUNTS! Why everyone seems to equate every account with a unique users is beyond me. There are at least 150-200 million accounts that are duplicates, deactivated, dormant, fake, used only for games, what have you. I have three accounts, one I use for gaming, another one I logged into for the first time in three years. Does that make three separate active monthly users?  A lot of other people I know on FB have three, even four accounts. 

• Reply 10 of 16
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    1 billion suckers. It seems like proportion of these people to total Internet population peaks at around 50%. The growth just comes from the new Internet users.
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/facebook.com

In fact global reach is slightly down by 1% last three months
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

That was you?  That was an awesome story, very cool.

Thanks! Yeah, "the guy on the right" is an Apple Insider addict...

• Reply 12 of 16
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Did you say "Hi," to Hope Solo for me?

• Reply 13 of 16
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

10,000 bands,

200,000 companies and businesses

300 million gradeschoolers

200 million "serious" users

and the other 500 million are the Moms, Dads, Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents checking up on the first 500 million!

• Reply 14 of 16

Who gives a damn? Facebook sucks unless you are a 15 year old female.

• Reply 15 of 16
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Lookout, Google+. Facebook is snapping at your heels.

heh...

Hah.  And Facebook still doesn't make enough money to justify their IPO.  And Google+ is still a better service, no matter that it has less people.  

• Reply 16 of 16

Okay........