Rumor: Unknown iPad model with A6 series chip appears in developer's access logs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An iPad carrying the never-before-seen "iPad3,6" designation was reportedly discovered by an app developer in his app analytics log, with the purported device running what looks to be an ARMv7 processor, the same architecture used in Apple's A6 SoC.

A6
Source: Chipworks

As noted by MacRumors, the unique "iPad3,6" designation points to a new version of the current 9.7-inch iPad, which carries the "iPad3,1," "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3" naming scheme for existing iterations of the device, and not the much-rumored "iPad mini."

While mere speculation, the unknown device could be a slightly tweaked third-generation iPad with Lightning connector support, possibly meant to bring parity to the full-sized tablet's charging system and Apple's recently-released iPhone 5 and upcoming iPod products.

In August, a separate report found a pair of iPads in a developer's access logs bearing the "iPad2,5" and "iPad2,6," designations thought to be the identifiers of Apple's rumored 7.85-inch "iPad mini."

While not entirely out of the realm of possibility, the iPad mini is not expected to use an A6-based chip and is thought to instead leverage a variant of Apple's A5 series found in the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. The small form factor tablet is widely believed to carry a non-Retina display, meaning it won't require the same processing power as the third-generation iPad, which itself uses a modified A5 chip.

Apple is expected to debut the 7.85-inch iPad sometime this October, however there has been little information regarding an updated third-generation iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Nice.  Can't wait to see it.

I wonder if the iPad Mini will have the cell unit built in for AT&T and Verizon?  NVM.  I saw an older post showing a sim tray.  Still one can't be sure until you see the real thing.  But given the iPhone 5 posts before its release I would say the iPad mini will have the cell unit built in.

• Reply 2 of 64
    The plot thickens.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I was bracing myself to expect an A5 chip, which is still extremely fast. I will be pleasantly surprised if this sports an A6 variant.
  • Reply 4 of 64

Perhaps the iPad mini with an A6 and and iPad 4 later this year with an A7. I can see the iPhone and iPad mini using the same chipsets and the iPad using a generation above chip each year.

• Reply 5 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'm holding out for the A8. /smile

I hope Audi are OK with all this!

Soli did predict the mini might well have the A6.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Nice.  Can't wait to see it.

I wonder if the iPad Mini will have the cell unit built in for AT&T and Verizon?  ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I was bracing myself to expect an A5 chip, which is still extremely fast. I will be pleasantly surprised if this sports an A6 variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Perhaps the iPad mini with an A6 and and iPad 4 later this year with an A7. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

...  Soli did predict the mini might well have the A6.

It says right in the article that this is *not* likely to be the iPad mini.  It's a new, "new iPad."

It makes no sense for a smaller iPad running 1024x768 resolution to use the A6.  

• Reply 7 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gazoobee wrote: »

It says right in the article that this is *not* likely to be the iPad mini.  It's a new, "new iPad."

I don't think what the article says on a rumor site is worth worrying about too much, Soli's opinions rate far higher in my book. Having said that, you could be right but it isn't totally an impossible thing to imagine if it helped in mass production costs even if overkill.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

iPhone has a smaller resolution, yet it uses an A6...

• Reply 9 of 64

I just posted this in another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's a weird issue:

My iPad 2 processes Apple Maps faster than my iPad 3... and the iP5 is faster than either of them.

Maybe it's time to bump the capabilities of the iPad 3???

If, in fact we have a double-barrel iPad announcement -- iPad Mini and tweaked iPad 3 (or iPad 3S) then it could be game, set and match for the "tablet" market!

• Reply 10 of 64
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I just posted this in another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's a weird issue:

My iPad 2 processes Apple Maps faster than my iPad 3... and the iP5 is faster than either of them.

Maybe it's time to bump the capabilities of the iPad 3???

If, in fact we have a double-barrel iPad announcement -- iPad Mini and tweaked iPad 3 (or iPad 3S) then it could be game, set and match for the "tablet" market!

