iPad mini renderings offer best look yet at rumored tablet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Using data compiled from the numerous purported iPad mini leaks, a graphic designer has created a a 3-D CAD drawing and corresponding concept renderings, offering some of the most detailed views of the much rumored tablet.

iPad mini Rendering
Source: Martin Hajek

Martin Hajek, who in June set the media all atwitter with his photorealistic renderings of the iPhone 5, has released a new batch of illustrations for Apple's so-called "iPad mini."

While not placed in a "real-life" setting, as his iPhone 5 renderings were, the iPad mini concepts are reminiscent of product shots seen on Apple's website, showing front, back and side views of the rumored device.

The classic black-bezeled design with bare aluminum back looks to be a dead ringer for previous purported leaks of the tablet's shell. If the renderings are close to Apple's final product, the iPad mini's thin side bezels lean less toward a shrunken-down version of its big brother than a sized-up iPod.

Rendering Front/Back

From the top, the rear-facing camera and mic are clearly seen, as well as the headphone jack, the flex cable of which was supposedly leaked earlier on Thursday.

Rendering top

On the bottom is a port for Apple's new Lightning connector, as well as the relocated speaker grills first seen in alleged engineering samples in July.

Rendering Bottom

Perhaps most interesting of Hajek's designs is the colored rendering, a take on the new iPod touch's metallic blue finish, giving a glimpse at what the tablet may look like if Apple decides to add colorways to the product line.

Blue iPad mini

As with all iPhones and iPads made to this date, none have shipped with color options other than black and white. Recently, the lack of color choices was slammed in a Nokia ad promoting the company's new Lumia 920 smartphone.

Finally, Hajek offers an iPhone 5-inspired version of the purported tablet, with what appears to be a black anodized aluminum shell.

Black Rendering

According to The Wall Street Journal, production of Apple's small form factor tablet has already begun, and the company is widely expected to announce the product sometime in October ahead of the lucrative holiday season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'll be buying the shit out of this.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I am assuming that the price will be, hopefully $100.00 to $125.00 less? Thats would be nice. Apple's retail sales will increase substantially.

I honestly don't see multi colors. Cost prohibited.
  • Reply 3 of 93
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    If that's it, you still can't read it outdoors so-FAIL.

On the other hand Power Support will be [I]very [/I] happy.
  • Reply 4 of 93
    Part of me wonders about the new Lightning connector because it's not strong enough to support an iPad like the 30-pin Dock Connector did (to a point, of course). It requires a redesign of docks that used the connector for some structural support, otherwise I fear that the Lightning connector will actually break inside the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I am assuming that the price will be, hopefully $100.00 to $125.00 less? Thats would be nice. Apple's retail sales will increase substantially.

I think it has to be in the area of $250 or less, or all anyone will talk about is how "Apple can't make anything cost competitive," because it basically looks very high end and if the price matches ....

I agree about the colours too.  This year's iPod colours are just hideous IMO.  

Salmon pink?  Pukey dull green?  They should have gone with the electric pink and the lime green from previous iPod nanos instead.  

• Reply 6 of 93
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    dagamer34 wrote: »
    Part of me wonders about the new Lightning connector because it's not strong enough to support an iPad like the 30-pin Dock Connector did (to a point, of course). It requires a redesign of docks that used the connector for some structural support, otherwise I fear that the Lightning connector will actually break inside the iPad.

Stuck-in-the-holeGate?
  • Reply 7 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Well since they deigned to even *make* a dock for iPhone 5, I wouldn't be surprised if they screw iPad mini users as well.  

On the other hand, Apple often does this slight of hand deal where they know they don't have the production capacity to do something right away, so they release a statement similar to the one about the iPhone 5 dock where they claim "no one wants one anyway."  Then six months later when they have the time and capacity they release one (the one they were always going to release anyway), they do, and then claim they are "responding to their customers needs," or some similar convenient BS.  It's a smart thing to do but the deceitfulness of it bugs me.  

