Samsung expected to launch 'Galaxy S3 Mini' at Oct. 11 event

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As the iPhone 5 has adopted a bigger 4-inch screen, Samsung is expected to go in the other direction and develop a smaller smartphone based on its popular Galaxy S series.

Samsung sent out invitations this week for an event set to be held on Oct. 11. As noted by Unwired View, the invites sent out in Germany tease that Samsung will show "how big small can be."

The Galaxy S III, Samsung's current flagship smartphone, sports a 4.8-inch display. Apple also opted to go bigger with the new iPhone 5, which has a 4-inch display, increasing from the 3.5-inch screen found on previous handsets made by the company.

Earlier reports from last week had suggested that Samsung was planning to release a so-called "Galaxy S III Mini." That device is expected to match screen size of the iPhone 5 with a 4-inch display.

Other rumored specifications for the smaller Galaxy S III include a 5-megapixel camera, dual-core processor, and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

Samsung

The invitation includes an "S" in the background, suggesting that the product's name will fall in line with the Galaxy S branding that Samsung has used for its flagship Android products for years.

After it launched this summer, the Galaxy S III passed Apple's iPhone 4S to become the top selling smartphone in the U.S. Its reign is expected to be short, however, with last month's launch of the iPhone 5 reaching a record setting 5 million in the product's first three days of availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    "how big small can be."

...said no man, ever.

Samsung following Apple. How original. Anyone else feeling 'deja vu?'
  • Reply 2 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

K.

*yawn*

• Reply 3 of 127
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    allenbf wrote: »
    "how big small can be."
    ...said no man, ever.

Everyday. Everyone copies Apple- life didn't exist before Apple. :lol:
  • Reply 4 of 127
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    K.

*yawn*

Funny I feel the exact same way about an iPad mini too.
  • Reply 5 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

All over again....

• Reply 6 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Everyday. Everyone copies Apple- life didn't exist before Apple. image

Yours certainly didn't.

• Reply 7 of 127
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Really? they are copying the Apple "mini" naming scheme too..
  • Reply 8 of 127
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

"how big small can be."

...said no man, ever.

Really?  where is iPhone 5 Mini?

• Reply 9 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Really?  where is iPhone 5 Mini?

Are you denying that Samsung hasn't copied Apple?  I'm not talking about the name, so much as it's "monkey see, monkey do.'  

$1 Billion verdict.  I don't have to say anything else.

• Reply 10 of 127

Quote:

"how big small can be."

...said no man, ever.

Sure. It's not like Samsung hasn't sold phones at 4.0in 2 years ago, still do, and may in the future, or anything....

There's plenty of places Samsung's ripped off Apple, but this just isn't one of them.

• Reply 11 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'm sorry I thought I'd logged into the Apple gadget rumor website, my bad this must be an Android site ...
  • Reply 12 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Sure. It's not like Samsung hasn't sold phones at 4.0in 2 years ago, still do, and may in the future, or anything....

There's plenty of places Samsung's ripped off Apple, but this just isn't one of them.

Again, I didn't say they are ripping Apple off.  I said "monkey see, monkey do."

• Reply 13 of 127
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Everyday. Everyone copies Apple- life didn't exist before Apple. image

Of course life existed. It was just all in ugly beige boxes, with zero attention to detail, only to be thrown away in the landfill and toxic dumps.

But of course, you already knew that...

• Reply 14 of 127
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Cave!
  • Reply 15 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sammy, the next "small" thing is already here: the iphone.

I guess Sammy's hedging its bets. They'll release 3", 3.5" and 4" models for the GS3.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    isheldon wrote: »
    Funny I feel the exact same way about an iPad mini too.

I'll be interested in seeing where apple and other CEs take the platform. Ideal for home automation/integration, Home theater, how 'bout in-car snap-in to replace those custom displays used for gps, backup camera, audio, radio. If the price is right and iRule works with the resolution, perhaps I'll get one to replace the iPad 2 which is a waste of horsepower as an HT and environmental control.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

I think it would be a smart move for Samsung to come out with a 3.5" screen Galaxy 3S. They would be taking advantage of Apple's biggest weakness in regards to phones, i.e. their one screen fits all policy.

Like it or not, Samsung is making some great phones while Apple seems to be on cruise control. Right now, Samsung is making phones for people that love tech while Apple is making phones for people that don't/can't understand tech.

-kpluck (soon to be former iPhone user)

• Reply 18 of 127
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    In other news, they have a commercial ready that shows how the screen perfectly fits the span of someone's right thumb. Another ad asks rhetorically how something smaller can get bigger.
  • Reply 19 of 127
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Are you denying that Samsung hasn't copied Apple?  I'm not talking about the name, so much as it's "monkey see, monkey do.'  

$1 Billion verdict.  I don't have to say anything else.

I think everyone copies each other. In fact, I can't stop thinking about Braun T3 Radio when I look at iPods or iPhones; or Braun's LEI speaker when Apple's iMac.  We'll talk when Apple comes up with something *original*.

Apple lost the GUI lawsuit against Microsoft years back; there are still Apple fanboys out there claiming that Microsoft, a legitimate licensee of Xerox's patents, stole Apple's GUI. So what's your point again?

PS. I have no doubt Samsung piggybacked on Apple's successful marketing.

• Reply 20 of 127
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

I think it may have been a mis-translation - it is in fact close to "See how big a pile of sh*t Samsung can be"