I think you nailed it.

• Reply 11 of 64
    Apple A6 uses ARMv7s architecture, not ARMv7.
  • Reply 12 of 64

In scenic areas of Switzerland such as Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald (both show better on Google iOS maps), they have some very sensible building regulations.  If you want to build a new structure, you must first build a temporary framework that represents the size, shape, location and orientation of the proposed structure.  The framework must remain for a given period of time so that interested parties can evaluate and comment on the proposed structure before it can be built.  It is felt that this 3D framework, with its illustration of views blocked, etc. provides a much better mechanism than artist drawings and architectural plans.

With that thought in mind:

We so need to get the Apple Maps on OS X.

We so need to make the Apple Maps FlyOver APIs available for developers.

When in 3D mode, Apple Maps appears to build the maps in layers (bottom to top/back to front) so it might be possible to:

1. stop displaying a building that overlays the front of another building

2. insert a manually constructed 3D representation of a new facade or building

3. see how it would look if you were to tear down an existing building and replace it with another

4. provide a navigation path through the area

5. manipulate rotate all this interactively in 3D

Think of the possibilities for architects and engineers!

Think of the possibilities for movie-makers who could make scenes containing real places and buildings with virtual additions -- all created and manipulated without going on site.

• Reply 13 of 64
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    My iPhone4,1 (4S) and iPad3,3 (3gen LTE GSM) are both ARMv7, I don't see any reason to conclude that this would be an A6. It has also been rumored that the iPad 3gen would eventually be downgraded to the Lightning Connector and reviewed to address the heat issues.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In scenic areas of Switzerland such as Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald (both show better on Google iOS maps), they have some very sensible building regulations.  If you want to build a new structure, you must first build a temporary framework that represents the size, shape, location and orientation of the proposed structure.  The framework must remain for a given period of time so that interested parties can evaluate and comment on the proposed structure before it can be built.  It is felt that this 3D framework, with its illustration of views blocked, etc. provides a much better mechanism than artist drawings and architectural plans.

We have the same thing in Orange County. If there is a scenic view involved you have put up the sticks.

And by the way SketchUp does this to perfection.

• Reply 15 of 64
    mstone wrote: »
    We have the same thing in Orange County. If there is a scenic view involved you have put up the sticks.

Well, you have some of the most beautiful views in the state, country, world.

If it were up to me, I'd fly those 3D planes up and down both coasts and digitize some of the most breathing/beautiful destinations in the US, And do a few helicopter rides down the canyons on the Big Island and Alaska.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Apple isn't about to 'tweak' something just for the plug. If that was their style they would have changed the iPhone 4 and 4s already.

IF, and it's a big if, they were going to do a double it would be the iPad mini and the iPad 4th Gen on a new pre holiday release schedule.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    charlituna wrote: »

Apple isn't about to 'tweak' something just for the plug. If that was their style they would have changed the iPhone 4 and 4s already.

IF, and it's a big if, they were going to do a double it would be the iPad mini and the iPad 4th Gen on a new pre holiday release schedule.

OK.! I like your logic! Let's say the "new iPad" was a placeholder. So, the iPad 4 is announced for November availability with something like A6, 2GB RAM, up to. 128 GB SSD... I don't know if they can add additional CPU or GPU cores.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    I was part of the original iPhone team and have worked on iOS for 5 1/2 years. Not sure what everyone is talking about here%u2014armv7s is the architecture of the A6, not regular armv7. All the way back to the iPhone 3GS / original iPad, every iOS device CPU has been armv7.

I'm hoping the article just had a typo and the actual discovery here is armv7s.
  • Reply 19 of 64

Haha, nice joke...

There will probably be an iPad mini.

But I hope their isn't.

• Reply 20 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So we're either talking about an A6/32nm 7.85" iPad, or a mid-cycle Pad (3) update that uses the A5X/32nm or A6X/32nm for longer battery life and/or a smaller, lighter chassis. I'm going with the iPad mini/iBook.