• Reply 8 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

If that's it, you still can't read it outdoors so-FAIL.

On the other hand Power Support will be very happy.

If you mean "FAIL," as in it's something you personally won't buy, fine.

If you mean "FAIL," as in it's something that will tank in the market, I think you may be incorrect.

• Reply 9 of 93

Those renderings look great. One fault I see though, the apple does not seem centered vertically; it seems too low. On the actual iPad mini it'll be slightly higher than center, looks better aesthetically, one of those little details that I love about Apple's products. I hope they break tradition and release colors, give it a more playful feel than the 'daddy' iPad, but I doubt it. Lastly, there's no way this thing is selling for less than 399, not when their new iPod touch starts at 299 (at this time, Apple has virtually no incentive to make it cheaper anyway).

• Reply 10 of 93
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I hope these turn out to be accurate because they look great. 

• Reply 11 of 93

While I doubt there will be colors I am really digging the black anodized shell.  It would be great if I could get a MacBook Pro in the color as well.

• Reply 12 of 93
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Looking a that it makes perfect sense. My guess is that even the most vociferous pre-release dissers out there (here) will quiet down pretty damn quickly. On the subject of the iPad mini, that is.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    gunslinger wrote: »
    While I doubt there will be colors I am really digging the black anodized shell.  It would be great if I could get a MacBook Pro in the color as well.
    My guess is that that these mini iPads will replace millions of touches. In other words, they will be targeted at a young audience and so colors is not a ridiculous assumption. A lot of kids will proclaim that their next iPod will be an iPad mini.
  • Reply 14 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAdComics View Post

If you mean "FAIL," as in it's something you personally won't buy, fine.

If you mean "FAIL," as in it's something that will tank in the market, I think you may be incorrect.

Agreed.  I don't know why people say e-Ink is so great anyway.  I thought it was a brilliant idea until I actually tried to use a kindle.  It practically made my eyes bleed.  

The page refresh is so slow you can see it happening as great stripes of text are replaced from the top of the screen down, (and you have to wait for it too).  It also is quite legible in direct sunlight, but almost unreadable under any other kind of lighting conditions.  You actually have to sit under a reading lamp with the thing just like a regular book or you can't see the page half the time.  I found the grey text on slightly lighter grey background gave me eye fatigue and ultimately, headaches after a while also.  

Mostly it reminded me of trying to read an old paperback in a dimly lit room.  So .. realistic? yes.  Easy on the eyes?  Not at all.  

Give your child a kindle for Xmas only if you want them to be wearing thick glasses by the time they are 20.   :-)

• Reply 15 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My guess is that that these mini iPads will replace millions of touches. In other words, they will be targeted at a young audience and so colors is not a ridiculous assumption. A lot of kids will proclaim that their next iPod will be an iPad mini.

I can agree with many kids would prefer it over the Touch.  My thought however is the cost associated with producing several colors would drive the price up.

• Reply 16 of 93
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    These renderings seem to highlight a WiFi version. Anyone suspect if there will be 3G minimum and would LTE make it too expensive or too hot to hold?
  • Reply 17 of 93
    Add me in as a definite buyer as long as the price is not above $350 or so. It will make a great travel companion on the train each day, where an iPad is just too big.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    Industrial designer here.

Logo is too low. Apple would put it in the 1st 3rd of the display area.

Design 101. Rule of 3rds.
  • Reply 19 of 93
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

These renderings seem to highlight a WiFi version. Anyone suspect if there will be 3G minimum and would LTE make it too expensive or too hot to hold?

Definitely not too hot... I can hold an iPhone 5 ;-)

Side note:  Just asked my wife if she'd buy one of these and showed it to her.  She said "Sure- I don't know what I'd use it for, but I like it".  lol

• Reply 20 of 93
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    comsidering the current iPod touch will be roughly in the same price range, I think it's possible to see multi colors.
    I like that the rendering show very few native apps. chrome replacing the safari too. Wonder if that's a conscious little jab referring to current events?